• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. Star Wars has Yet to Turn a Profit for Disney

User Info: colejj

colejj
1 month ago#1
Five films in, and Disney has yet to make their money back from acquiring Star Wars.

If you'll remember, they purchased the property for $4.05B. They then spent a combined $1.2B making the films, with an estimated $1.2B on marketing, for a grand total of $6.45B.

The total box office take for these 5 films is $5.92B (and Disney doesn't even get all of that. Theaters get a decent percentage after opening weekend. ) It's likely that it'll take another two or three films before Disney shareholders actually see a return on their investment.
PSN: mrtwothumbs89

User Info: IShall_Run_Amok

IShall_Run_Amok
1 month ago#2
Congratulations, you know less about this than just about everyone else.
Everyone gangsta until country roads starts playing.

colejj
1 month ago#3
IShall_Run_Amok posted...
Congratulations, you know less about this than just about everyone else.
Oh, then please explain it wise one. It's simple math. If they spent 4B on the property, then another 1.2B making the films, and it's well known that you double the production budget to estimate the marketing budget, you get 6.4. The movies have yet to bring in 6B. So even if every dollar from the movies had gone to Disney, they'd still be in the hole to the tune of a half billion dollars

User Info: thesmark

thesmark
1 month ago#4
In your universe they have made exactly $0 on merchandise sales, theme parks with Star Wars elements added, TV rights, the money that comes into Disney+ from Star Wars related content, etc.
My unending quest to review all 563 Best Picture Nominees: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/227-movies-at-the-theater/78341609
Duke/Stanford/GSW/A's/Raiders

colejj
1 month ago#5
thesmark posted...
In your universe they have made exactly $0 on merchandise sales, theme parks with Star Wars elements added, TV and streaming rights, etc.
Well since we have no way to know many of those other numbers, we have to go by the ones we actually have access to. Which is why I limited it to the movies. If you have the merchandise, theme park, etc numbers feel free to provide them.

Regardless, I think that Disney wasn't expecting to still be in the hole from box office sales by now. They should have been able to cover the purchase in 3 movies alone, considering how much the FA made.

User Info: I_love_men

I_love_men
1 month ago#6
Flop or not, Disney won't be hurting.
Not your typical basic white gurl lol

colejj
1 month ago#7
I_love_men posted...
Flop or not, Disney won't be hurting.
That's kinda beside the point.
Disney bought Star Wars when when their stock was only $55 a share or something like that.

now it’s $138 a share
Tim Tebow is the greatest Filipino NFL player that ever played

User Info: creativerealms

creativerealms
1 month ago#9
Love that goal post shifting.
Occam's razor: The simplest solution (answer) is most likely the right one

colejj
1 month ago#10
creativerealms posted...
Love that goal post shifting.
What posts have I shifted? I'm going by pure box office numbers.
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. Star Wars has Yet to Turn a Profit for Disney
  • Topic Archived