• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. Joker to be a Tragic Story that Comments On America's Current Political Climate

User Info: spicecold

spicecold
2 months ago#1
We've seen an awful lot from Joker in recent months thanks to set photos and officially released character portraits from director Todd Phillips. However, a new report claims that much of what we've seen online will play out on screen very differently to what most of us probably expect.

It's said that from a tonal standpoint, Joker feels unlike any other comic book movie before it and words have been thrown around like "heartbreaking," "pitiful," and "a tragedy" when it comes to describing what's shaping up to be a downbeat character study for Joaquin Phoenix's Clown Prince of Crime in this standalone origin story.

Now, this may prove to be rather controversial but it's said that we can also expect V For Vendetta style "political undercurrents" while the movie will also feature "some pointed commentary on Donald Trump."

A lot of people don't want to see real-life politics addressed in movies like this, so that could end up working against Joker. On the plus side, this report also mentions that it very much has a Taxi Driver meets The King of Comedy vibe and there will be plenty of surprises for comic book fans.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/joker/joker-will-reportedly-be-a-tragic-story-which-comments-on-americas-current-political-climate-a165703

User Info: JahnDixonUSA

JahnDixonUSA
2 months ago#2
Oh god...
When all else fails... you're still winning.

User Info: ProjectSiolence

ProjectSiolence
2 months ago#3
Makes sense, joker without a batman, in a super corrupt city. Batman Year One vibes im getting, could be really interesting

User Info: Robin_Mask

Robin_Mask
2 months ago#4
ProjectSiolence posted...
Makes sense, joker without a batman, in a super corrupt city. Batman Year One vibes im getting, could be really interesting

It sounds interesting if Bats is still in the background not going for Joker at all or yet.

From the lighthearted Joker in BTAS to the total ruthless bastard in Under the Red Hood, a realistic and political story with Joker sounds good. Plus keep in mind that TDK Joker was more of an anarchist so he was already getting a bit political.
My YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC8OmMlZXYXJmAi_f1vvNPg
This Gen:RDR2=GOW>FFX/X-2=FFXIITZA=Witcher 3>DOOM>Cuphead

User Info: JahnDixonUSA

JahnDixonUSA
2 months ago#5
Robin_Mask posted...

It sounds interesting if Bats is still in the background not going for Joker at all or yet.

From the lighthearted Joker in BTAS to the total ruthless bastard in Under the Red Hood, a realistic and political story with Joker sounds good. Plus keep in mind that TDK Joker was more of an anarchist so he was already getting a bit political.

I wouldn't say BTAS Joker was light hearted.
When all else fails... you're still winning.

User Info: Robin_Mask

Robin_Mask
2 months ago#6
JahnDixonUSA posted...
Robin_Mask posted...

I wouldn't say BTAS Joker was light hearted.

Just in context, the show wasn't that serious and grim.
My YT: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC8OmMlZXYXJmAi_f1vvNPg
This Gen:RDR2=GOW>FFX/X-2=FFXIITZA=Witcher 3>DOOM>Cuphead

User Info: C_Mat

C_Mat
2 months ago#7
Darn. And I had such high hopes for this movie.
https://youtu.be/muXbrE3u6ns | That farmhouse, there.

User Info: Mr_Party_Pants

Mr_Party_Pants
2 months ago#8
Post credits. Justice league 2. Calling it now.

User Info: HarryWarden

HarryWarden
2 months ago#9
Ugh, more political BS. Aren't people sick to death of hearing about them all the time? Why would you want them in your movies?

User Info: refmon

refmon
2 months ago#10
C_Mat posted...
Darn. And I had such high hopes for this movie.
If you read this signature, then that meant that I had control of what you read for 5 SECONDS!!
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. Joker to be a Tragic Story that Comments On America's Current Political Climate
  • Topic Archived