Just watched A Quiet Place for the first time (SPOILERS)

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. Just watched A Quiet Place for the first time (SPOILERS)

User Info: hulkhogan1

hulkhogan1
6 days ago#1
In terms of the overall idea of it, I liked it enough. Thought it was pretty clever and made for a tense, suspenseful situation. The acting was pretty well done too. All of that being said, I do have quite a few problems with it:

1. Why the f*** would the parents be so irresponsible as to bring a child into the world given the situation they were in? It’s not as if she was already pregnant when the aliens first invaded. We know she didn’t get pregnant until long after they already arrived. Why would they have even risked having sex at all (must have been the quietest sex of all time) with the potential of her getting pregnant and bringing a loud crying baby, who wouldn’t yet have the ability to keep themselves quiet, into this awful world?

2. The wife clearly already knew about the nail sticking out from the stairs when she got her clothes caught in it. Why would she not have found something to cover it up, so she could have avoided stepping on it?

3. When she was in the process of giving birth, couldn’t she have found something to cover her mouth or bite down on to try to keep herself from making a lot of noise? Oh, and the son just happened to have fireworks at the exact moment she was giving birth and needed a distraction. How convenient.

4. Are we really supposed to believe that a little girl was able to figure out the aliens’ weakness (at exactly the right moment they needed it) before any of the military or smart people out there in the world? This is probably the biggest thing that bothered me. Like is the rest of the world really that stupid?

5. The ending. I get it was supposed to be a “We finally know how to kill these things, come and get us motherf***ers!” kind of moment. But are we supposed to believe she had exactly enough ammo for exactly as many aliens that were left? Also, it’s a simple fact that she, and possibly her children as well, would go deaf fairly quickly shooting a shotgun a bunch of times without any kind of hearing protection. Are we not supposed to consider that? What a terrible mother. Also, how do we know there aren’t hundreds of those aliens out there? That basement is an awfully small space for them to be piling up all those alien bodies. What happens when there are simply too many of them?

I get that the movie needed to have a plot, but half the time I just kept thinking about how a lot of the things that happened could have been avoided if everyone (except for apparently their genius daughter) wasn’t so stupid. I sorta just wanted everyone in this movie to die because of how stupid (especially the wife) they were.
Hulkhogan1: Then, now, forever!
(edited 6 days ago)

User Info: HeyManNiceShot

HeyManNiceShot
6 days ago#2
1. I was thinking the same thing. How could they be so stupid and bring a child into this mess? I'm assuming they had sex under the waterfall to muffle the noise. Or else, what's the point?

2. I can't really blame her for forgetting about the nail. She was in labor with murderous creatures around.

3. The fireworks were set up for that specific moment. Same as the red lights.

4. It is stupid how she figured it out at that moment.

5. I don't think the plan was to let dozens of aliens rush them in the basement and shoot them. They were going to play the noise over the PA system and the mom would walk around and kill them as they flailed about on the ground outside.
What a good shot, man.

User Info: pothocket

pothocket
6 days ago#3
Yeah the internal logic of this movie was idiotic. Nothing made sense
http://www.koalastothemax.com/?aHR0cDovL2kuaW1ndXIuY29tL3pnMGpYWDcuanBn
Nitpicks, nitpicks, nitpicks
King Boo for Super Smash Bros!
StarD86 is forever my hero

User Info: GoodOlJr

GoodOlJr
6 days ago#5
Jack_the_monke7 posted...
Nitpicks, nitpicks, nitpicks

Yeah

The movie was a fun ride, and a new IP

Sorry it's not avengers
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3475/3291766630_b434e97925.jpg
3DS: 1005-8921-6109

User Info: specialkid8

specialkid8
6 days ago#6
There's plenty to nitpick in this movie but it really boils down to bigger problems. I thought it was going to be a slightly smarter horror movie but they really screwed up with keeping the rules straight. They went into meticulous detail about some of the stuff they do to stay quiet and others times are banging around like nothing is wrong. Nitpicking may be pointless but the movie is highly flawed on a deeper level.

User Info: mysticvegeta17

mysticvegeta17
6 days ago#7
3. When she was in the process of giving birth, couldn’t she have found something to cover her mouth or bite down on to try to keep herself from making a lot of noise? Oh, and the son just happened to have fireworks at the exact moment she was giving birth and needed a distraction. How convenient.

He didn't happen to have fireworks, that was a planned distraction. Jim planned for many things. Did you miss that part?
XBOX LIVE: GeeksNB3ach3Z
Currently playing: Monster Hunter World, DBZ Dokkan Battle, CoD WWII

User Info: velvet_hammer

velvet_hammer
6 days ago#8
#notenoughquips/10
GT4 showing Forza how 2 pitstop ever since
GOTY Nier "We are Homo Ludens. We are those who play."

User Info: pothocket

pothocket
6 days ago#9
mysticvegeta17 posted...
Did you miss that part?

I missed the part that explained why the aliens only cared about sound if it was made by humans and ignored all other types. How do they know?
http://www.koalastothemax.com/?aHR0cDovL2kuaW1ndXIuY29tL3pnMGpYWDcuanBn
pothocket posted...
mysticvegeta17 posted...
Did you miss that part?

I missed the part that explained why the aliens only cared about sound if it was made by humans and ignored all other types. How do they know?

It appears you also missed the part where one attacked a raccoon that was scurrying about. What other sounds are there? The birds who made noise were up in the sky. Did you want to see the aliens constantly attacking the river and waterfall?
What a good shot, man.
(edited 6 days ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. Just watched A Quiet Place for the first time (SPOILERS)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.