Is Setsuka canonically a prostitute?

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. SoulCalibur VI
  3. Is Setsuka canonically a prostitute?

User Info: LazorGuns

LazorGuns
6 days ago#1
I'm not sure if it's ever been confirmed but Setsuka's appearance in both games go beyond just fanservice, but are actually based on a oiran aka Japanese prostitute. Not only were her costumes revealing, low cut and parted in a way to reveal as much as possible, but her obi is tied in the front which is the mark of an oiran. Furthermore, she even has a move called "Oiran Kick" to hammer it home.

Yet I don't recall her backstory mentioning this, and I think it'd be very interesting if you could actually play as a prostitute in a video game. It just mentions that she's a European woman who grew up in Japan, fell in love with her master, and then sought revenge on Mitsurugi for killing him. Not too complex. It doesn't make any mention of any courtesan activities.

But is there any actual confirmation?

User Info: aton_ra

aton_ra
6 days ago#2
No.
All heroes have established their thrones atop not just their enemies, but a large quantity of allied corpses as well. There are no monarchs with clean hands.

LazorGuns
6 days ago#3
Then why did they base her off of one?

aton_ra
6 days ago#4
LazorGuns posted...

Because it looks hot and they were looking for fanservicey designs.

Japanese

Fighting

Games

It kinda comes with the territory.
All heroes have established their thrones atop not just their enemies, but a large quantity of allied corpses as well. There are no monarchs with clean hands.

LazorGuns
6 days ago#5
aton_ra posted...
LazorGuns posted...

Because it looks hot and they were looking for fanservicey designs.

Japanese

Fighting

Games

It kinda comes with the territory.

But it goes beyond fanservicey designs because they clearly gave her the motif with the obi and the hair decorations combined with the aforementioned named move.

aton_ra
6 days ago#6
Does it? She has the look and she has one of her moves named after the profession, but other than that nothing in her backstory says she was a prostitute. I think you are putting more thought into this than the developers did.

LazorGuns
6 days ago#7
aton_ra posted...
Does it? She has the look and she has one of her moves named after the profession, but other than that nothing in her backstory says she was a prostitute. I think you are putting more thought into this than the developers did.

Nah, I just remember other people calling her that and reading about how her design was based off of it and got curious that's all.

aton_ra
6 days ago#8
LazorGuns posted...
aton_ra posted...

Nah, I just remember other people calling her that and reading about how her design was based off of it and got curious that's all.

No, no, im not saying you are wrong for thinking about this, im just saying that I think the developers didn't put a ton of thought into this.

User Info: Sir_Punsalot

Sir_Punsalot
6 days ago#9
aton_ra posted...
LazorGuns posted...
aton_ra posted...

No, no, im not saying you are wrong for thinking about this, im just saying that I think the developers didn't put a ton of thought into this.

I think the devs did put some thought into it, but decided to leave much to the speculation of the fanbase.
PS3, ps4: gamersama (s*** user id I know). PsVita:uae_spetsnaz.
Official hermit of all boards, for I have achieved enlightenment. Thanks Harada.

User Info: CurtainCalls

CurtainCalls
5 days ago#10
Off topic but what made her unpopular to the fans? I mean she's one of the least liked SC girls. Moveset and Appearance wise she's cool and unique i just dont understand why she doesn't get the buzz as the others have
Yeah just.....yeah....What should my caption be? I want it to look clever...
  1. Boards
  2. SoulCalibur VI
  3. Is Setsuka canonically a prostitute?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.