• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. I Care A Lot was loved by critics & hated by the people...

User Info: STEROLIZER

STEROLIZER
1 month ago#1
Did you root for or against the main character? - Results (35 votes)
For, she was an "anti-hero"
5.71% (2 votes)
Against, she was a terrifying villain
71.43% (25 votes)
Homeless John Tobias
22.86% (8 votes)
This poll is now closed.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/a/user_image/2/1/6/AABajLAABi7g.jpg

I personally loved the film. It was the ending of Pyke getting shot and killed that left me feeling satisfied. Had that ending not have happened, then I too would have probably would not have enjoyed the film, and I was glad to see Rosamund Pike win a Golden Globe!

The concept is intriguing, and the film is well acted. However, this is one of those films where all the characters are unlikeable. Whats even more, is that they are purposely unlikable. There is nobody to root for...so I can see how the audience would leave the film feeling unsatisfied.

The real issue behind this film is I believe that it tries to paint Pike's character as an Anti-Hero, especially in regards to her upending the patriarchy. There were several points in the film, where this theme seemed "forced" in. Like it only served to try and get people to root for Pyke's character, it didn't actually contribute to the film any. The Lawyer-Scene was the most cringey. The problem is that there is nothing "hero" about Rosamund Pike's character. "Anti" or otherwise...she is just a straight up villain.

How did you view the character? Did you root for her, or against her?

CNN Article praising Pike's character as an "Anti-Heroine" - https://www.cnn.com/style/article/i-care-a-lot-antiheroines-culture-queue/index.html
---./|,-``\(o)_\,----,,,_........................Love is like a bottle of gin
---( `\(o),,_/` : o : : :o `-,..............But a bottle of gin is not like love.

User Info: BilalPowell

BilalPowell
1 month ago#2
It was an alright movie, but she's a terrible person who should not be rooted for.
Former #1 Birmingham Iron Fan. RIP AAF

User Info: Slider

Slider
1 month ago#3
BilalPowell posted...
It was an alright movie, but she's a terrible person who should not be rooted for.
Who's rooting for her though? and people have rooted for worse. People root for Joker.

User Info: Ellie95

Ellie95
1 month ago#4
Lol TC doesn't know what an anti hero is.

User Info: dancing_cactuar

dancing_cactuar
1 month ago#5
Slider posted...
Who's rooting for her though?
The average letterboxd user.

According to someone on this website: $60 + $60 - $60 = $120
The PS5 has liquid metal tech like the T-1000 Terminator- AceCombatX

User Info: Ellie95

Ellie95
1 month ago#6
And yes her character can be rooted for because she's ambitious and ruthless. Which is not something you often see with women on screen and is considered masculine qualities. Her character is very similar to Lou Bloom from Nightcrawler (who btw gets away with being a sociopathic scumbag in the end unlike Marla)or Jordan Belfort from Wolf of Wall Street (who btw was a real life person) and yet I barely see anyone complaining about how those movies wants you to root for them.

User Info: sull56ivan2010

sull56ivan2010
1 month ago#7
Ellie95 posted...
And yes her character can be rooted for because she's ambitious and ruthless. Which is not something you often see with women on screen and is considered masculine qualities. Her character is very similar to Lou Bloom from Nightcrawler (who btw gets away with being a sociopathic scumbag in the end unlike Marla)or Jordan Belfort from Wolf of Wall Street (who btw was a real life person) and yet I barely see anyone complaining about how those movies wants you to root for them.
Are you looking to get banned quickly, kid?
Professional athletes lack intelligence to understand real world issues.

User Info: ClayGuida

ClayGuida
1 month ago#8
I didn't root for or against anyone. I just enjoyed the story the film was telling.
lolAmerica

User Info: STEROLIZER

STEROLIZER
1 month ago#9
Ellie95 posted...
Lol TC doesn't know what an anti hero is.

A villain w/ nuanced motivations that ultimately does some good, even if the methods or reasoning behind their actions aren't traditionally associated with hero-like behavior?
---./|,-``\(o)_\,----,,,_........................Love is like a bottle of gin
---( `\(o),,_/` : o : : :o `-,..............But a bottle of gin is not like love.

User Info: A_Nonny_Moose

A_Nonny_Moose
1 month ago#10
Ellie95 posted...
Uh, you're not supposed to root for Lou Bloom in Nightcrawler.
http://i.imgur.com/QB2km.png
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. I Care A Lot was loved by critics & hated by the people...
  • Topic Archived