Make rank a separate mode

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Bayonetta 3
  3. Make rank a separate mode

User Info: 17chris

17chris
10 months ago#41
GoukiAkujiki posted...
Better idea: Remove the Easy and Auto modes. Bring action games back to where they made players actually play. Casuals who play Bayo 1 or 2 on Very Easy and then shelve it, or even worse go out and give their opinions on the game, shouldn't exist. Normal mode is for normal people, if you're not normal get a new hobby.

This, You have idiots play the game on Easy/Auto then complain the game is a button masher. My brother did this but he didn't really complain he just said he didn't know what he was doing to trigger those moves and I had to explain what "Auto" meant.

User Info: bvillebro

bvillebro
10 months ago#42
Raeng posted...
Other games that a lot of the people in this very thread like have done this like Metal Gear Rising where you can skip the whole ranking screen by mashing jump.

probably the most infuriating part about trying to get perfect rankings are hidden battles. some are easily found via exploring, but MGR was particularly notable for how easy it was to miss certain fights, in conjunction with how quick the game autosaves, which can make ranking nightmarish

Bayo 2 had some pretty bad backtracking needed to access certain verses, especially the one in the chapter with the Sloth/Resentment

These type of things should be kept to a minimum imo, ranking should be based on your combat, not trying to find hidden stuff. The worst offender imo is DMC4, which ties orbs to your ranks. And not just orbs from battle, but the hidden environmental orbs. Just plain tedious

I think DMC3 did rankings fine within that game. Time was always lenient, item usage shouldnt be a part of your game anyway, but it scaled nicely based on the item, damage dished out, style and damage taken were all good. Thats prolly my favorite game to go back and style though, and one of few games where I still feel free to play how i want while obtaining SS ranks on DMD difficulty (or its equivalents) without feeling like im playing fetch or having to deal with insta-death QTEs (Bayo, MGR etc)
Learning something new everyday

User Info: Raeng

Raeng
10 months ago#43
bvillebro posted...
I think DMC3 did rankings fine within that game. Time was always lenient, item usage shouldnt be a part of your game anyway, but it scaled nicely based on the item, damage dished out, style and damage taken were all good. Thats prolly my favorite game to go back and style though, and one of few games where I still feel free to play how i want while obtaining SS ranks on DMD difficulty (or its equivalents) without feeling like im playing fetch or having to deal with insta-death QTEs (Bayo, MGR etc)

SS-ranking DMC3 was a bit annoying though thanks to hidden-orb caches being one time per save, meaning some chapters would be really hard to SS-rank if you had gotten the orb cache already.

GoukiAkujiki posted...

As for NGB, it's one of my favorite games of all time. But when I first starts playing it I felt wrong using items without penalty, coming from DMC background.

To a point, but the mechanics are vastly different. Especially in NG2, where you can't really no-damage the game without breaking it down into a cheese fest, and even then it took one guy nearly 3 years of loading checkpoints to do it. Ninja Gaiden 2 is about dying slower than your enemies. NGB is also a lot harder than DMC in general, containing button-reading enemies. If you do a walljump for instance and there's a red ninja, you will get grabbed and there's nothing you can do about it. In NG item usage, money balance etc are generally a big part of any run. Even great players like Big and Joe use them. Mostly because if you don't, you're looking at a really painful experience (a no-cheese, no UT, no heal run is a nightmare).

GoukiAkujiki posted...
I do agree about ND though, it's a nice "easy" mode because you still have to learn to play. We were actually talking about this recently over there if you want to pop in and add your thoughts.

@GoukiAkujiki could you link the topic? I can't seem to find it (maybe I have the TC on ignore).
http://www.stingermagazine.com - articles on the action genre's best.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC09UqeY80WzoWMnxRkL4Tkw - challenge runs.

User Info: bvillebro

bvillebro
10 months ago#44
Raeng posted...
SS-ranking DMC3 was a bit annoying though thanks to hidden-orb caches being one time per save, meaning some chapters would be really hard to SS-rank if you had gotten the orb cache already.

agreed, though to a lesser degree imo

my biggest annoyance was a lack of checkpoint. makes missions like 12 and 19 (imo the hardest missions to SS rank in the game) absolutely brutal, because taking even the chippiest of chip damage costs you your rank

And avoiding damage in 12 while under super devil meter and facing large hoards of enemies is incresibly tedious, until the meta became allowing your health to be fully drained in the rotating gear room to function as a pseudo checkpoint. its even worse for vergil thanks to not having a proper jump and needing to trick to get around

And 19 is mostly Arkham, but thats less the overall game design and moreso him just being a b**** to fight and P2 vergil hurting more than he helps. Still an intriguing challenge but certainly not a task i like redoing
Learning something new everyday

User Info: GoukiAkujiki

GoukiAkujiki
10 months ago#45
Raeng posted...
bvillebro posted...

GoukiAkujiki posted...

As for NGB, it's one of my favorite games of all time. But when I first starts playing it I felt wrong using items without penalty, coming from DMC background.

To a point, but the mechanics are vastly different. Especially in NG2, where you can't really no-damage the game without breaking it down into a cheese fest, and even then it took one guy nearly 3 years of loading checkpoints to do it. Ninja Gaiden 2 is about dying slower than your enemies. NGB is also a lot harder than DMC in general, containing button-reading enemies. If you do a walljump for instance and there's a red ninja, you will get grabbed and there's nothing you can do about it. In NG item usage, money balance etc are generally a big part of any run. Even great players like Big and Joe use them. Mostly because if you don't, you're looking at a really painful experience (a no-cheese, no UT, no heal run is a nightmare).

GoukiAkujiki posted...
I do agree about ND though, it's a nice "easy" mode because you still have to learn to play. We were actually talking about this recently over there if you want to pop in and add your thoughts.

@GoukiAkujiki could you link the topic? I can't seem to find it (maybe I have the TC on ignore).

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/928401-ninja-gaiden-black/75985427

Topic is "This game is impossible"
  1. Boards
  2. Bayonetta 3
  3. Make rank a separate mode

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived