• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. I Care A Lot was loved by critics & hated by the people...

User Info: EllieWilliams95

EllieWilliams95
2 months ago#51
34_ShaqRule_34 posted...
Lmao wtf

First off, I'm jewish.
Secondly, I'm left leaning.

I was pointing out audiences loved the male version of this movie but not when it's a woman.
I would say Nightcrawler is a male version of this movie. The difference is that he actually gets away with being a sociopathic scumbag unlike Marla and yet that movie has an 85% user rating compared to the 36% user rating for this movie.

User Info: sull56ivan2010

sull56ivan2010
2 months ago#52
EllieWilliams95 posted...
I would say Nightcrawler is a male version of this movie. The difference is that he actually gets away with being a sociopathic scumbag unlike Marla and yet that movie has an 85% user rating compared to the 36% user rating for this movie.
Proof in difference? Or are you upset your precious movie isn't getting love from viewers?
Professional athletes lack intelligence to understand real world issues.

User Info: Great_Khan

Great_Khan
2 months ago#53
I liked the movie specifically because I hated her so, so f***ing much. She's one of those really irreddeemably vile piece of s*** characters you'd happily watch getting tortured for 45 minutes, like a Joffrey or Ralph Fiennes in Schindler's list, so the concept of sticking her in as the protagonist of a standard caught-up-with-the-mob-plot was really unique and fun. Like, what other movie has you looking at the protag struggling to be breathe through a bag and you're f***in' cheering and hoping it goes on forever? Or feeling disgusted as the tables turn in their favour? It's a really interesting experience.

As for why people would like Nightcrawler and not this while both characters are purely reprehensible is pretty simple. Nightcrawler is:

A) completely about the vile subject matter, whereas ICAL more or less just uses it as a set up for a traditional genre film. So the interesting/vile aspect of their character is focused on and used an explored seriously. Marla's particular brand of incorrigible evil is never really explored beyond being the instigating element of the story.

B) Slower building with his psychopathy. Early on it's somewhat easy to be caught up with the intrigue of his ambulance chasing and it grows into the absolutely abhorrent s*** he's doing by the end. Marla is the most horrific bastard I've seen in a movie in years within the first 90 seconds, there's no growth or examination of her cruelty, it's just a thing she and her a****** cronies do.

C) He doesn't kidnap elderly people and rob them while they slowly die alone. Come on, that s*** is just about the worst thing possible. Nightcrawler is a gross and horrible dude, but he ain't that. His form of psycopathy is a lot more... watchable for some of us I guess.

Now I like both pretty well myself, but it's easy to see how one is a bit of a deeper examination of a monster and one which is more or less a bit of fun with a malicious set up.
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. I Care A Lot was loved by critics & hated by the people...
  • Topic Archived