• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. What did you think of Ricky Gervais lil rant against "woke" Hollywood?
tripledoublehelix 2 months ago#91
Jedibaracuda posted...
Meryl wasn’t going to out Weinstein. Her career benefitted way too much from him. He was pretty much the first person she thanked at all of her acceptance speeches.

this is exactly what Gervais was referring to...the me-first approach to the world. Can't believe so many so-called liberals are mad about the speech. You don't have to be a conservative to see the hypocrisy he described.
The perfect job for your skill set is King of Spain.

User Info: creativerealms

creativerealms
2 months ago#92
tripledoublehelix posted...
this is exactly what Gervais was referring to...the me-first approach to the world. Can't believe so many so-called liberals are mad about the speech. You don't have to be a conservative to see the hypocrisy he described.
I don't think many are. Most probably expected this to happen and reacted the way they were suppose to. I see far more on the right talking about how great his "rant" was and less on the left being triggered.

It was just a comedy roast that's quite common at award shows. Its why people like him are even hired.
Occam's razor: The simplest solution (answer) is most likely the right one

User Info: mad_hax_man

mad_hax_man
2 months ago#93
creativerealms posted...
I don't think many are. Most probably expected this to happen and reacted the way they were suppose to. I see far more on the right talking about how great his "rant" was and less on the left being triggered.

It was just a comedy roast that's quite common at award shows. Its why people like him are even hired.

I think this is why i am a bit more cynical at it. Yeah, a lot of his jabs are valid critiques, and maybe cathartic on one level, but on the other hand, this is wasnt a great drop the mic and expose the establishment moment. It was Gervias being hired by a Hollywood institution to put on this exact kind of show. (It doesn't help that from what i can tell, Gervias is also one of those "kids these days have ruined comedy" kind of comedians)
"Hey bridesmaid, love the beard! Give's me something to hang onto!!"- Lord Flasheart

User Info: ReignFury

ReignFury
2 months ago#94
IShall_Run_Amok posted...
My main movie board has practically 0 conservatives, and the general response to the Ricky Gervais bit was approval. But as it was a thread about the awards season in general, his name got precisely 7 mentions and then everyone went back to talking about awards ceremonies, because he's just saying things that everyone already knows and there's no real meat there.

I dont have an issue with his speech, its just topics like always highlight the ironic presence of conservatives on this board.
Say auf Wiedersehen to your Nazi balls
https://tinyurl.com/y52lxcv2

User Info: Jedibaracuda

Jedibaracuda
2 months ago#95
ReignFury posted...
I dont have an issue with his speech, its just topics like always highlight the ironic presence of conservatives on this board.

Is it that unthinkable to you that conservatives and liberals might actually agree on something?
Talk is cheap...because supply exceeds demand.

User Info: Zithers

Zithers
2 months ago#96
before the show i saw a bingo card about gervais. within thirty seconds you probably could have bingo'd. things i remember specifically:

• he's drinking a beer at the podium
  • he says something akin to "i offend people with my jokes"
  • makes joke about NBC hiring him
  • says something about not caring if he hurts your feelings
you get the idea. his schtick is just played out. fey and poehler are funnier. wish the oscars would bring back hugh jackman though. hands down the greatest hosting gig of any awards show ever.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m02lct2g9l1qdlvg6o1_500.gif
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1283-quality-cinema-club

User Info: ReignFury

ReignFury
2 months ago#97
Jedibaracuda posted...
Is it that unthinkable to you that conservatives and liberals might actually agree on something?

As mentioned in the previous post theres no meat there because everyone knows its very pretentious and hypocritical, its the worst kept secret about Hollywood
Say auf Wiedersehen to your Nazi balls
https://tinyurl.com/y52lxcv2

User Info: IShall_Run_Amok

IShall_Run_Amok
2 months ago#98
ReignFury posted...
Agreed.
Everyone gangsta until country roads starts playing.

User Info: NickFuentes2024

NickFuentes2024
2 months ago#99
It was right on the money. Great to see someone tell the racist, segregated f***s in Hollywood the truth to their face.

User Info: IShall_Run_Amok

IShall_Run_Amok
2 months ago#100
^
Provisional
User Since: Jan 2020
Active Posts: 30
Total Badges: N/A
Recent: N/A
Everyone gangsta until country roads starts playing.
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. What did you think of Ricky Gervais lil rant against "woke" Hollywood?
  • Topic Archived