• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. I Care A Lot was loved by critics & hated by the people...

User Info: CaptainKO

CaptainKO
1 month ago#31
Ellie95 posted...
Lol TC doesn't know what an anti hero is.

Wow something we can agree on.

ClayGuida posted...
I didn't root for or against anyone. I just enjoyed the story the film was telling.

@ClayGuida
It is literally a rip off of Layer Cake.

STEROLIZER posted...

A villain w/ nuanced motivations that ultimately does some good, even if the methods or reasoning behind their actions aren't traditionally associated with hero-like behavior?

@STEROLIZER
No, just no.
Issue #1 UPDATE!!! http://arhicks00.wix.com/home

User Info: ClayGuida

ClayGuida
1 month ago#32
CaptainKO posted...
It is literally a rip off of Layer Cake.
I legit don't recall that movie outside of it being the first time I remember seeing Craig in a film.
lolAmerica

CaptainKO
1 month ago#33
STEROLIZER posted...
I literally linked to a CNN article in the OP in which they attempted to do so. Still I agree with you, even though some media outlets are attempting to take this route the overwhelming amount of normal functioning adults (men & female) are appalled by this "protagonist" - despite being a well acted, and in my opinion, ultimately enjoyable film...since Rosamund Pike's character doesn't suffer enough the audience was left dissatisfied.

Hence, this is where we see the disconnect between critic and filmgoer. A critic can analyze the film and report that it was well acted, well written, and ultimately enjoyable. Whereas your average joe just can't get the stench out of their mouths. They really hated the character, and did not enjoy seeing her win. I suspect if she had actually lived through the ending that we'd be looking at a single digit scores. At the same time, had she and her girlfriend had been brutally tortured, and killed then the score would be much higher. In my mind that indicates good storytelling - as the filmmakers & actors really made us hate this character.

However, I guess whether or not this is good storytelling depends on whether or not this was their intention. Many of the media members are taking a "yass queen" approach...which if true, would indicate quite the opposite. If the filmmakers goals were to create a character that the audience would idolize, then this is s*** poor storytelling at its finest.

Regardless, Joker isn't even an apt comparison. He was a victim of bullying and abuse, and killed his abusers who for the most part were absolute terrible people. In this movie Rosamund Pike murders a legion of innocent elderly people.

1. The whole move is a rip off of layer cake. You couldn't act any different from the source material. LOL
  2. Most people hate her because of the business of HUMAN TRAFFICKING. THAT'S LIKE TRYING TO HUMANIZE A RAPIST. Both the protagnist and the villain were human traffickers. I didn't like Peter Dinklege character no more than I liked her character. They were two sides of the same coin. The difference is, he did young women and she did old people. She was not only evil for kidnapping said old people and draining them dry, but also for separating them from their children. The only redeeming quality for Peter's character is the fact, he was a concern son. If the two switched roles, I would have liked Rosamund's character more.

Fenrir-Juubi posted...
The problem is that we thought feminists were going to get it after Gone Girl, but we're seven years past that movie and people keep worshiping female bastards, played or not played by Rosamund Pike. It's the cult towards evil women that truly unnerves people even before we are 10 minutes in, because all we're gonna hear for years it's about how much she is a "badass" for doing the things she does. Men aren't around telling everybody about how they love Hannibal Lecter in an overwhelming, annoying manner.

The only other quality I didn't like about the character, is her need to be sarcastic when faced with the mob. The mob boss is in your fact and you are trying to be funny. That seemed out of place. I know what they were trying to go for, but it sit well for me.

CaptainKO
1 month ago#34
ReignFury posted...
There was no protagonist and the plot was bad, but her performance was really good.

It was literally copied from the movie Layer Cake.

User Info: ReignFury

ReignFury
1 month ago#35
CaptainKO posted...
It was literally copied from the movie Layer Cake.

I said that in post #26
This is my main

User Info: STEROLIZER

STEROLIZER
1 month ago#36
ReignFury posted...
I said that in post #26

No you didn't.
---./|,-``\(o)_\,----,,,_........................Love is like a bottle of gin
---( `\(o),,_/` : o : : :o `-,..............But a bottle of gin is not like love.

User Info: ReignFury

ReignFury
1 month ago#37
STEROLIZER posted...
No you didn't.

Yeah i did

This is my main

STEROLIZER
1 month ago#38
ReignFury posted...
Yeah i did

Says who?
---( `\(o),,_/` : o : : :o `-,..............But a bottle of gin is not like love.

User Info: Monopoman

Monopoman
1 month ago#39
EllieWilliams95 posted...
^Remember guys, the hatred with this movie has nothing to do with misogyny. Women have not gone around telling anyone in an overwhelming annoying manner about how much they love a scumbag female character, but men are sure as hell doing that with Joker.

I mean Joker isn't just a scumbag, the dude is psychotic he is the type of guy that would kill you for a joke or just because he felt like it. He would blow up a building for a joke or just because, I mean if he existed in real life he would probably be the most wanted man on earth.

STEROLIZER
1 month ago#40
Monopoman posted...
I mean Joker isn't just a scumbag, the dude is psychotic he is the type of guy that would kill you for a joke or just because he felt like it. He would blow up a building for a joke or just because, I mean if he existed in real life he would probably be the most wanted man on earth.

Yea, but we are talking just about the Joker depicted in the film. The Arthur Fleck version...not The Joker in general.
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. I Care A Lot was loved by critics & hated by the people...
  • Topic Archived