• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. GvK > Godzilla 2014 = Skull Island > KOTM (spoilers)

User Info: CommonJoe

CommonJoe
1 month ago#1
Figured Id add my two cents. GvK amps up the fun, well done action of Skull Island but doesnt screw up the scale of these monsters like KOTM did every other scene.

While Ive always been a fan of the understated, art-house style of 2014, GvK gives me the same rush Pacific Rim did, and thats just as awesome but even more so given how much bigger the Monsterverse kaiju are.

As for GvK itself, i loved every second though I wish they did more for the human villains. While by no means was any character in the movie really well done, the villains are basically just there.

Other than that, I was hooked all the way through. Not a dull moment at all.

I will say though it was startling to see how fast they all moved. It definitely felt like humans in suits and Im positive that was deliberate. And yet!!!!! They still maintained the scale. It never really felt like they were shrinking like it did in KOTM. Super awesome.
I shouldnt be approaching 30 and preparing for life as a climate refugee.

User Info: Romaji

Romaji
1 month ago#2
Not enough Godzilla.
Generic Signature

User Info: Hornswoggled

Hornswoggled
1 month ago#3
Skull Island is my favorite.

I like how simple the plot is. It's kind of a laid back movie for a big budget Kaiju flick.

John C. Reilly and Sam Jackson are the best human characters in this whole series, IMO.

Kinda weird that I'm a huge Godzilla fan, and the Monsterverse movie I like best is the one he's not even in.
This is the last hoorah. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33sI-ltcm6M

User Info: A_Nonny_Moose

A_Nonny_Moose
1 month ago#4
This is the first time I've ever seen that complaint about King of the Monsters. I don't understand where you're coming from at all on that one.
http://i.imgur.com/QB2km.png

CommonJoe
1 month ago#5
A_Nonny_Moose posted...
This is the first time I've ever seen that complaint about King of the Monsters. I don't understand where you're coming from at all on that one.

Consider that when Ghidorah first crawls out if the ground, his heads dont look that much larger than the humans standing there.

But then a few minutes later they zoom out and Ghidorah towers over Godzilla and its heads look way bigger.

Then we cut to humans running away as Godzilla topples into a crevice and he looks tiny as hell.

The whole movie is like that. Single shots (like Ghidorah calling the other titans) look great but from scene to scene the framing and perspectives are super inconsistent.

User Info: A_Nonny_Moose

A_Nonny_Moose
1 month ago#6
Well, I disagree.
http://i.imgur.com/QB2km.png

User Info: Vyyk

Vyyk
1 month ago#7
GvK had good fight choreography. The other movies did not
GSV Rest in Peace, Good Man

User Info: Romaji

Romaji
1 month ago#8
Vyyk posted...
And there was some light, so you could see what was happening!
Generic Signature

CommonJoe
1 month ago#9
Vyyk posted...

2014 and Skull Island had excellent fights.

User Info: Vyyk

Vyyk
1 month ago#10
CommonJoe posted...
2014 and Skull Island had excellent fights.

I wasn't really thinking about Skull Island, so I'll agree with you there (though GvK was still far better in that department). I honestly don't see how you could say the same about Godzilla 2014. The fights were just super simple brawls. There was no choreography. That isn't even a value judgement, it suited the style of the movie I think, but no, it wasn't exactly impressive or creative choreography.
GSV Rest in Peace, Good Man
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. GvK > Godzilla 2014 = Skull Island > KOTM (spoilers)
  • Topic Archived