You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Valkyria Chronicles 4
  3. why didn't this game sell well?

User Info: evilashxero

evilashxero
2 months ago#51
Ahogen posted...
Regent192 posted...
you also have to take into account that games with the anime artstyle don't typically sell well outside of Japan other than pokemon and DBZ

This. Let's just be perfectly honest here. Gamers unironically HATE anime and Japan by extension. Just look at the rest of the forums outside the "weeb games" here.

I think that's taking it a bit far. Japanese games are doing a lot better this gen. Now, anime style games may not be so much, but JP games are. They had a hell of a time last gen. Hell, even Platinum finally had a hit.
I don't think gamers "hate Japan".
NO REFUGE
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: SonicSoup

SonicSoup
1 month ago#52
Zero advertising. I adored the first game ten (?) years ago and I forgot this even came out until a few weeks ago.

User Info: Magnetronous

Magnetronous
1 month ago#53
SonicSoup posted...
Zero advertising. I adored the first game ten (?) years ago and I forgot this even came out until a few weeks ago.

Did you buy it in the end?
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 1134-7978-7897
Sony PlayStation Network (PSN) ID: Magne-TR-onous

User Info: SonicSoup

SonicSoup
1 month ago#54
Magnetronous posted...
SonicSoup posted...

Did you buy it in the end?

Yeah I did and it's great. Who knows it may become a gradual hit like the first one but Sega doesn't know how to market.

User Info: Taiwee

Taiwee
1 month ago#55
It’s really vc2 and revolution who ruin the game. Vc2 was great with the story and design, but then they have project valhalla and armor tech. Valkrur unit render regular unit useless and armor tech made regular enemy stupid. Revolution was just utter garbage. I think with vc4 they regained their respect. And if there is a vc5, the sales would be decent.

User Info: Welkin_Gunther

Welkin_Gunther
1 month ago#56
The visual, artistic, direction has struggled to maintain what made it special.
The marksman from Europa. Take a bite out of trolling.
I just started playing VC1 as a newcomer to the series. As much as I enjoy the game, the gameplay does get stale. Not sure if it's because the SRPG genre just wasn't my cup of tea, but besides the fact, was willing to continue playing the other games in the series so I looked up VC4 on youtube. I was sorely disappointed to see little had changed.

The one thing that bothers me most about VC is how slow the combat is. I wished there was an option speedup the enemy turn, or even the players turn. Everything feels like it's moving at a snail's pace. I'm currently 30 hrs in VC and am burnt out from the game because of the wicked slow combat.

Valkyria Revolution was SEGA's attempt to change the gameplay because they knew after 3 games of basically the same battle system, fans would grow tired of it. They took risks with Revolution and changed the formula that made the game so popular in hopes of reinventing the series but were utterly destroyed by fans because of it. When they made VC4, they decide to play it safe, so safe that not much was changed at all in core gameplay.

The series is dead, in the west at least. The series failed not once (VC2), not twice (Revolution), but three times (VC4). It's still a little too early to say since sales might gradually rise in time, but considering the number of times the series has failed to sell, I don't think SEGA is willing to take the risk in making another game, and if they do, I doubt it'll be translated and released in the West.
(edited 6 days ago)
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. Valkyria Chronicles 4
  3. why didn't this game sell well?