• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. Wow what a dry year (2019) for comedy movies, if it weren't for JoJo Rabbit,.

User Info: bigbadharry

bigbadharry
4 weeks ago#1
We'd have nothing.

I can't remember a year so lacking in comedies. I guess they aren't economically viable anymore?
Arrgh. Is this the end of lovable Igniz? Why!? There was no way I could lose! Why!? Why!?

User Info: lordjers

lordjers
4 weeks ago#2
Parasite sort of tried to be one.
Backlog: Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (PC) (Hard mode), Personal Nightmare (Amiga). Last finished: Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (PC) (Hard mode).

User Info: thesmark

thesmark
4 weeks ago#3
Knives Out and Booksmart are ten times the movie Jojo Rabbit is
My unending quest to review all 554 Best Picture Nominees: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/227-movies-at-the-theater/77413506
Duke/Stanford/GSW/A's/Raiders

User Info: EnterTheTekken

EnterTheTekken
4 weeks ago#4
It really was. The most notable comedic releases this year were Stuber, Lexi, The Hustle, Zombieland 2, Booksmart, & Good Boys. I only saw Good Boys, which was OK, and Stuber, which sucked completely.

Does Dolemite Is My Name count as a comedy? If so, that was probably the best of the year after Jojo Rabbit.
https://imgur.com/Eq8W20T

User Info: Xtacles

Xtacles
4 weeks ago#5
Just off the top of my head I can think of booksmart, good boys, long shot, zombie land double tap, and stuber. I haven’t seen all of those so can’t confirm the quality, and could bring up a good bit more if I added in streaming service releases, but I’d say it’s average for the last several years at least.

User Info: Jack_the_monke7

Jack_the_monke7
4 weeks ago#6
Theatrical comedies have it rough these days. There are so many franchise films and “event” movies that folks just don’t bother going to the theater for a comedy too often, especially not when they have tons of comedies, both new and old, readily available on streaming platforms. Not to mention that many blockbuster and genre films these days offer a sufficient dose of comedy. MCU films arguably just as many laughs packed into them as your average theatrical comedy film, plus the action and continuity to boot. The most successful comedies these days blend their humor into some other genre. The age of the straight up theatrical romantic/buddy comedy has come to, if not an end, at least a major speed bump.
King Boo for Super Smash Bros!
StarD86 is forever my hero

bigbadharry
4 weeks ago#7
Jack_the_monke7 posted...
Theatrical comedies have it rough these days. There are so many franchise films and “event” movies that folks just don’t bother going to the theater for a comedy too often, especially not when they have tons of comedies, both new and old, readily available on streaming platforms. Not to mention that many blockbuster and genre films these days offer a sufficient dose of comedy. MCU films arguably just as many laughs packed into them as your average theatrical comedy film, plus the action and continuity to boot. The most successful comedies these days blend their humor into some other genre. The age of the straight up theatrical romantic/buddy comedy has come to, if not an end, at least a major speed bump.

Too true. Although even the streaming sites seem to have drought on new stuff.
Arrgh. Is this the end of lovable Igniz? Why!? There was no way I could lose! Why!? Why!?

User Info: discovery

discovery
4 weeks ago#8
We had Good Boys. I didn't see it, but it was something released.

Knives Out and Booksmart were comedies as well, as others here mentioned.

Have a nice day!

User Info: Funkx

Funkx
4 weeks ago#9
bigbadharry posted...
We'd have nothing.

I can't remember a year so lacking in comedies. I guess they aren't economically viable anymore?

I guess Todd Phillips was right when he said if you try to be funny these days everybody complains. Maybe that's why Joker has a dozen oscar noms.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." - George Washington

bigbadharry
4 weeks ago#10
Funkx posted...

I guess Todd Phillips was right when he said if you try to be funny these days everybody complains. Maybe that's why Joker has a dozen oscar noms.

Love that Joker!

Can't believe all the dramedy recommendations. Meh.
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. Wow what a dry year (2019) for comedy movies, if it weren't for JoJo Rabbit,.
  • Topic Archived