You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition
  3. Finally got a Switch and this game and now I have a couple of questions...

User Info: Zanthion

Zanthion
1 month ago#11
Now I have another question: what are the Damage Taken requirements for getting an A rank in Adventure Mode? I can tell that "1" Damage Taken equals 1/4 of a Heart, but how many can I lose before I drop down to B Rank? I was fighting with Darunia and took a ton of damage in a barrier keep in one early mission. I was sure I had lost A rank, but I didn't. Is it relative to the health bar now? I remember the limit being either 4000 damage or 10,000 damage before, which was something like 10 hearts or 25 hearts, or something like that. Is it different now?

User Info: SmokeRulz

SmokeRulz
1 month ago#12
Zanthion posted...
Now I have another question: what are the Damage Taken requirements for getting an A rank in Adventure Mode? I can tell that "1" Damage Taken equals 1/4 of a Heart, but how many can I lose before I drop down to B Rank? I was fighting with Darunia and took a ton of damage in a barrier keep in one early mission. I was sure I had lost A rank, but I didn't. Is it relative to the health bar now? I remember the limit being either 4000 damage or 10,000 damage before, which was something like 10 hearts or 25 hearts, or something like that. Is it different now?

Yes it is different now. 1 damage no longer equates to 1/4 of a heart, which is how it was in the previous two games. The "Damage Taken" number you see in the menu screen is now actually a percentage (they just didn't add the % symbol) of your total health. So if you lose half of your maximum hearts in a mission (whether you heal or not), you'll see a 50 up there. Damage from barrier keeps is now pretty much irrelevant, and it is now MUCH easier to get damage A-ranks and 2nd Skulltulas.

A-rank requirements are dependant on how hard the individual levels are on the map. Easy levels (No Color/Green zones) are 1000 KOs and sub-100% damage. Medium levels (Yellow/Purple/Orange) are 1200 KOs and sub-150% damage. Hard levels (Blue/Red) are 1600 KOs and sub-200% damage. Time limit for A-ranks is always sub-15 minutes. 2nd Skulltulas require sub-40% damage and other requirements.

As you can probably tell, this is one of a few new reasons (Heart Power being the other) that collecting Heart Pieces/Containers is now very rewarding, as the higher your health gets, the easier it is to A-rank for damage.

Zanthion
1 month ago#13
Wow, I was totally off. I had no idea it worked like that now. Neat. That should make some of the later missions much less stressful.

Zanthion
3 weeks ago#14
I have another question now: did they add enemies to this version of the game? It seems like I'm racking up many more KO's than I remember doing in the past. Or maybe my memory is just faulty. But I was wondering if the Switch had greater processing power, enabling the designers to load more enemies in the levels, or something. 'Cause it sure seems like I'm even more of a one-man murderous army than I used to be.

SmokeRulz
3 weeks ago#15
Zanthion posted...
I have another question now: did they add enemies to this version of the game? It seems like I'm racking up many more KO's than I remember doing in the past. Or maybe my memory is just faulty. But I was wondering if the Switch had greater processing power, enabling the designers to load more enemies in the levels, or something. 'Cause it sure seems like I'm even more of a one-man murderous army than I used to be.

There's definitely an enemy increase, yes. There's no scientific data on how many they added or anything, but there's absolutely more of them, and the game can process more around you. This, combined with the utility of fairy nukes, is likely why the A-rank requirement jumped to 1600 on certain late-map stages. Usually I get 2000 KOs without even really trying to.

Zanthion
2 weeks ago#16
I'll say something else about the Definitive Edition: Zelda looks really good in her BotW costume. Like, really good. Especially when equipped with the rapier. It's such a natural, obvious, and effortless combination that it has made me wonder, for the first time ever, what it would be like to have an active Zelda, either as an AI partner or a second controllable character, in a legitimate Legend of Zelda game. I love doing missions that allow me to pick two characters and selecting Link and Zelda with swords in their BotW costumes. They look so good together. After the battle is over I try to have them pose together. Now I'll be legit angry if the next Zelda game does not feature these two iterations of the characters going off on an adventure together (that's what I was hoping for out of the next Zelda anyway, but seeing it work so well here confirmed it). Why does Princess Zelda always have to disappear for, like, 99% of the Zelda games, Nintendo? Stop doing this!

(Link's BotW outfit doesn't work quite as well here, in my opinion. Something about the hair just doesn't seem right. But man, oh man, BotW Zelda's outfit just fits so perfectly on HW Zelda, especially when she's wielding a sword. How cool would it have been if BotW had been about this Zelda pairing up with that Link for an adventure across Hyrule together? Ugh... must stop dreaming...!)
(edited 2 weeks ago)

SmokeRulz
2 weeks ago#17
Zanthion posted...
snip

I'd totally be down for a game where we can play as either Link or Zelda. Or maybe both, like at different parts of the game or something. Zelda has done enough fighting outside of the main series by this point, in the likes of Smash Bros and Hyrule Warriors.

User Info: raistmaj42

raistmaj42
2 weeks ago#18
SmokeRulz posted...
Zanthion posted...
snip

I'd totally be down for a game where we can play as either Link or Zelda. Or maybe both, like at different parts of the game or something. Zelda has done enough fighting outside of the main series by this point, in the likes of Smash Bros and Hyrule Warriors.

Perhaps sometimes like Spirit Tracks, where she assists in (a) certain dungeon(s).
Or begin with a conflict like Twilight Princess, playing solely as Princess & Cmdr Zelda, taking on the horde of invaders with the help of multiple races & factions (mainly so you get a feel for someone with Epic levels of Divine Magic and skills, a la Darksiders). When you / your side has all but declared victory, one of the (end-game) bosses shows up and annihilates most of your forces so quickly, you don't see it until too late. You can see only glimpses of it moving, until it faces you. A quick, one-sided, losing battle against only the one causes Zelda to auto-surrender, to protect survivors & your people, as she saw even more powerful creatures (the various "dungeon" bosses) just walking over, in absolutely no hurry (for they consider themselves the heroes of their own story, and the Hero always arrive "fashionably late").

Cue Link waking up.
Typical LoZ game for a while, until the Princess rescue mission. When Link makes it to the prison area, Zelda decides to make use of the chaos from Link's invasion to rescue her-(your-)self.
You, as Zelda again, go off on various (relatively short) missions from time to time to save/regain allies, and seek out information on how to re-gain control of Hyrule from the (formerly) mythical beasts she saw before her capture (usually non-combat-focused missions, as she wants to avoid attention, being a fugitive under the new ruler and all that), inter-sparsed with the regular missions and game-play as Link.
On occasion they happen to be in same area / dungeon, and work together (with her disdain, since he seemed "too weak" to defeat her jailer when they first met, so she did it with an improvised weapon instead of letting him finish) to make it through, for different purposes (Link goes for items / bosses, Zelda for "lost knowledge" / hostages). Eventually she comes to understand enough of the knowledge / prophecies that she realizes that her "rival", Link, *is* the "hidden weapon" of Hyrule she seeks. Or more specifically, his eternally reborn spirit. Together they over-come the puzzles for the lost "Divine Blade" that only the "eternal protector" may wield, with her help.

Thus the 2nd arc begins...
...and she continues believing he's too dense & quiet to be a hero. So do all of her allies.

---
Bleh. Wrote *way* too many tangential ideas for that to be entirely comprehensible, but sounds like a LoZ game in that aspect...
(edited 2 weeks ago)

Zanthion
2 weeks ago#19
I'm not so certain about letting Zelda have entire sections of the game to herself. Part of her appeal is that she's so mysterious and enigmatic that we can't help wondering about her and wishing we could see more of her, and part of the reason for that mysteriousness is precisely because we don't see enough of her as we'd like.* Sometimes, less truly is more, and I think a big part of Princess Zelda's popularity as a character is due precisely to her relative lack of screentime in her own games. Overexposing her runs the risk of damaging that appeal and harming her popularity (after all, we have plenty of games with, for example, Princess Peach in them, and nobody is clamoring seriously for more of those). So I would be very cautious about, say, giving her her own game, or devoting entire sections of a game exclusively to her. But allowing her to travel around with Link, accompany him into dungeons, help out in boss fights, and maybe be controllable for brief stretches like the helper characters in Wind Waker? Absolutely. I'm more than ready for that. In fact, such a gameplay gimmick is far past due. They should've been implementing a "Hero and Princess" partner-type system, at least on a limited basis, as far back as TP.

I would still want the option to play the entire game as Link, though. To me, that's a very important aspect of the Legend of Zelda mythos. Zelda's legend is being told from the perspective of a humble boy from the farm (or forest or whatever). Losing that connection with Link would be losing a big part of what makes this series work. So even though I definitely think there's room to allow Zelda to be more visible and prominent and active in the games, I don't think it should happen at the expense of removing the player from Link (at least, not any longer than the sections in WW where we briefly controlled Medli, Makar, or that weird statue thing).

*The same principle applies to the Black Widow character from the Marvel movies, which is why I, personally, believe that giving her her own movie will ultimately prove to be a mistake. A male example of this is Professor Dumbledore from Harry Potter, who gets less interesting the more we know about him.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

Zanthion
1 week ago#20
Here's another question: with this new My Fairy mode, is it better to focus on one fairy exclusively until she's maxed out, or to spread out the development among all my fairies? Also, is it a bad thing if their stats go down when I feed them?
  1. Boards
  2. Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition
  3. Finally got a Switch and this game and now I have a couple of questions...