Is Doctor Wily...*spoilers*

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mega Man 11
  3. Is Doctor Wily...*spoilers*

User Info: LaLiLLuLeLo

LaLiLLuLeLo
4 days ago#1
Is Doctor Wily a robot now?

There have been theories about various characters in the X series such as Serges and Isoc being Wily in disguise, and he's confirmed to have been in contact with Sigma at some point around X5, but I noticed something with the ending of Mega Man 11. Doctor Wily uses the Speed Gear after he's beaten by Mega Man when he jumps backward to surrender, and at that point his Wily Machine has been destroyed and the Double Gear system was built in such a way that it interfaces with robots or machines. If Wily used it while he had nothing else available, does that imply that Wily has roboticized himself by now, potentially leading to a way to tie him to the X series more directly than the allusions to him and his construction of Zero?

Or maybe it's just an oversight for a goofy cutscene and I'm reading too much into it.
Who are the Patriots? I am the Patriots...no, not the football team.

User Info: Endgame

Endgame
4 days ago#2
Pretty sure it was just meant to be a joke.

Also pretty sure even Inafune stopped trying to allude to the X series in the classic series after MM8. The new guys certainly didn't seem to care too much about established lore in MM11. Hell, they had Dr. Light talk to Dr. Wily as if his attempts at world domination never killed anyone. And MM8's ending does pretty much confirm Wily's robots do directly go after people. (Trying to smash a car while there were kids in it none the less!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qQYgk-c8So
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert

User Info: Linker2A03

Linker2A03
4 days ago#3
LaLiLLuLeLo posted...
Doctor Wily uses the Speed Gear after he's beaten by Mega Man when he jumps backward to surrender, and at that point his Wily Machine has been destroyed and the Double Gear system was built in such a way that it interfaces with robots or machines.

I was waiting for someone to mention this. More than likely, it's just for comedy.

However, Dr. Wily did teleport in MM4's cutscene when Proto Man betrays him. No human has teleported before. Make of that what you will.

User Info: bcornelia

bcornelia
4 days ago#4
oversight is not the right word.
Winkles acknowledge you.

User Info: GuiltyCrown

GuiltyCrown
4 days ago#5
Linker2A03 posted...
LaLiLLuLeLo posted...
Doctor Wily uses the Speed Gear after he's beaten by Mega Man when he jumps backward to surrender, and at that point his Wily Machine has been destroyed and the Double Gear system was built in such a way that it interfaces with robots or machines.

I was waiting for someone to mention this. More than likely, it's just for comedy.

However, Dr. Wily did teleport in MM4's cutscene when Proto Man betrays him. No human has teleported before. Make of that what you will.

Well, it can be explained that Dr.Wily is using high-tech teleport just like how he escaped from Right and Megaman in MM11 ending.

Actually, when Dr.Wily said it is time for Plan B, I was "OMG, another boss battle?" He got me well. :D
(edited 4 days ago)

User Info: Gargomon251

Gargomon251
4 days ago#6
LaLiLLuLeLo posted...
it's just an oversight for a goofy cutscene
"No point in having two characters that are pretty much carbon copies. Am I right?" - Viridi

User Info: rswsc0407

rswsc0407
4 days ago#7
Well he did somehow catch that roboenza virus.
Red Sox World Series Champions 2004 & 2007= My ID. PSN ID- rswsc0407

User Info: Maetch

Maetch
4 days ago#8
rswsc0407 posted...

No he didn't. He simply caught the Common Cold, the irony being that he spent so much time ruining the health of robots that he had neglected his own.

User Info: marionose84

marionose84
4 days ago#9
It is speculated that Isoc and Serges were definitely Wily.

The speculation comes from further speculation based on something Inafuni had stated about how Wily somehow integrated himself into the maverick virus.

Think of it this way: Wily is the ultimate mimic of Dr. Light. Light made X and Wily made Zero. Ergo, Light discovered a way to put his A.I. into the capsules while Wily found a way to put his A.I. into the maverick virus. Said AI was then able to possess the bodies of Serges and Isoc.

Further evidence of this is how Isoc just...shuts down and becomes a lifeless husk with X mentioning how it reminds him of the "Soul Erasure incident".

No explanation is EVER given for Isoc just randomly shutting down but it's easy to piece it all together: Wily's job was done so he abandoned Isoc (or his time in Isoc was limited due to limited energy) and he tells Zero to "Go. You're the strongest robot".

It should be noted that Inafune never denied that Serges and Wily were Isoc...but he didn't confirm either. He DID, however, admit that both Serges and Isoc's designs were inspired by Wily's design. It's also noteworthy that a voice actor who did the voice for Wily also did the voice for Isoc.

Also, Serges and Isoc are both present in X games that about Zero's body/internal workings and Isoc admitted to knowing Zero's body inside and out.

Wily also apparently built Sigma's body in X5 and it resembles Gamma from Mega Man 3. Because those X5 Sigma levels take place in a rift in cyberspace, it makes sense that Wily had more power and authority there.

It could all be a huge coincidence but I'd say it's highly probably that Wily was inhabiting Serge and Isoc in X2 and X6. Since Inafune already confirmed the virus was responsible for Wily's return, it only makes sense that Wily found a way to inhabit Serges and Isoc for a time.

As for Classic--no, he's not a robot. I know he's depicted as a robot on the covers of 9 and 10 but those are meant to be deliberate exaggerations/throwbacks to the 1/2 covers.

Perhaps Wily has some sort of cybernetic implant we're not aware of. That may help explain how he's able to transfer his DNA data into the maverick virus. Maybe the roboenza even plays into it.
It's-a me! Mario...nose!

User Info: marionose84

marionose84
4 days ago#10
Maetch posted...
rswsc0407 posted...

No he didn't. He simply caught the Common Cold, the irony being that he spent so much time ruining the health of robots that he had neglected his own.

That makes more sense. I must admit--I thought that 10 was trying to imply he contracted roboenza as well. This makes more sense, though.
It's-a me! Mario...nose!
  1. Boards
  2. Mega Man 11
  3. Is Doctor Wily...*spoilers*

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.