The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Valkyria Chronicles 4
  3. Does it get better?

User Info: NeatNate

NeatNate
10 months ago#1
Hey all. Loved VC1 but I just cannot get into this one at all. Battles are okay, but not as original or exciting as 10 years ago. The story and characters are doing nothing for me. I’m on Chapter 7 or 8 and just struggling to feel motivated to continue. Is it going to pick up more or should I just rack this one up as not for me? Thanks!
Nate.
Pax Utopia

User Info: Ren2

Ren2
10 months ago#2
It gets better once you upgrade classes to Elite. Opens up more combat options and makes it more interesting.

User Info: AyumiSqueezetoy

AyumiSqueezetoy
10 months ago#3
The characters are not going to get much better (except Minerva and Vancey, the cast is entirely forgettable), but I think the gameplay is lots of fun. The story does improve (it gets a little dark), but it does not mimic the first one, so YMMV. I personally appreciated that they did something different, even if it wasn't as good. (and it's light years beyond 2's story)

but you should really be playing the game for the battles, and I think that it mostly gets better. I agree there aren't as many truly memorable battles, but I think all the battles are solid.
You should also look into the squad stories, which typically aren't difficult, but usually have a little bit of a trick to them that's fun to figure out.
Is Squid not entitled to the ink of his brow?
Team Futaba!!

User Info: Atzenkiller

Atzenkiller
10 months ago#4
I felt similar early on, although I was still enjoying it until halfway through or so. But at some point it really started dragging on for me and while I was looking to finish the game it just kept on going and going and going. So if you're already not enjoying it then it probably won't get any better. I guess too much content is not really something you'd usually complain about, but the game just doesn't have enough depth to last you for 40+ hours, which was my count when I finally finished it. And there's still 10 hard skirmishes and more left to do after that, not to mention all the grinding required if you wanna buy all the upgrades and level all classes to 30. The first game was already a bit too long for me, but after playing through that a few times years ago and looking at how similar this game is, they really overdid it with the length.

And still after spending so many hours just completing every mission available only once, I've only unlocked a few squat stories due to how many leader units you have. And that's actually some of the more interesting content.

Ren2
10 months ago#5
Atzenkiller posted...
doesn't have enough depth

In what way?

Atzenkiller
10 months ago#6
Ren2 posted...
Atzenkiller posted...
doesn't have enough depth

In what way?

Because halfway through the game you've unlocked or seen pretty much all the new mechanics and then it starts getting stale. I was enjoying the game up to that point but at some point it's time to finish it. But that's a general disease of videogames today. All devs try to cram as much content as possible into a game, instead of focussing on creating a great game that provides you with a memorable experience. Too much of anything is never a good thing.

Ren2
10 months ago#7
Atzenkiller posted...
Because halfway through the game you've unlocked or seen pretty much all the new mechanics and then it starts getting stale.

Are you suggesting that new mechanics should be introduced until the end of the game? Or that the amount of mechanics is representative of the games' depth?

User Info: renegadedriver

renegadedriver
10 months ago#8
the game does keep introducing new elements in combat maps. such as the last Vulcan fight with another way to stop it dead in its tracks, the next to last boss as well.
currently in ky. enroute to wi
games im waiting on: tales of vespiria, kh3, re2remake, trails of cold steel 3

User Info: gogues

gogues
10 months ago#9
I think the game is pretty good at throwing different circumstances and environmental elements at you throughout the game.

Atzenkiller
10 months ago#10
Ren2 posted...
Atzenkiller posted...
Because halfway through the game you've unlocked or seen pretty much all the new mechanics and then it starts getting stale.

Are you suggesting that new mechanics should be introduced until the end of the game? Or that the amount of mechanics is representative of the games' depth?

I'm suggesting that a game that is designed to last for 20 hours maxed shouldn't forcefully be prolonged to last for 40+ hours. The story is definitely not why you'd play these games, which is why I couldn't force myself to play through VC3 either. At some point the game gets stale and repetitive.

renegadedriver posted...
the game does keep introducing new elements in combat maps. such as the last Vulcan fight with another way to stop it dead in its tracks, the next to last boss as well.

Oh god, please no more fights against that f***ing tank. The game is so f***ing big yet the only 2 bosses in it are basically Walz and the twins, who reappear over and over and over again. Everything else dies, but not Walz. He just magically disappears to reappear a few missions later, and again it's the same f***ing strategy to take him out: bombard him with anti tank grenades from the grenadier. So much fun.
  1. Boards
  2. Valkyria Chronicles 4
  3. Does it get better?
  • Topic Archived