• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. Godzilla had WAYYYYY too much focus on human characters (spoilers)

User Info: JackBurton85

JackBurton85
1 month ago#1
Just saw this and i was sorely dissapointed. I expected a dimwitted plot, i expected pisspoor, weak written characters. I was okay with that s*** living up to my low expectations, although ti was still lame this is the best they could come up with. Shoddy and corny mess.

But what i kept reading, from the bulk of both word of mouth and critics, was that it at least learned lessons from 2014 Godzilla and delivered on the monster chaos and fighting. I strongly disagree about just how well learned that lesson was.

We did get more monster action, plenty more even. However the monsters were still very much background players. Even during the climactic final fight sequence, the monsters are literally in the background thru much(if not most) of it. There's even a shot immediately after they finally clash in Boston where that plane all the major human protagonists travel around in(you know the B-2 looking one that gets more screentime than Godzilla) flies into the frame and completely covers up the two monsters. Even in that sequence, they just REFUSED to let these monsters have the full show.

It was truly bizarre. Yes we got a lot of monster action, but it felt like the movie rarely let that shine through and truly be the star. Things just constantly cut away back to the human melodrama. Id be starting to really get into the action and boom, here's more of these lame characters discussing the environment and saving the world. It was incredibly frustrating to watch. What's the point of getting more monster fights/skirmishes/glimpses if the movie forces them into the background.

I get the importance of showing humans in the same shots as the monsters fighting it out as it helps establish the scale, helps establish the danger involved. However this movie isn't doing it just for that function, if that function at all, most the time. It's doing it cuz these human characters themselves ARE the star, they ARE the focus. They're not there in the background to show scale as the monsters fight, they're in the foreground as the movie insists on its junk human-centered narrative(yet again) while the monsters fight in the background.

Also, was anyone else very dissapointed with the lack of city wrecking, building crushing sequences? This is a movie featuring a globe FULL of monsters destroying the world. At one point a newscast is playing in the background and the anchor refers to it all as the worst disaster in history. Yet what are we as an audience shown, what are we permitted to see? We get a few super quick glimpses of news coverage showing other monsters in other cities, we get the Mexican village which barely contains anything more than what is shown in the trailer, and an already safely evacuated Boston gets wrecked.

It was simply not enough. This is a giant monster movie, I need, i DEMAND, far more scenes of destruction. I was honestly somewhat shocked at how limited that aspect was.

The movie has some awesome bits, but overall it sadly was fairly forgettable, and the humans characters, which sadly are BY FAR the star of the show despite what any reviews/fans say, are horribly written, far worse than what we got in 2014s film. Maybe theyll continue to improve and FINALLY truly learn the lesson and Godzilla vs King Kong will actually do s*** right.

Oh and they better turn Zilla evil in the next one. This friend of mankind version is lame as hell. Evil Godzilla is soooo much cooler.
OFFICIAL gamefaqs policy per moderator staff: You can not wish death on ANYONE, to include Adolf Hitler or mass murderers, when posting on gamefaqs.

User Info: MetaFalconPunch

MetaFalconPunch
1 month ago#2
Don’t be so shallow, giant monster action is impressive BECAUSE it far eclipses what humans are capable of, or used to seeing. You’ll numb the effects if you just keep showing monsters without letting the human PoV show what the scale truly looks like from our eyes. For me, the human PoV took the fights from “giant punch-out” to “disaster-sized thriller”.

KOTM is told from the view of humans because it’s about humans learning to coexist with Godzilla and co. “This is his world, we’re just living in it” and all that. And it was beautifully done.

And yes, the titans were rampaging across the globe, but you can only show so many scenes of the same disasters before it loses its touch. The 4 main monsters were what’s important, and each played a unique role.

Learn to understand moderation.
Born too late to explore Earth, born too early to explore space. Born just in time to explore the wondrous and terrifying depths of the internet.

User Info: DesertPenguin09

DesertPenguin09
1 month ago#3
JackBurton85 posted...
Evil Godzilla is soooo much cooler.

I don't think you properly understand Godzilla as a character.
The sun is coming up, over the hill
Or maybe it's not I can't even tell...

User Info: WhatChuLookinFo

WhatChuLookinFo
1 month ago#4
MetaFalconPunch posted...

*nods*
http://imgur.com/a/U4ne8
https://media.giphy.com/media/3oKIPnug8JKwYq4S4M/giphy.gif

JackBurton85
1 month ago#5
You’ll numb the effects if you just keep showing monsters without letting the human PoV show what the scale truly looks like from our eyes.

I addressed the problem with this though. The humans aren't there JUST to show scale. Things don't cut away from the cool stuff to show scale or enhance everything by letting the human perspective shine thru, things cut away so we can see folks talk about the environment from the inside of an airplane.

The monsters aren't the focus, simple as that. You can let them be the stars while still successfully establishing scale from a human perspective and so forth. This movie doesnt even attempt that however.

And yes, the titans were rampaging across the globe, but you can only show so many scenes of the same disasters before it loses its touch. The 4 main monsters were what’s important, and each played a unique role.

And even with those 4 we hardly got much cityscape smashing.

But the entire appeal of this Godzilla movie was supposedly that they didn't take the "less is more" approach like the 2014 one did. That is the biggest argument made in its favor, constantly spouted on this board and by the positive critical reviews.

The issue isn't so much the amount of monster action shown(although that is greatly problematic and dissapointing with the aforementioned absurdly limited scenes of destruction), it's the execution of it. They shoved plenty of monsters at us, plenty of Godzilla, it was just pisspoorly done.
OFFICIAL gamefaqs policy per moderator staff: You can not wish death on ANYONE, to include Adolf Hitler or mass murderers, when posting on gamefaqs.

User Info: Anguirus111

Anguirus111
1 month ago#6
The focus of the Godzilla movies has really always been the human characters, Godzilla is often just a catalyst in their plotlines. And really, I don't think Godzilla's screentime in this movie was any more or less than the other films, even the ones more highly regarded.
I am as far beyond mutants as they are beyond you! I am eternal! (Apocalypse)

User Info: creativerealms

creativerealms
1 month ago#7
Yeah thats pretty much always been the case.
Feathered dinosaurs. I love feathered dinosaurs.

User Info: Jack_the_monke7

Jack_the_monke7
1 month ago#8
DesertPenguin09 posted...
JackBurton85 posted...

To be fair, Godzilla’s characterization has changed several times.
King Boo for Super Smash Bros!
StarD86 is forever my hero

JackBurton85
1 month ago#9
Anguirus111 posted...
The focus of the Godzilla movies has really always been the human characters, Godzilla is often just a catalyst in their plotlines. And really, I don't think Godzilla's screentime in this movie was any more or less than the other films even the ones more highly regarded.

I could be way wrong, readily admit i should watch the 2014 one again, but my memory of it is that once we FINALLY get Godzilla in the forefront, he's there to stay. Once they FINALLY deliver the goods, Godzilla/monster fights/destruction takes center stage without constant cutaways back to humans. They allow it to play out, they allow the attention to be fully focused on it. I remember that finale climactic battle being super cool, had no complaints about it(outside of the s*** dvd release with how dark it is).

Whereas with this new one, i felt they never fully let Godzilla steal the show, never let the monster action take over. They just kept cutting away. And that was par for the course throughout the film too.

I felt the mayhem in Shin Godzilla was better executed as well. Of course the satirical gov't/beauocracy narrative was the focus, however the scenes of of Godzilla destruction were the sole star when they were happening. They did a great job of allowing them to fully play out, not unnecessarily cut away constantly, never letting me fully get into it. We did get a s*** ton of narrative, s*** ton of talking and plotting, but i felt that came IN BETWEEN the satisfying monster action. Can't say the same for GOdzilla King of the Monsters, where instead of getting the human narrative in between awesome monster sequences, the human s*** is happening CONSTANTLY, and is being cut to constantly, even DURING the sequences where the monsters SHOULD be fully stealing the show and focus.

I think that's perhaps the best way of describing my dissapointment with the movie. My complaint has to do with execution, not mere screentime. My beef isn't simply that we don't see the monsters enough(we get some amazing shots of them, get plenty of eyefulls), or that the movie has a human focused narrative at all. It's to be expected that hte film focuses on human characters, but what i didn't expect was that that focus would exist and DOMINATE the film so thoroughly and consistently throughout, that it would be the focus EVEN in the middle of a monster fight, the middle of the movies climactic battle. Do you junk narrative, i expect that, but do it in between the action sequences, don't constantly cut away from the action to hammer more of the junk exposition thru.

JackBurton85
1 month ago#10
Jack_the_monke7 posted...
DesertPenguin09 posted...
JackBurton85 posted...

To be fair, Godzilla’s characterization has changed several times.

Yeah i didnt mean to imply that Godzilla is some legit evil, demonic force or anything like that. I just meant i prefer the "villainous" godzilla, the version that is terrifying people and destroying them and their world, not on accident as he's fighting greater threats, but because he is simply a raging beast out to wreck s***. That's FAR cooler than what we get in these new Western Zilla films.
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. Godzilla had WAYYYYY too much focus on human characters (spoilers)
  • Topic Archived