• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. Sonic the Hedgehog, a movie critics are split on but audiences will mostly like

User Info: xOmniCloudx

xOmniCloudx
1 month ago#1
I posted this in another topic but I'll share it here too.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie as did my friend I saw it with. I will say that the movie was obviously made with the mentality 90s kids are commonly parents now and nailed it as a movie they can see with their kids and have stuff for both to enjoy. It has some predictable and unoriginal elements for sure but most movies can say that and it's not a problem if the movie is solid.

I like how it knew what it was and stayed self aware without breaking the 4th wall. Seeing Jim Carey 90s it up and obviously have a blast was a treat though sometimes he fell flat despite it being obvious what they intended for him in scenes. He seemed to be more for the kids than the adults. They definitely let Jim improvise a lot, it's pretty obvious since you can't really write a lot of that stuff yourself lol.

The video game references were well handled and they didn't overdo them. I wish we got more of the classic Sonic tracks though.

Spoiler Below

I do have some questions about Sonic's power. Basically, he can become super sonic without the chaos emeralds or turning yellow, instead glowing blue and he can just sort of kind of do it when he has an extreme emotional outburst. Power stated to be unlimited as well even if it's just a strand of his hair that's not even attached to his body as it has some type of symbiotic relationship or something.

I will call out the part about the US government is insanely incompetent in that film. Obviously it was done for comedic effect and it worked, especially at the end but raises questions as to how Tom's life was fixed when the Robotnik made him a national criminal and the US government did seemingly nothing about it besides just not come after him.

I don't understand his girlfriend's sister being such a hater and sort of a stereotypical Black woman but at least her daughter gave Sonic his iconic sneakers which was a sweet moment even if awfully convenient.

Rings working the way they do is interesting to say the least but I felt they ever really vibed with Sonic outside gameplay mechanics so I don't care that they're just transporter devices. Jim being up for the sequel, him looking more like classic Robotnik (and I like how they tied both the Robotnik and Eggman names in properly) and the arrival of Tails also has me look forward to a sequel so hope this does well to justify it. Hope we get a trilogy since I want to see Knuckles as well.
This is GameFAQs. People here take great pride in ignoring common sense.

User Info: Supremo

Supremo
1 month ago#2
I'm so excited to see this movie.
Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are. - Ryu

xOmniCloudx
1 month ago#3
Supremo posted...
I'm so excited to see this movie.

I should add that the entire cast is very likeable and the chemistry is great. Actually, James Marsden and Jim Carey chemistry is incredible. I wish they had more scenes together since all of them are gold!

User Info: LightHawKnight

LightHawKnight
1 month ago#4
It is a kids movie, not exactly made for critics, so not shocking that they don't love it.
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."

User Info: Shadow_Cloud

Shadow_Cloud
1 month ago#5
What the hell are you guys talking about? The movie is fresh on Rottentomatoes so critics like it. Also there have been kid movies liked by critics too you know.

xOmniCloudx
1 month ago#6
Shadow_Cloud posted...
What the hell are you guys talking about? The movie is fresh on Rottentomatoes so critics like it. Also there have been kid movies liked by critics too you know.

Rotten tomatoes is not the only review website even when it comes to aggregates and there are a lot of pro review sites giving the movie 1 and 2 stars.

User Info: LightHawKnight

LightHawKnight
1 month ago#7
Shadow_Cloud posted...

Fresh just means over 50%. Average score is 5.8, so critics don't really like it much.
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."

User Info: Maverickneo

Maverickneo
1 month ago#8
f*** critics once again. Dont people know this already?

The movie is amazing and arguably one of or the best video game movie ever made.
Free phone game ideology, wall grind, pay to win, loot box system has no place in a paid console game.

User Info: Shadow_Cloud

Shadow_Cloud
1 month ago#9
LightHawKnight posted...
Fresh just means over 50%. Average score is 5.8, so critics don't really like it much.

Wrong. Fresh is over 60% and around a 6 is decent enough considering that's what the rating is for Fast & Furious movies.

User Info: action52

action52
1 month ago#10
Maverickneo posted...
f*** critics once again. Dont people know this already?

The movie is amazing and arguably one of or the best video game movie ever made.
People are always blaming critics because they don't understand how to interpret reviews properly.

You have to remember, critics see every movie. They have to. It's their job. Even if they have zero interest in Sonic and would have no business seeing a Sonic movie under normal circumstances, they may wind up seeing it. So any time you have a genre or niche movie, the critic score is always going to skew lower than it will for people who are in the target audience.

That doesn't make critic reviews useless. You just have to take that into account. So if it's in a niche or genre that you love and it gets a middling or good rating, that means it will probably be good or great for you. And if you don't like the genre but see it's rated high, then there's a good chance that it's really well done or has things that appeal to wider audiences, so maybe you should check it out.

Of course a key ingredient here is that you should also read some of the reviews to get a good idea of why they feel that way.

Too many people think the critic rating is supposed to be an objective measure of how good a movie is, and then they get pissy because the movies they like aren't rated high enough. Or because the critics like some movie they hate, which I think is an even dumber reason to dismiss any and all critic reviews.
When I was a boy and I saw scary things in the news, my mother would say to me:
Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping. -Fred Rogers
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. Sonic the Hedgehog, a movie critics are split on but audiences will mostly like
  • Topic Archived