About the ending in Lost in Translation. (Not about the whisper) *Spoilers*

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: Home Media
  3. About the ending in Lost in Translation. (Not about the whisper) *Spoilers*

User Info: BlueSkies7776

BlueSkies7776
5 years ago#1
Someone over at IMDB said he thinks that that whole scene where Bob sees Charlotte walking down the street and gets out of his limo/car to say the final goodbye and whispers something in her ear never happened. And that Bob Harris was just fantasizing about it, wishing that this took place.

The reasoning behind this theory is that Charlotte is seen getting in the elevator (going back to her room?). Bob is also driving a little way before the car stops and he sees her. So, how could she get there on foot so fast?

I never thought of this before so when I saw the movie again with this theory in mind it kind of blew me away. So right after Charlotte gets in the elevator it cuts to Bob getting in the car, so we can believe that some time has passed. Maybe Bob took a long time to get in the car, and by the time he did Charlotte came back down and left the building.

But when the car stops and Bob spots Charlotte walking down the street, it almost seems too random for it to be true. It's hard for me to explain, but it just felt like it was a dream state that Bob happened to look over and see her walking down the street with her back towards him. It just doesn't seem likely that this would happen.

It would be more realistic for Charlotte to leave the building walking away onto the street sidewalk instead of going in the elevator, and Bob getting right into his car. He starts driving away and spots her walking down the sidewalk, then couldn't resist and stops the car and then we see the final goodbye.

But the way it was done in the movie was just weird now that I think about it.
-Why don't you wait until you're asked?
-Why don't you ask me?

User Info: nintendofrog

nintendofrog
5 years ago#2
Seems like an interesting theory. I thought it was kinda odd as well, on my last watch. I'm not really in the mood now but I'd love to spend a little time thinking about the thematic implications of such an interpretation.
http://www.last.fm/user/Nintendofrog - Feel free to add me!
http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu316/Nintoforgi/CH/blackdress6.jpg

User Info: CreekCo

CreekCo
5 years ago#3
Or maybe the whole fling was a figment of his imagination? That thought did cross my mind. I do wonder what he whispered to ScarJo everytime I watch that picture.
Are you OK? Buster Wo -- I mean, I'm doing freakin' great!
- Dan, SF x T

BlueSkies7776
5 years ago#4
I thought more people would have input on this. Anyone else?
-Why don't you wait until you're asked?
-Why don't you ask me?

User Info: CreekCo

CreekCo
5 years ago#5
If you made the topic about DAT ASS you would have had three pages of posts by now. Asking people to think deeply about a kinda obscure film isn't gonna light up the radar, sadly. You just kinda take what you can get, appreciate it and keep it moving.
Are you OK? Buster Wo -- I mean, I'm doing freakin' great!
- Dan, SF x T

User Info: rockus

rockus
5 years ago#6
How is obscure? It was nominated for best picture.

I don't see any reason to think it didn't happen. It's not unlikely that she could have just not wanted to make it seem like his departure upset her so she could have left the building another way, not to mention he still was taking part in press photos and such after he talked to her.

Plus, maybe personally I like to think it actually happened because it makes the movie more meaningful than just some flight of fancy surreal "fantasy sequence"
http://thetramp.dvdaf.com/

User Info: _Emperor_Ghoul_

_Emperor_Ghoul_
5 years ago#7
I'd have to see the film again to make any significant contribution, but I can say that I've always thought that sequence was filmed in a way to make you think he's not actually going to find her and that the girl he sees is going to be someone totally different. I remember being surprised on my first viewing that it was actually her. Maybe that means something, maybe it doesn't.
Progress make can you when reverse in be why?
Feel I how just that's cuz reverse in words speak I

BlueSkies7776
5 years ago#8
b
You knock me down, I get back up!!! I am not afraid!!! Go get something to eat!! Huuurraaayy!!!

User Info: Dullard

Dullard
5 years ago#9
I've come to really hate the 'He imagined X, Y, and Z!' theories that people have about films.
All right, dude. Groovy. Hug a rainbow.

User Info: LiquidSnake09

LiquidSnake09
5 years ago#10
Dullard posted...
I've come to really hate the 'He imagined X, Y, and Z!' theories that people have about films.

Me too. It's like everyone thinks everything has a twist, or is fake, or was somehow an imagination.
I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule
PSN: Liquid_Ice
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: Home Media
  3. About the ending in Lost in Translation. (Not about the whisper) *Spoilers*

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived