don't want guests? WAKE UP CALL

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. SoulCalibur VI
  3. don't want guests? WAKE UP CALL

User Info: KrOjah

KrOjah
4 months ago#11
Sir_Punsalot posted...
KrOjah posted...
Kantipx posted...
I guess you got a point. I did only get into the series because I am a huuuge Zelda fan and Link was in SC2. That's actually how I got started in fighting games in general. Now of course, I love the series with or without guest characters but for newcomers, they can be a good pull. Who know though. Maybe things have changed and the series will need more than a guest to get a larger following. Just gotta wait till release I suppose.

oh he has a point all right. I mean read the last sentence in the OP. The "only" reason Soul caliber continues is due to guest characters. If fact, a game can not sell thesedays unless it has characters from other games introduced.

More like games can't reach record breaking sales unless they have guest characters from mainstream series shoehorned in.
But your explanation isn't too far off the mark either

Eh? I thought I was typing gibberish, but ok.

User Info: Deanyzy

Deanyzy
4 months ago#12
Guests won't save the franchise. The Star Wars characters didn't save SCIV from suffering a massive drop in quality from SC2 and SC3 and Ezio didn't save SCV from being a rushed pos.

User Info: Hunk_of_Meat

Hunk_of_Meat
4 months ago#13
Deanyzy posted...
Guests won't save the franchise. The Star Wars characters didn't save SCIV from suffering a massive drop in quality from SC2 and SC3 and Ezio didn't save SCV from being a rushed pos.

They weren't Link lol

Deanyzy
4 months ago#14
Hunk_of_Meat posted...
Deanyzy posted...

They weren't Link lol

But SC2 still went platinum on PS2 and Xbox despite not having Link and guest characters are not vital to a game's success to begin with.

A game's quality will speak louder than gimmicky guest characters. If SCVI is a true return to form then that's what will sell the game, not the inevitable guest character.

User Info: Sir_Punsalot

Sir_Punsalot
4 months ago#15
Deanyzy posted...

Guests are like that little sprinkle you put on ice cream.
A sprinkled turd is still a turd and both IV and V were turds in their own regard.
All that a guest character would do is bring more attention to the series.
PS3, ps4: gamersama (s*** user id I know). PsVita:uae_spetsnaz.
Official hermit of all boards, for I have achieved enlightenment. Thanks Harada.

Deanyzy
4 months ago#16
Sir_Punsalot posted...
Deanyzy posted...

A sprinkled turd is still a turd and both IV and V were turds in their own regard.

But people won't throw down £40/$60 just to play a guest character if they aren't already interested in Soul Calibur. People are overestimating the selling power of guest characters.It might generate publicity but that won't translate into sales if that publicity doesn't translate into good reviews.

User Info: JillV

JillV
4 months ago#17
I don’t mind them, but quite honestly they’re a complete waste of character slot, I’d rather see a completely new character with a new fighting style than a guest character which Bamco will have to pay the rights to use in the game and it wasn’t a guest character that got me into Soulcalibur, it was the characters themselves and Amazon of course.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TUTJ0klnKk

User Info: Sir_Punsalot

Sir_Punsalot
4 months ago#18
Deanyzy posted...
Sir_Punsalot posted...
Deanyzy posted...

But people won't throw down £40/$60 just to play a guest character if they aren't already interested in Soul Calibur. People are overestimating the selling power of guest characters.It might generate publicity but that won't translate into sales if that publicity doesn't translate into good reviews.

Which is why good game (SC2) + good guest characters (link and spawn) = tons of sales.
PS3, ps4: gamersama (s*** user id I know). PsVita:uae_spetsnaz.
Official hermit of all boards, for I have achieved enlightenment. Thanks Harada.

User Info: bnmp

bnmp
4 months ago#19
I got SC first for Yoda - then I was hooked and didn't even play him much.

Still wish the Apprentice and the Assassin were customizable though.

User Info: Lost7th

Lost7th
4 months ago#20
The series Was successful long before guests where brought in.
  1. Boards
  2. SoulCalibur VI
  3. don't want guests? WAKE UP CALL

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived