• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. Just caught Mortal Kombat 2021. 7.5/10 from me.

User Info: force_edge

force_edge
1 month ago#1
If you go into it expecting an intensely deep and thought-provoking show you're going to be disappointed.

If you watch it after having your expectations set by Tekken, Street Fighter, and MK 95, you're in for a treat.
GameFAQs, where opinions get moderated as "Flaming" just because some moderator felt hurt by it.

User Info: Shadow_Cloud

Shadow_Cloud
4 weeks ago#2
Confirm or deny. A viewer mentioned that many of the fight scenes have too many rapid cuts and close ups?

User Info: KittyBillionair

KittyBillionair
4 weeks ago#3
How would you rate this compared to the 1995 Mortal Kombat movie?

User Info: Redfield5289

Redfield5289
4 weeks ago#4
How badass was Sub-Zero? Did they show all the good parts in the trailer?

No spoilers please.
"I've had enough of your bulls***!"
https://i.imgur.com/r7Lskvo.gifv

User Info: GenerationX-Men

GenerationX-Men
4 weeks ago#5
Is there any reference to Shao Khan?
With great responsibility comes great power.

User Info: Mr_Party_Pants

Mr_Party_Pants
4 weeks ago#6
Sex? Nudity? Blood and gore?

User Info: bulletproofvita

bulletproofvita
4 weeks ago#7
TC has left the building lol
I don't do signatures.

force_edge
4 weeks ago#8
Shadow_Cloud posted...
Confirm or deny. A viewer mentioned that many of the fight scenes have too many rapid cuts and close ups?

I wouldn't know how to quantify "too many", but yes, I would say it happened a lot and would've preferred a more zoomed out angle sometimes.

KittyBillionair posted...
How would you rate this compared to the 1995 Mortal Kombat movie?

It takes itself a little more seriously and there is a tad bit more character development (although it is a fighting game movie, keep your expectations in check lol). I thought the choreography was better. Obviously, the SFX is better (Reptile comes to mind). MK95 is a cheese classic but this one is very thorough fan service, you shouldn't skip it if you're a MK fan and want to see MK things happening in live-action.

I did wish they showed more of Chin Han's Shang Tsung though. A lot of people were comparing him to the Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa, and I think the guy did a really good job with his limited screen time. Here's hoping he shows up more in any potential sequel(s) and gets to fight too.

I should say that I'm not really a MK fan - never actually played a MK game - but I'm mildly familiar with the characters, lore, and stuff. And I enjoyed the fan service plenty.

Redfield5289 posted...
How badass was Sub-Zero? Did they show all the good parts in the trailer?

No spoilers please.

Bi-Han was done very well, Joe Taslim was definitely a good choice. I mean, they didn't explore too much about Sub-Zero's history or the Lin Kuei so he didn't have much to do besides kicking butt and giving intense stares, but he did what he needed to do and it was good. I hope this doesn't spoil anything for you, no actual plot details mentioned, but I thought it was needed to answer your question. Marked as spoilers still though just in case.

To answer your question about the trailer, I actually went back and rewatched it and I think they showed quite a lot of good stuff in it but there's definitely one hugely popular fatality that wasn't shown in any way (but is gratuitously shown in the full film so that's a big treat for fans). Plus you don't get to see a lot of the fighting choreography in the trailer so that is worth watching too.

GenerationX-Men posted...
Is there any reference to Shao Khan?

Besides the Shao Khan statue already shown in the trailer (which was an equally brief moment in the film as well), no, I don't recall any mention of him.

Mr_Party_Pants posted...
Sex? Nudity? Blood and gore?

No sex and nudity. Blood and gore aplenty.

bulletproofvita posted...
TC has left the building lol

I'm here, busy day my dude.
GameFAQs, where opinions get moderated as "Flaming" just because some moderator felt hurt by it.

User Info: Redfield5289

Redfield5289
4 weeks ago#9
force_edge posted...
I wouldn't know how to quantify "too many", but yes, I would say it happened a lot and would've preferred a more zoomed out angle sometimes.

It takes itself a little more seriously and there is a tad bit more character development (although it is a fighting game movie, keep your expectations in check lol). I thought the choreography was better. Obviously, the SFX is better (Reptile comes to mind). MK95 is a cheese classic but this one is very thorough fan service, you shouldn't skip it if you're a MK fan and want to see MK things happening in live-action.

I did wish they showed more of Chin Han's Shang Tsung though. A lot of people were comparing him to the Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa, and I think the guy did a really good job with his limited screen time. Here's hoping he shows up more in any potential sequel(s) and gets to fight too.

I should say that I'm not really a MK fan - never actually played a MK game - but I'm mildly familiar with the characters, lore, and stuff. And I enjoyed the fan service plenty.

Bi-Han was done very well, Joe Taslim was definitely a good choice. I mean, they didn't explore too much about Sub-Zero's history or the Lin Kuei so he didn't have much to do besides kicking butt and giving intense stares, but he did what he needed to do and it was good. I hope this doesn't spoil anything for you, no actual plot details mentioned, but I thought it was needed to answer your question. Marked as spoilers still though just in case.

To answer your question about the trailer, I actually went back and rewatched it and I think they showed quite a lot of good stuff in it but there's definitely one hugely popular fatality that wasn't shown in any way (but is gratuitously shown in the full film so that's a big treat for fans). Plus you don't get to see a lot of the fighting choreography in the trailer so that is worth watching too.

Besides the Shao Khan statue already shown in the trailer (which was an equally brief moment in the film as well), no, I don't recall any mention of him.

No sex and nudity. Blood and gore aplenty.

I'm here, busy day my dude.
Thank you.
"I've had enough of your bulls***!"
https://i.imgur.com/r7Lskvo.gifv

force_edge
4 weeks ago#10
I do want to say that parts of the plot are silly. The entire character of Cole Young is still silly (the film does explain what he has to do with MK, but it's still silly). The explanation behind the MK symbol on his chest (as revealed in the trailer) is silly.

Still, like I said the film does try to take itself a bit more seriously though so... It does what it did I guess.

If anyone is too lazy to watch the film, then [major spoilers] Cole is the descendant of Scorpion, and the MK symbol is just this random marking thing that some people got to signify they were chosen to fight in MK, and you can get it from a marked person by killing them. The ending seems to hint that Raiden is the one who puts it on people and can put more of it as he wishes. Like I said, dumb plot things, ignore it and enjoy the fighting and fan service.
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. Just caught Mortal Kombat 2021. 7.5/10 from me.
  • Topic Archived