• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. I Care A Lot was loved by critics & hated by the people...

User Info: EllieWilliams95

EllieWilliams95
2 months ago#11
STEROLIZER posted...
A villain w/ nuanced motivations that ultimately does some good, even if the methods or reasoning behind their actions aren't traditionally associated with hero-like behavior?
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/antihero

Antihero: A protagonist or notable figure who is conspicuously lacking in heroic qualities.

User Info: STEROLIZER

STEROLIZER
2 months ago#12
EllieWilliams95 posted...
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/antihero

Antihero: A protagonist or notable figure who is conspicuously lacking in heroic qualities.

Soo, like exactly what I just said?
---./|,-``\(o)_\,----,,,_........................Love is like a bottle of gin
---( `\(o),,_/` : o : : :o `-,..............But a bottle of gin is not like love.

EllieWilliams95
2 months ago#13
STEROLIZER posted...
Soo, like exactly what I just said?
Nope

User Info: dancing_cactuar

dancing_cactuar
2 months ago#14
A_Nonny_Moose posted...
Uh, you're not supposed to root for Lou Bloom in Nightcrawler.
You're not supposed to root for Jordan or any of the people at Stratton in Wolf of Wall Street either.
According to someone on this website: $60 + $60 - $60 = $120
The PS5 has liquid metal tech like the T-1000 Terminator- AceCombatX

EllieWilliams95
2 months ago#15
A_Nonny_Moose posted...
Uh, you're not supposed to root for Lou Bloom in Nightcrawler.
And yet people are completely fine with him getting away with what he wants. But god this movie is so freaking terrible for having a FEMALE (gasp) protagonist who's a scumbag who gets murdered in the end

User Info: Fenrir-Juubi

Fenrir-Juubi
2 months ago#16
The problem is that we thought feminists were going to get it after Gone Girl, but we're seven years past that movie and people keep worshiping female bastards, played or not played by Rosamund Pike. It's the cult towards evil women that truly unnerves people even before we are 10 minutes in, because all we're gonna hear for years it's about how much she is a "badass" for doing the things she does. Men aren't around telling everybody about how they love Hannibal Lecter in an overwhelming, annoying manner.
This signature breaks the terms of service.

EllieWilliams95
2 months ago#17
^Remember guys, the hatred with this movie has nothing to do with misogyny. Women have not gone around telling anyone in an overwhelming annoying manner about how much they love a scumbag female character, but men are sure as hell doing that with Joker.

User Info: STEROLIZER

STEROLIZER
2 months ago#18
^Remember guys, the hatred with this movie has nothing to do with misogyny. Women have not gone around telling anyone in an overwhelming annoying manner about how much they love a scumbag female character, but men are sure as hell doing that with Joker.

I literally linked to a CNN article in the OP in which they attempted to do so. Still I agree with you, even though some media outlets are attempting to take this route the overwhelming amount of normal functioning adults (men & female) are appalled by this "protagonist" - despite being a well acted, and in my opinion, ultimately enjoyable film...since Rosamund Pike's character doesn't suffer enough the audience was left dissatisfied.

Hence, this is where we see the disconnect between critic and filmgoer. A critic can analyze the film and report that it was well acted, well written, and ultimately enjoyable. Whereas your average joe just can't get the stench out of their mouths. They really hated the character, and did not enjoy seeing her win. I suspect if she had actually lived through the ending that we'd be looking at a single digit scores. At the same time, had she and her girlfriend had been brutally tortured, and killed then the score would be much higher. In my mind that indicates good storytelling - as the filmmakers & actors really made us hate this character.

However, I guess whether or not this is good storytelling depends on whether or not this was their intention. Many of the media members are taking a "yass queen" approach...which if true, would indicate quite the opposite. If the filmmakers goals were to create a character that the audience would idolize, then this is s*** poor storytelling at its finest.

Regardless, Joker isn't even an apt comparison. He was a victim of bullying and abuse, and killed his abusers who for the most part were absolute terrible people. In this movie Rosamund Pike murders a legion of innocent elderly people.
---./|,-``\(o)_\,----,,,_........................Love is like a bottle of gin
---( `\(o),,_/` : o : : :o `-,..............But a bottle of gin is not like love.

User Info: JuanCarlos1

JuanCarlos1
2 months ago#19
I liked it, but I understand where it's coming from. She's really evil and while the movie lets you know, for a moment it kinda wants you to root for her? There's no good side here. Its evil vs evil, but she is the protagonist and antagonist at the same time...so it feels weird. But like TC said, if the ending hadnt happened like it did I wouldve been pissed as well.
Mas dicen, que en las dimensiones de nuestro ser... hay muchos detalles por conocer...

User Info: A_Nonny_Moose

A_Nonny_Moose
2 months ago#20
And yet people are completely fine with him getting away with what he wants. But god this movie is so freaking terrible for having a FEMALE (gasp) protagonist who's a scumbag who gets murdered in the end
I'm not sure what you're getting at. Nightcrawler is about a psycho who succeeds in a scummy line of work. Liking the film doesn't mean anyone approves of what he did, it just means it was a good film. It can be compelling to watch a bad person do bad things.
http://i.imgur.com/QB2km.png
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. I Care A Lot was loved by critics & hated by the people...
  • Topic Archived