• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. SoulCalibur VI
  3. Soul Calibur VI confirmed to be DUMBED DOWN

User Info: MashYouGood

MashYouGood
1 year ago#1
"We tried eliminate a lot of complex inputs and commands; because there was definitely a barrier of execution which we wanted to play down--a lot--and let the... sort of 'mind games' of the two players be the main focus of the stage."

https://youtu.be/M8ao2b-_7ak?t=198
https://www.hooktube.com/watch?v=M8ao2b-_7ak
(~3:18 mark)

Why must the fighting game genre constantly kowtow to the lowest common denominator / "casual" gamer? What is the point of a competitive game genre if you are just going to dumb it down so much, that in the end, even infants can compete with seasoned players -- as long as they have "teh mind games" to do so...?

Why cannot these crutches and the blatant watering-down of gameplay mechanics be sequestered to their own, dedicated game modes -- e.g., "Simple Modes", á la MVC3...? Why must such insulting and genre-undermining plateauing of the skill natural skill gap between players be obtruded upon everyone, in such a fascistic manner? Are we scared we will "hurt the feelings" of lazy scrubs, who cannot co-ordinate their hands with the instructions issued from their, apparently, diminutive brains; and who can only "take offence" at anything that does not pander explicitly to their handicapped-like needs...?

This disgusting, subversive practice has to stop. For it risks destroying the fighting game genre outright... Which is to say nothing of players' cognitive and motor skills!

User Info: Dr_RudyMjolnir

Dr_RudyMjolnir
1 year ago#2
So who do you guys think is being revealed today? Let's go Talim, but also show off the CaC!

User Info: qperok

qperok
1 year ago#3
SoulCalibur is about positioning, reaction, pokes, blocks, guard impacts, mind games and ring outs. Simplifying inputs to make it easier to pull off moves is actually something I welcome with open arms. It's not about pressing 20 buttons command to do one crazy super move, it's about knowing when to pull it off and tricking your opponent into a situation where you can lend it.

User Info: ik321

ik321
1 year ago#4
LOL man having a f***ing panic attack because developers realized not everyone wants to memorize long ass input strings.

This fear I've seen in some of the FGC of games becoming easier and therefore more inviting to more people"killing" the genre has never made sense to me. fighting games are already a niche genre and a ot of that is because people enjoy the concepts but when it comes to execution many check out cause the barrier is so big with execution.

It's not like the fundamental competitive nature and skill division is being erased, if anything having the technical part be easier will encourage people to want to understand the fundamental aspects of how the game works and improve because improving will be more than practicing the same combo 1000 times, they'll be able to get past that part of practice a lil faster and focus more on the flow of combat.

I'm all for it and people need to stop being elitist.

User Info: ik321

ik321
1 year ago#5
qperok posted...
SoulCalibur is about positioning, reaction, pokes, blocks, guard impacts, mind games and ring outs. Simplifying inputs to make it easier to pull off moves is actually something I welcome with open arms. It's not about pressing 20 buttons command to do one crazy super move, it's about knowing when to pull it off and tricking your opponent into a situation where you can lend it.

this

User Info: saguyakoko

saguyakoko
1 year ago#6
There is a difference between ease of entry vs simple and less intuitive game play. All games should be easy to get into. Games that are difficult to get into will always struggle to get new players beyond their base. There is a reason why every game in most games series makes small quality of life changes. These changes make playing the game easier rather than "dumbing down" the game play.

I don't think the game play has been dumbed down. It just has a new focus. It isn't about how quickly you can input CS, but more so when is the right time to do CS. This was always the case, but now it is at the forefront rather than background. Also, certain characters will retain their difficulty. They will just benefit from the game shifting focus.

I would love to play against you when the game comes out.

User Info: KoolAssAssassin

KoolAssAssassin
1 year ago#7
You can't say the game is confirmed to be dumbed down because they relaxed on input complexity, when input complexity was never really a big thing in the series to begin with. They said they are focusing more on mind games and set ups. That's pretty much what SC has always been about, so it's not dumbed down at all.
Am I the only African American on earth that likes Celtic folk music? Hmmmm

User Info: darklust

darklust
1 year ago#8
I just hope they dont "simplify" moves like they did with V

a lack of movesets and the change in animations were annoying... (speaking from a Raphael perspective)

User Info: Mama99

Mama99
1 year ago#9
No s***. It's 2018 and the developers want to appeal to lazy players who have short attention spans that compare to freaking 2 year olds.
3D fighter junky for life. Jun, Aoi and Kokoro are best girls! Kagura Mutsuki best boy!(^.<)
In Los Noches with Lord Aizen!

User Info: AirRoar

AirRoar
1 year ago#10
Complete casual here, but Soul Calibur always gave the me impression of a game that can be as complex as you want to make it.
Currently playing: Dragon's Crown Pro (PS4) / Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition (Switch)
  1. Boards
  2. SoulCalibur VI
  3. Soul Calibur VI confirmed to be DUMBED DOWN
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A