• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. No, Birds of Prey is NOT a "woke" movie

User Info: KManX89

KManX89
1 month ago#1
I thought I'd go ahead and address the elephant in the room. Ever since this movie came out and underperformed on OW, I've seen a TON of comments and vids on YouTube and other forums as well as on here calling this movie "woke" and "man-hating". All because DC had the gal to make a movie about rogue women beating down gangsters.

Well, yeah, it's a movie about f***ing gangsters (even the female cast, go figure), of course all the men in this movie are gonna be morally bankrupt. This is not a Ghostbusters 2016 or Black Christmas 2019 situation where literally all male characters are artificially made to look like a******s, idiots or both with an "all men are evil" message constantly shoved down your throat.

I gotta say, it's getting old and the people saying this s*** are sounding more and more like those damn SJWs they always moan about. Imagine how Kill Bill would be looked at if that movie came out 5 years ago. After all, that movie had pretty much all the same "woke" elements that people are ripping this (and other) movie(s) for, it just had the benefit of coming out before the current age of the internet and political climate.

There ARE valid criticisms towards this movie, but "woke" is not one of them.

User Info: capri

capri
1 month ago#2
But women are in it! Men have to be mad at it or they aren't really men!

User Info: ClayGuida

ClayGuida
1 month ago#3
Anyone with a brain knows this.
lolAmerica

User Info: ScrappyDingo

ScrappyDingo
1 month ago#4
The main villain, a man, literally says he hates the main heroine (a female) because she has a vagina. And the actor playing said main villain literally said he took the role because it lampooned the white patriarchy.

But yeah, not WOKE at all right?
Cancer free 52 months and counting!
The Seahawks intentionally injured Carson Wentz in the 2019-20 NFC Wild Card game

User Info: jw91

jw91
1 month ago#5
I’m not against the film; I’m just in no hurry to watch it. I didn’t even know Birds of Prey as a group before the movie was announced.

User Info: Sirius

Sirius
1 month ago#6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0O19NoJSx8
You'll laugh, you'll cry and you will never want to go to sleep again. --jollzoffire about Dragon Quest VII

User Info: Akuryu

Akuryu
1 month ago#7
It's only "woke" because it fits their narrative. If it had opened huge this past weekend, nobody would be saying it's woke. I remember a few rumblings from the usual suspects about Little Women and Hustlers, but when those movies did well at the box office they went silent about it.

And yes, Kill Bill would be torn apart in today's climate. So would Aliens, Metroid, etc

User Info: Funkx

Funkx
1 month ago#8
Akuryu posted...
It's only "woke" because it fits their narrative. If it had opened huge this past weekend, nobody would be saying it's woke. I remember a few rumblings from the usual suspects about Little Women and Hustlers, but when those movies did well at the box office they went silent about it.

And yes, Kill Bill would be torn apart in today's climate. So would Aliens, Metroid, etc

That's completely false. Everyone was saying this movie was woke before it came out, including Ewan McGregor stating on cam that it was about "everyday misogyny."
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

User Info: lolife67

lolife67
1 month ago#9
ScrappyDingo posted...
The main villain, a man, literally says he hates the main heroine (a female) because she has a vagina.
No he doesn't. You haven't even seen the film.

User Info: ScrappyDingo

ScrappyDingo
1 month ago#10
lolife67 posted...
No he doesn't. You haven't even seen the film.
Dude hates her because she voted for Bernie, too. Which implies he probably is a Trump supporter.
Cancer free 52 months and counting!
The Seahawks intentionally injured Carson Wentz in the 2019-20 NFC Wild Card game
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. No, Birds of Prey is NOT a "woke" movie
  • Topic Archived