The 90s Were The Worst Decade For Movies

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. The 90s Were The Worst Decade For Movies

User Info: rockus

rockus
3 months ago#51
Mvsevm_of_Skin posted...
Zelek posted...
The 80s are a close second of being the worst decade for movies.

Really? Just to name a few off the top of my head...

...The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, Casualties of War, Platoon, Wall Street, The Hunt for Red October, Predator, Die Hard, Conan the Barbarian, The Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, Blade Runner, The Breakfast Club, Weird Science, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, The Gate, Gremlins, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Temple of Doom, The Last Crusade, The Thing, The Fly, The Dark Crystal, The Big Chill, The Color Purple, The Karate Kid, The Natural, Raging Bull, The Elephant Man, Grave of the Fireflies, Black Rain, Mad Max, The Road Warrior, Scarface, Glory, Chariots of Fire, Amadeus, Beverly Hills Cop, Ghostbusters, Witness, Stand By Me, Less Than Zero, Mississippi Burning...

Black Rain? Really?
http://thetramp.filmaf.com/owned
http://ReelFilmTome.com

User Info: Mvsevm_of_Skin

Mvsevm_of_Skin
3 months ago#52
rockus posted...
Mvsevm_of_Skin posted...
Zelek posted...

...The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, Casualties of War, Platoon, Wall Street, The Hunt for Red October, Predator, Die Hard, Conan the Barbarian, The Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, Blade Runner, The Breakfast Club, Weird Science, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, The Gate, Gremlins, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Temple of Doom, The Last Crusade, The Thing, The Fly, The Dark Crystal, The Big Chill, The Color Purple, The Karate Kid, The Natural, Raging Bull, The Elephant Man, Grave of the Fireflies, Black Rain, Mad Max, The Road Warrior, Scarface, Glory, Chariots of Fire, Amadeus, Beverly Hills Cop, Ghostbusters, Witness, Stand By Me, Less Than Zero, Mississippi Burning...

Black Rain? Really?

Out of all the movies I picked, Black Rain is the one you hold in disbelief? Lol!

Edit: Then again, I know of the strong hatred for this Ridley Scott mood-piece. Perhaps my love for it shows my bias. So fine, I stand corrected. Black Rain has been retracted.

User Info: LaManoNeraII

LaManoNeraII
3 months ago#53
Jurassic Park, Terminator 2, The Matrix, Episode 1, Titanic, Toy Story, Independence Day, Starship Troopers, Goldeneye, Saving Private Ryan, Forest Gump, Sixth Sense, Home Alone, Men In Black, every Disney movie they still ride to the bank, etc.

If it wasn't for the 90s Hollywood would be irrelevant today
http://i.imgur.com/WQJlV.png

rockus
3 months ago#54
Eh, it just seemed like an odd choice. I haven't seen it in ages though.

But yeah, like someone said earlier. Every decade is going to have good movies. I could probably name like 20 to 30 movies from the year 1960 on its own that I think are as good as most of that list. But I don't know if we're going to convince others just by naming a few dozen movies though.

Mvsevm_of_Skin
3 months ago#55
rockus posted...
Eh, it just seemed like an odd choice. I haven't seen it in ages though.

But yeah, like someone said earlier. Every decade is going to have good movies. I could probably name like 20 to 30 movies from the year 1960 on its own that I think are as good as most of that list. But I don't know if we're going to convince others just by naming a few dozen movies though.

I absolutely adore it. Michael Douglas. Andy Garcia. Yasaku Matsuda. Ken Takakura. Kate Cap- eh, let's skip her. Yakuza! Rain! Karaoke! It has it all. So yeah, think of me should you ever give it a rewatch. :)

Totally agree. Which is why I think it's silly when I hear "X decade had the worst Y." For me, today alone had its share of ups and downs, Why would an entire decade be any different?

rockus
3 months ago#56
I still think one could argue that one is stronger than the other though but I rather think of trends, film movements, maybe spans of the careers of certain filmmakers as they can often run with and define film movements and the like. That sort of thing. Like I look at the 60s and I think of the French New Wave, of the Japanese New Wave, of how American cinema was changing by the end of the 60s and what it shaped into in the 70s, and what so many other international filmmakers were making at the time. When I think of the 50s I think of directors like Kurosawa, Ozu, Mizuguchi making some of their best films. Of Bergman and Fellini in the 50s and 60s. When I think of the 40s I think of Italian Neo Realism, of Noir and so forth.

And comparatively I don't think the 80s are quite as strong as those decades in the same fashion, as with the 90s. Not that there aren't great movies from the period or great filmmakers. Woody Allen probably has his best run in the 80s. Martin Scorsese has some great films then, as does Spielberg, Zemeckis, and so forth. New generations of Hong Kong and Chinese filmmakers were emerging in the 80s and 90s. I'm a huge fan of the Taiwanese New Cinema movement of the 80s and what those filmmakers would later make in the 90s, though I imagine that's probably an acquired taste.... So, I'd agree that one shouldn't argue that say the 80s aren't without merits, I was just arguing that I don't think it's as strong overall.

User Info: Monopoman

Monopoman
3 months ago#57
Mvsevm_of_Skin posted...
Monopoman posted...
Mvsevm_of_Skin posted...
Zelek posted...

Missed some big ones.. Ferris Buellers Day Off, Risky Business, Back to the Future, Fish Called Wanda, Meaning of Life, Spaceballs, ET, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Batman (1989), Heathers, Lampoon Vacation, Caddyshack, Neverending Story, Airplane, Roger Rabbit, Beverly Hills Cop, The Goonies, Stand By Me.

Yeah there is so much good s*** in the 80s I just can't even fathom how someone could find the decade "poor" for movies.

Hey now! :p

But yes, it is unfathomable. Hate on the 80's? Sure, I get it. But some things truly are sacred.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xgx4k83zzc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2JSXKFWqGI

Yeah I went through the list and thought I only got ones you missed but I did duplicate a few.
BF ID: Birck #1559845599
Leads: Senbonzakura Miku, Priestess Snow Miku, Bjorn+Linlin

Mvsevm_of_Skin
3 months ago#58
rockus posted...
I still think one could argue that one is stronger than the other though but I rather think of trends, film movements, maybe spans of the careers of certain filmmakers as they can often run with and define film movements and the like. That sort of thing. Like I look at the 60s and I think of the French New Wave, of the Japanese New Wave, of how American cinema was changing by the end of the 60s and what it shaped into in the 70s, and what so many other international filmmakers were making at the time. When I think of the 50s I think of directors like Kurosawa, Ozu, Mizuguchi making some of their best films. Of Bergman and Fellini in the 50s and 60s. When I think of the 40s I think of Italian Neo Realism, of Noir and so forth.

And comparatively I don't think the 80s are quite as strong as those decades in the same fashion, as with the 90s. Not that there aren't great movies from the period or great filmmakers. Woody Allen probably has his best run in the 80s. Martin Scorsese has some great films then, as does Spielberg, Zemeckis, and so forth. I'm a huge fan of the Taiwanese New Cinema movement of the 80s and what those filmmakers would later make in the 90s, though I imagine that's probably an acquired taste...

Again, I agree. There's a point to those types of arguments, perhaps even a need. To understand where film came from is just as important to understand where film is going. As mentioned, I can understand the hate for the 80's. But films are a reflection of the times, politically, socially, and economically. For a lot of people in the Reagan era, films were a means to escape. This is why fantasy, sci-fi, horror, and the like all made their mark. Speilberg presented a brand new reality. Add VHS home theaters and the market was full of escapism. There was no need for 60's and 70's gritty reality in film, because for a lot of Americans, they were already living the gritty reality.

For me, there's a difference between talking about where film was during a particular decade, what was its influences, how did it evolve, etc., versus flat out dismissing a point in time as "the worst."

User Info: lordjers

lordjers
3 months ago#59
Now that's just trolling.
Backlog: Starcraft: Brood War (PC). Episodes IV-VI, Enslavers II, Dark Origin, Deception, Mercenaries II, Resurrection IV.

User Info: kaii23

kaii23
3 months ago#60
Funkx posted...
1998 when the first American godzilla came out... cinemas flatlined. There was pretty much nothing good coming out and the theaters were frequently empty. This actually really helped Titanic make tons of money because people were going to see it 2-3 times after it came out because there was nothing else to f***ing watch. I saw Titanic three times in the theater and I f***ing hated it every time.

Good Will Hunting also was out at the same time that Titanic was out. Those were two of the best movies of the entire decade. I remember that time vividly.
PSN kaii23
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. The 90s Were The Worst Decade For Movies

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived