• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Valkyria Chronicles 4
  3. Does it get better?

User Info: sirus0000

sirus0000
9 months ago#11
Atzenkiller posted...
Ren2 posted...
Atzenkiller posted...
Because halfway through the game you've unlocked or seen pretty much all the new mechanics and then it starts getting stale.

Are you suggesting that new mechanics should be introduced until the end of the game? Or that the amount of mechanics is representative of the games' depth?

I'm suggesting that a game that is designed to last for 20 hours maxed shouldn't forcefully be prolonged to last for 40+ hours. The story is definitely not why you'd play these games, which is why I couldn't force myself to play through VC3 either. At some point the game gets stale and repetitive.

renegadedriver posted...
the game does keep introducing new elements in combat maps. such as the last Vulcan fight with another way to stop it dead in its tracks, the next to last boss as well.

Oh god, please no more fights against that f***ing tank. The game is so f***ing big yet the only 2 bosses in it are basically Walz and the twins, who reappear over and over and over again. Everything else dies, but not Walz. He just magically disappears to reappear a few missions later, and again it's the same f***ing strategy to take him out: bombard him with anti tank grenades from the grenadier. So much fun.

you know there is more than one way to take him out right? you can do the grenadier path, but you can also use your tanks and lancers to do co-op attacks to basically just brute force it. Not to mention that the game add high vantage points in the last 2 maps you face him so that you can position your lancers there and aim at his radiator with lancers. So don't act like there's only one way to take a boss out in this game when there is multiple. That goes for the twins too. Not to mention the map design also get you to face these bosses differently too.

User Info: Ren2

Ren2
9 months ago#12
Atzenkiller posted...
I'm suggesting that a game that is designed to last for 20

It's designed to last more than that though.

User Info: Atzenkiller

Atzenkiller
9 months ago#13
sirus0000 posted...
Atzenkiller posted...
Ren2 posted...
Atzenkiller posted...
Because halfway through the game you've unlocked or seen pretty much all the new mechanics and then it starts getting stale.

Are you suggesting that new mechanics should be introduced until the end of the game? Or that the amount of mechanics is representative of the games' depth?

I'm suggesting that a game that is designed to last for 20 hours maxed shouldn't forcefully be prolonged to last for 40+ hours. The story is definitely not why you'd play these games, which is why I couldn't force myself to play through VC3 either. At some point the game gets stale and repetitive.

renegadedriver posted...
the game does keep introducing new elements in combat maps. such as the last Vulcan fight with another way to stop it dead in its tracks, the next to last boss as well.

Oh god, please no more fights against that f***ing tank. The game is so f***ing big yet the only 2 bosses in it are basically Walz and the twins, who reappear over and over and over again. Everything else dies, but not Walz. He just magically disappears to reappear a few missions later, and again it's the same f***ing strategy to take him out: bombard him with anti tank grenades from the grenadier. So much fun.

you know there is more than one way to take him out right? you can do the grenadier path, but you can also use your tanks and lancers to do co-op attacks to basically just brute force it. Not to mention that the game add high vantage points in the last 2 maps you face him so that you can position your lancers there and aim at his radiator with lancers. So don't act like there's only one way to take a boss out in this game when there is multiple. That goes for the twins too. Not to mention the map design also get you to face these bosses differently too.

Yeah, and those strategies you mention would require knowledge about how the mission will play out in advance. Hard to do when the game doesn't even let you take a look at the map beforehand, aside from the tiny section you see where you deploy your squad. I already found it annoying enough having to restart a mission to equip the grenadiers with anti tank weapons because: Hey, it's that tank guy again. Great.

I did deal the final blow to him on one mission with the tank, and was surprised that it actually worked on level ground. But otherwise that thing is clearly designed to be taken out by grenadiers. I can only imagine what a pain in the ass it would be to try to take it out with lancers who I'd have to position somewhere above it. While the tank is moving around and lancers can only run a few meters until they run out of gas. But I'm sure it would be pretty easy once you already know how a mission will play out and can plan ahead accordingly.

User Info: Ren2

Ren2
9 months ago#14
Atzenkiller posted...
Yeah, and those strategies you mention would require knowledge about how the mission will play out in advance.

No, it does not. There is nothing preventing you from changing or modifying your strategy as the battle goes on, and by surveying the terrain.

Atzenkiller posted...
I can only imagine what a pain in the ass it would be to try to take it out with lancers who I'd have to position somewhere above it.

You don't have to position them above it. They can damage it with body hits. Four lancers/tank firing at it will inflict significant damage.

Atzenkiller posted...
While the tank is moving around and lancers can only run a few meters until they run out of gas.

APC and direct command are good to get low ap units around. Also, lancers have pretty long effective firing range and the tank is not a small target.

User Info: SolidHaseo

SolidHaseo
8 months ago#15
Funny, I'm preferring the story in VC4 compared to VC1 so far (or maybe I just like the characters more plus I did watch VC1 anime so maybe that's why). I'm at chapter 11 right now and doing only 1 or 2 fights per day since some are annoying like Chapter 9 or that Train one (and precisely so I don't get burned out/bored of story). Yes Walz is a PoS cause I can't even hit his radiator with Riley (which I did easily in first Chapter against him lol) then again, I didn't have the Anti Tank mortar I used in said first Chapter xD.

Only annoying s*** are the two Crossbow chicks cause they have super high evasion and the one time I could kill them, they were never together (yes I know they revive)....

PS. This should tell you guys a lot but........I prefer playing VC4 than DQ11 (I'm a story guy and DQ11 is doing nothing for me at 10+ hours compared to same time frame of VC4)
https://twitter.com/Sovereign_Sky/
https://www.deviantart.com/sovereign899

User Info: Hentaicheg

Hentaicheg
8 months ago#16
Surprised people complained about the bosses and not annoying stages like loong chapter 4 and pretty 'must be optimal' chapter 10.

All bosses are pretty much done in 1 turn with enough strategy...

Vulcan - early on it's easy enough with grenadier and engineer... should be doable in 1 turn... as for later on, when vulcan gets stronger, that's approx the time you get penetration order, as long as you were doing your squad stories/skirmishes diligently which solves all your boss problems
Direct command leading any shocktrooper of your choice with 35 ammo gun up to vulcan... said shocktrooper should have defence+anti tank damage+penetration orders on him... vulcan dies in 2 hits this way... might even be 1 hit with shocktroopers who can double attack. You might want to kill turret beforehand tho.. so that's 1 extra hit - pro tip: target vulcan's 'tower' from either side, it seems to be a slightly weaker spot than it's body/front.

Also the vulcan chapter 15-1 seems like best way to farm gold/exp with this strategy... takes under 2 minutes for a hefty amount of exp/cash.

Valkyria - like vulcan, but easier.. slightly hard to do in 1 turn due to distance you need to cover.. but with +30 AP on trooper you should be able to do it. Strategy is same as with vulkan - you have to bring trooper with direct command as far as possible then let him do the running. As for taking out staff of valkyria - doable in 1 turn with the sniper rifle you get right before this mission which makes 3 shots instead of 1.

Crossbow chicks - honestly, they were so unimportant that I forgot about them.. in all scenarios where I fought against them - I had hafen up their noses... they took 60% or so of his HP and then I won the next turn... the only exclusion seems to be chapter 10... but the idea is same - get hafen to tank the first part of their assault... then there are 2 options to take them down easily - both require 3 CP total, 1 requires special preparation but is safer.
First option is to ride past them/push through them on the 2nd turn and make them face hafen by launching mortar at them... this will make them turn their backs to everyone else... means just get a shocktrooper and approach to around 100 range, so they don't start to turn around and headshot them... they can't evade this way.
Another way is something VC 1 players would probably come up with... same idea with hafen tanking 1st turn.. then just launch smoke grenade into twins...and you are now safe to approach into melee range with troopers and just headshot them for a guaranteed kill..(well, as long as you are using at least remotely useful machine gun)

Honestly - the biggest problem was early missions - your troops can't do much before becoming elite... and brutal chapters like 4 and 10 are just too much to A rank without retrying and figuring optimal route.

User Info: Shik_stick

Shik_stick
7 months ago#17
Im replaying VC 1 right now and honestly, VC4 is better in every way. Story, pacing, characters, missions. Everything.

I was thinking something similar to you all when i first played VC4 but ended up loving it. Then i went back to VC1 and my mind has completely changed.
A Cute Asian chick who likes to game? Check out Eveinodds on twitch!!
Eve@Eveinodds on twitter and Eveinodds on facebook and youtube!

User Info: cyan1001

cyan1001
5 months ago#18
yes
PSN ID: Domine1001
  1. Boards
  2. Valkyria Chronicles 4
  3. Does it get better?
  • Post New Message