You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Valkyria Chronicles 4
  3. Rate that Unit Part 4: Kai Schulen *Character Spoilers*

User Info: PhantomMaster18

PhantomMaster18
1 month ago#1
Part 4 is here!

In part 3 I gave Raz a score of 10/10

This part will cover Kai "Deadeye" Schulen, a.k.a. Leena Schulen, Sergeant Major of Squad E

Biography

Edinburgh army first sergeant, age 23. Squad E fireteam leader. From the city of Hafen in Gallia. Loves fresh-baked bread, perhaps more than life itself. Her skill with the rifle has won her the nickname "Deadeye Kai." She seems quiet and stoic, yet driven by some fierce sense of purpose. Though she calls herself "Kai," her real name is Leena Schulen. She has switched places with her brother, and entered E by assuming his position. She originally switched with the true Kai to spy on the Federation for him. However, she's slowly re-evaluating her blind loyalty to her big brother. After the ceasefire, she and Angie hide their identities and live quiet lives together. Her love for Raz does not fade, helping her move forward.

Stats

Class: Sniper

Level 1
HP: 150
AP: 400
Aim: 25
Dodge: 15

Level 30
HP: 242
AP: 450
Aim: 78
Dodge: 36

Personal Potentials

Deadeye: She has a set chance of gaining an increase in accuracy and attack power

Empty Stomach: When her AP drops below half, she has a chance of lose HP over time.

Fool's Protector: She gets an attack increase when near Raz (Replaced in Chapter 16)

Fool's Memory: When she discovers multiple enemies, she remembers Raz and gains an increase in attack power (Replaces Fool's Protector)

Guilty Heart: When no allies are around, she suffers a decrease in defense. (Added after Chapter 9, Replaced in Chapter 12)

Independent: When no allies are around, she gains an increase in defense and evasion. (Replaces Guilty Heart)

Battle Potentials

Nest Master: Shooting from a position at the top of a ladder grants increased attack power

Extra shot: She has a chance of following up an attack by loading up one more round of ammunition

Major Accuracy: Accuracy is moderately boosted a set percentage of the time.

Eagle Eye: Her zoom-in capability is enhanced a set percentage of the time

Personal Thoughts

Despite a lot of the opinion's I've seen about Kai, I actually like her and sympathize with her reasons behind spying on the federation for the real Kai. Family is really important to some people. Not to mention I enjoyed her small bits of comedic relief with Raz(and their interactions in general). I also have to admit I really like her thicc thighs. Bias aside, I give her character traits and personality, a solid 8.5/10.

Combat wise, she is a very capable sniper because of her deadeye potential (Even if it doesn't kick in that often). Empty stomach is never a problem because she is mostly staying still in battle. Not to mention, there's two chances of getting a confirmed kill thanks to Major Accuracy and Eagle Eye. Combat potential earns her a 9.5/10.

Overall I would give Kai a very nice 9/10. Though, I wish she got a better ending along with Raz, but not all stories need to have happy endings.

And a discussion question.

If you were in Leena's position, where the family member you love the most asked you to do something that would mean betraying your country, and you DIDN'T know that it would cause the deaths of others, what would you do and why?
Dragons Dogma Xbox 360
GT: imortal511 Pawn: Yuki Lv <200 Fighter
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: RyomaOfHoshido

RyomaOfHoshido
1 month ago#2
Kai was a great sniper and was always good to have around on missions. As a character, she was interesting and fairly distinct. The whole "passing as a man thing was a little unbelievable but other than that she was a good character.
Rating: Failed trap/10
(real rating: 8/10)
14. Do not argue with trolls, it means that they win.

User Info: madmonkvlado

madmonkvlado
1 month ago#3
9, Kai is kewl OK? she is awesome but not well developed... story-related speaking ;)
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Busard

Busard
1 month ago#4
Personality, I did like her at first. But then came her brother and everything went through the hole.

Gameplay, she has solid stats through the whole game and her Fool's Memory potential can give her a needed attack buff once she unlocks it. She's a very reliable sniper.

I'll give her a 7/10.

PhantomMaster18 posted...
And a discussion question.
If you were in Leena's position, where the family member you love the most asked you to do something that would mean betraying your country, and you DIDN'T know that it would cause the deaths of others, what would you do and why?
I would have probably destroyed the transmitter and arrested the imperial spy on the spot. The brother has gone missing for a year without giving any reason why and suddenly a transmitter comes from an imp? I would have been too suspicious to trust anything about it
If I had let curiosity get the better of me, it would have taken a lot of convincing from the so-called brother at the other end of the line and I definitely would have consulted with Claude & Co. before doing anything in the first place. She just shouldn't have done that behind their backs; that was just plain wrong.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: HangJebat83

HangJebat83
1 month ago#5
8/10

Has the best ass in the Federation.
"Life is all about resolve. Outcome is secondary." Waka

User Info: PhantomMaster18

PhantomMaster18
1 month ago#6
Busard posted...

I would have probably destroyed the transmitter and arrested the imperial spy on the spot. The brother has gone missing for a year without giving any reason why and suddenly a transmitter comes from an imp? I would have been too suspicious to trust anything about it
If I had let curiosity get the better of me, it would have taken a lot of convincing from the so-called brother at the other end of the line and I definitely would have consulted with Claude & Co. before doing anything in the first place. She just shouldn't have done that behind their backs; that was just plain wrong.

I see, that's reasonable.

So, let me try to explain my thoughts on this. If you remember, Leena (as well as the rest of Squad E), didn't know why Kai left in the first place, and was still under the pretense that Kai was still on his whole secret mission.

That's why when she received the transmitter from the imperial spy, she assumed that her brother going undercover as Forseti, was all part of his big plan, and because it was her big brother, she granted his requests blindly, because she thinks that Kai is still on their side, and according to the wiki, she still wanted Kai's approval.

That is why Leena is so shocked when the comet was blown up and when he showed that he didn't care about the villages he ordered his men to pillage to get the transceiver to Leena. Because she thought that Kai had some big plan to make it to the centurion and plot with Squad E.

That's my reasoning for not hating Leena, because she didn't know any better. Sure, the blood was still on her hands for revealing the ship route to Kai, but I think she still felt a lot of guilt for it, even after the squad forgave her.

HangJebat83 posted...

Has the best ass in the Federation.

Also I agree with this wholeheartedly.
Dragons Dogma Xbox 360
GT: imortal511 Pawn: Yuki Lv <200 Fighter
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: goodJT

goodJT
1 month ago#7
Raz, you sure know how to pick'em. As for the whole Kai situation, Her guilt hurt her enough.
AKA Tykronos/Ryltex,The Glass Wraith of Gamefaqs.
https://i.imgur.com/78v9AxX.png https://i.imgur.com/1GEFq8L.png it's now a thing.

User Info: renegadedriver

renegadedriver
4 weeks ago#8
kai- the deadeye sniper was great. only things i found weird was the, lets pass you off as a man thing. i liked her story line and romance with raz. her comedic bits in the story were always fun. " they took my bread claude. my fluffy white bread!"

as a unit- i dont use snipers much in vc games, but kai is an exception. shhe was just so damn good at her job. i almost had positive potentials going off on her all the time. and even if one of her negative ones went off, it wasnt a deal breaker since shes long ranged and keeps away from combat.

final ranking- 9 out of 10
damn that swimsuit looks good on her.
currently in ky. enroute to wi
games im waiting on: tales of vespiria, kh3, re2remake, trails of cold steel 3
  1. Boards
  2. Valkyria Chronicles 4
  3. Rate that Unit Part 4: Kai Schulen *Character Spoilers*