• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. I saw The Empty Man (Probably spoilers)

User Info: PrivateBiscuit1

PrivateBiscuit1
4 weeks ago#1
This isn't a boogeyman movie.

It's either brilliant or such complete bulls***.

I think I liked it though.
I stream sometimes. Check it out!
www.twitch.tv/heroicbiz/

User Info: Kestner

Kestner
4 weeks ago#2
Someone told me the ending has serious Hereditary vibes. is that true?

PrivateBiscuit1
4 weeks ago#3
The ending of this movie is f***ing bats*** bonkers. I don't know if it's masterful or some bulls*** ending. My mind was racing trying to comprehend if this was the case and I kind of lean towards it being brilliant.

I wanted to say "This is pretty good" until the ending. And then the ending happened and I just went wait what the f*** is this actually incredible I don't know slow down.
www.twitch.tv/heroicbiz/

User Info: Kestner

Kestner
4 weeks ago#4
Spoil me, please.

PrivateBiscuit1
4 weeks ago#5
I'll do partial spoilers and then legit spoilers.

This movie is 2h17m. The first maybe 15-20 minutes of this movie is something completely different but absolutely awesome. Spoiling that part here.

The begining has four friends hiking in Tibet. The one friend becomes tranced and falls into a ravine. When they find him, he's starting at the most twisted skeleton ever and he's in a comatose state. They can't get him help so they stay in a little cabin they find. Really good creepy stuff happens but it all culminates to the guy who was comatose sitting in front of a bridge, blowing into something, and then his girlfriend murdering his friends and killing herself.

Okay, so onto the story proper. This begins as a boogeyman film but ends up being a mystery thriller with a lot of strong horror elements. An ex-undercover cop goes to find a missing girl who plays a game to summon The Empty Man with her friends. So I'll post spoilers for the boogeyman part.

A bunch of s*** teenagers summon up The Empty Man and they're nowhere to be found the cop finds all of them except the one he's looking for dangling under a bridge, hung. And then one girl is possessed and stabs herself in the face repeatedly with a pair of scissors.

And while it's a mystery thriller, he explores more cult-like elements.

There is A LOT here, with a lot of talking. Stephen Root is a speaker in a minor role but he does an awesome job.

But for the most important stuff, there's a cult that feels a lot like scientology and it's basically about manifesting something into being by believing it hard enough. They think they will find peace and enlightenment and the only thing that's real is what they believe is real and created is real.

There are some really strong horror elements throughout this. Anything that's scary is done extremely well. I'm skipping A LOT because explaining everything is too much, but here's where s*** goes absolutely f***ing nuts.

At the end of the movie, the cop finds they have an entire file on him with a bunch of really obscure bits about him including family photos, a free meal coupon for his birthday at a restaurant, and other stuff. He goes to the hospital to see an old man people worship there who is in a coma. The girl he was looking for this whole time is there. She explains that he was the conduit for most of The Empty Man's reach and people could absorb his feelings and thoughts stronger. Bigger twist is that he's the guy in Tibet from the opening. EVEN BIGGER TWIST is that the thing they were all manifesting by belief was really the cop, not The Empty Man. They didn't want to wait for someone else to stumble upon the creepy skeleton again, so they decided to manifest someone into existence instead to be the conduit. He tries to deny it but it kind of seems like this is the case since things about his past are nebulous. He says "I lived in San Francisco" multiple times. Nothing specific is said about his past as a cop. But they gave him enough trauma to make up his wife and child dying and his guilt for them dying while he cheated on them to make him want to give it all up and become a vessel for them. He resists, but the Empty Man enters him and he shoots the old conduit in the head and everyone begins to worship him now.

And that's it. It's crazy, comes out of nowhere, but it oddly feels satisfying because of how much they kind of build it up without you even knowing.

www.twitch.tv/heroicbiz/

User Info: discovery

discovery
4 weeks ago#6
I am really happy you enjoyed this, OP! I didn't see the trailer yet, but I did see the official poster, and I thought it looks absolutely incredible.
https://www.ecosia.org/images?q=the+empty+man+poster#id=DB5783824E9245EB258A82B18539B2C9B335B3ED
Have a nice day!

PrivateBiscuit1
4 weeks ago#7
It's a strong poster.

I just wish there was more going on in the middle of the movie. But it has strong scares there when they do happen.

The protagonist played by James Badge Dale is pretty great because he takes absolutely no s***.

It's honestly the ending I think that really makes this movie feel like something special. If the ending wasn't what it was, I would just be like "It's pretty good."
www.twitch.tv/heroicbiz/

User Info: SerenitySays

SerenitySays
4 weeks ago#8
What's the jump scare meter here? Is the movie filled with them? You're making me want to watch this now.

PrivateBiscuit1
4 weeks ago#9
Now that I think about it, I don't think there's a single jumpscare. There may be one or two as I'm trying to think about scenes again, but the scares are all done extremely well and never feel cheap.
www.twitch.tv/heroicbiz/

User Info: Hornswoggled

Hornswoggled
4 weeks ago#10
I thought it was pretty dull.
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. I saw The Empty Man (Probably spoilers)
  • Post New Message