• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. Godzilla made me blind, can I sue? (Spoilers)

User Info: DeadBankerDream

DeadBankerDream
4 weeks ago#1
When Vera Farminga is done giving her evil eco terrorist speech and the camera stonecolds on Crouching Dragon Lady and she just deadpans to the camera "What a b****!" my eyes rolled so far back in my head I ended up swallowing them.

Why was she a twin? What was the point of that? Is that a setup for a sequel? Zilla vs Kongo?

Not really sure why critics get so much hate for disliking this stinker. Yes, it had more fights than the "first" Godzilla, but they were of significantly lower quality. Roland Emmerich's Godzilla gets s*** on (among other things) for using bad weather to hide the mediocre effects, but this film does the exact same thing. Mothra larva is covered in smoke effects ("oh no, our laser grid thing failed, now we have to kill the creature we've been nurturing for however many years, maybe we should have invested in further security measures?"), Ghidorah vs Godzilla phase 1 takes place in a snow storm (I didn't even realize Sally Hawkins died in that scene cause it was so obscured by the snowstorm and lump of giant monster effects and the only acknowledgement the movie had of it was Ken Watanabe sadly glaring at her picture) , Rhodan screen point brings with it a bunch of fire effects (honestly though, that's minor, Rhodan easily looked the best of everything in the film), godzilla vs ghidorah 2 has a huge rain storm that obscures everything, and climax boston just has a bunch of everything.

Godzilla himself looked way better in the other one. He stands out way more as a CGI element in this one. Which is weird to me since presumably most of the backgrounds are also CGI. The 2014 film had some great visuals of him in the water and how it reacts to his bulk. In this one water effects are nearly as bad as in the 1997 film, with Zilla having little to no impact on it. The underwater sequence where he goes all Abyssal Lagiacrus looked great, though.
The fights themselves are just not that interesting. The only one I really liked was Rhodan vs the fighter jets and even then I was disappointed in how easily he takes them out with flips rather than actually cool moves, and how inconsequential damage other than the kind meant to end a fight scene is. Rhodan vs Mohtra they push each other for a couple of minutes, then Mothra makes a tiny poke in Rhodan offscreen and its over. Zilla vs Ghidorah is mostly Godzilla having trouble dealing with three heads at a time while they bite him and occasionally getting a proper grip and ripping one off, some boltbeam back and forth, a little lifting action. I didn't think there were truly great moments in the fights like when Zilla rips the mothra apart with radioactivity in the first film. Even when he goes supersaiyan it's not to have some cool moves, its just to assplode and end the film. So yes, much more monster on monster action, but much less exciting than it was in the one with Kickass.
"Your mother was a broken down tub of junk with more gentlemen callers than the operator."

DeadBankerDream
4 weeks ago#2
Human element was at the very least as bad as the first one. Personally I thought it was worse. At least that one didn't give us a POV character into the world of world-ending eco terrorism in the form of an idiot child who just loves mommy. At no point was that not terrible.
Everyone overacts and makes speeches to the camera (I guess that's a thing, though? Like its meant to be monster shlock? So it's intentionally bad?) and it has that same "we gotta have a family drama at the center of the story for the audience to relate to" boardroom approach to storytelling as the first.
Super 8 dad is a superman who is in the center of every piece of action even though as far as I can tell he's just a guy who takes pictures of doggos and did a little technical work on Famiga's sonar thingy. But he's constantly giving expert advice on how to deal with giant monsters, they need him in a submarine to drop a nuke, he can fight his way through a military base under attack while everyone else is getting gunned down left and right. For some reason Serizawa gives him his research notes when f***ing off, but I don't understand why he wouldn't have given them to Ziyi Zhang? Everyone cares so much about this random dude who really is only there to save his daughter and has little relevance to the overarching plot.

I get its a movie and it cant be realistic or anything, but I heard so much about how the sequel changes the focus from the s***ty human characters to the monsters and I really don't think its true. More monster stuff, yes, but still as much terrible human drama. They even have a redemption arc for Farmiga after she personally orchestrates the death of millions if not billions of people. Lots and lots of bad comedy. It had a lot of similarities in the structure to Jurassic World in this regard. The white haired HQ science dude is a deadringer for the hipster guy in the JW HQ. Ghidorah and Zilla pushing the downed chopper around reminded me of the dinos pushing the weird ball things in JW. That guy who was at Congress with Sally Hawkins and Ken Watanabe was the god damn worst and he didnt even get eaten so he was in the whole film. Pilot ejecting himself into Rhodan's mouth was hilarious, but in a so dumb its funny way.
Lots of weird editing in the film where Super 8 dad would be standing in a science base and then a quick cut to him standing in a submarine or whatever. Normally you would have the character walk into the shot to give the impression of movement.
Overall I don't really see the difference between this film and something from say, the Asylum other than budget and the level of selfawareness. Sharknado knows its monster shlock and playing it up 200%. This movie also is that kind of shlock, but its not selfaware enough to play it up more than 40%, which makes it stand out as awkward when it does more so than funny. At least to me.
"Your mother was a broken down tub of junk with more gentlemen callers than the operator."

User Info: ReignFury

ReignFury
4 weeks ago#3
Its a Godzilla movie not Shakespeare
https://tinyurl.com/y52lxcv2
https://i.imgur.com/ckMyHXv.gif

DeadBankerDream
4 weeks ago#4
It's almost like I went into detail about why I found the Godzilla elements poor.

User Info: danzam40

danzam40
4 weeks ago#5
It’s amazing you were able to write that gigantic wall of text after going blind.
Won't change signature until Samoa Joe wins a world championship in WWE or is released!!
Created 06/22/17

DeadBankerDream
4 weeks ago#6
I have a braille keyboard.

User Info: Irrelevant

Irrelevant
4 weeks ago#7
The twin thing is a nod to Mothra having twin priestess that were small and spoke in unison. I was happy to have twins at all.
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8513/guyversfightmc1.gif
Snesman64 and I are brothers stop being surprised.

User Info: danzam40

danzam40
4 weeks ago#8
DeadBankerDream posted...
I have a braille keyboard.

And a Braille smartphone/computer that changes with each website so you can navigate the internet and read responses to your posts. That’s some cutting edge technology. Also, congratulations on being able to learn Braille in the short amount of time since seeing Godzilla.
Won't change signature until Samoa Joe wins a world championship in WWE or is released!!
Created 06/22/17

User Info: MetaFalconPunch

MetaFalconPunch
4 weeks ago#9
Why do the people with the longest posts always seem to have the least to say?
Born too late to explore Earth, born too early to explore space. Born just in time to explore the wondrous and terrifying depths of the internet.

User Info: Irrelevant

Irrelevant
4 weeks ago#10
I liked the movie a lot. Gonna see it again...#7...
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8513/guyversfightmc1.gif
Snesman64 and I are brothers stop being surprised.
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. Godzilla made me blind, can I sue? (Spoilers)
  • Topic Archived