WEEKEND BOX OFFICE: Star Wars: The Last Jedi #1 with around $220,000,000

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. WEEKEND BOX OFFICE: Star Wars: The Last Jedi #1 with around $220,000,000

User Info: Redwinevino

Redwinevino
7 months ago#21
brimicbed posted...
http://deadline.com/2017/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-overseas-opening-coco-international-box-office-1202228782/

Episode VIII opened to No. 1 in all but four offshore markets

I'm curious what beat it in those countries.

South Korea, India, Malaysia and Turkey.

Steel Rain - South Korea
F ukrey Returns (second weekend) - India
Aile Arasinda (third weekend) - Turkey
? - Malaysia.

Source - I asked on r/boxoffice
You will be killed, without warning, in Book Six of A Song Of Ice And Fire.

User Info: brimicbed

brimicbed
7 months ago#22
ClayGuida posted...
__Stewa__ posted...
brimicbed posted...
thesmark posted...
ClayGuida posted...
It's been over 5 years and still nothing has topped Avengers. Wonder if Infinity War will.

In terms of what? Financially, Both TFA and TLJ beat it out in openings in the U.S. and The Fate of the Furious has the record for biggest worldwide opening ever

He's taking this stance that those don't count because they opened on Thursday night instead of midnight Friday.

I saw Avengers on a Thursday night. That practice started around that time as well.

You saw it on Thursday at midnight ie Friday morning, not at 7pm. Those evening shows didn't start until after Aurora.

They were less common, but they did happen.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=ironman.htm

Iron Man in 2008 for example. Back then they were listed as a separate Thursday box office instead of being included as part of Friday.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2010&wknd=16&p=.htm

Kick-Ass in 2010 started the trend of including Thursday as part of Friday (the studio did so to make Kick-Ass #1 that weekend). BOM still lists the disclaimer.

User Info: LostSeason7

LostSeason7
7 months ago#23
kirbyhoakage posted...
lol people actually went to the movies to see wonder? That kid is fugly as heck in the movie. julia roberts must have a lot of star power still.

At the theater I work at, Wonder outgrossed Justice League that weekend.
Can't get a job because I don't have experience. Can't get experience because I don't have a job.

User Info: BigLargeHuge

BigLargeHuge
7 months ago#24
brimicbed posted...
Murder on the Orient Express is a big hit. $297 million worldwide so far on a $55 million budget.

It’s an especially big hit in Europe. It’s outgrossed the likes of Wonder Woman, Logan, and Apes in the UK. It opened at #1 in Italy and then actually increased in its second weekend. And it’s the highest grossing movie of the year in Greece.
cabbage

User Info: thesmark

thesmark
7 months ago#25
LostSeason7 posted...
kirbyhoakage posted...
lol people actually went to the movies to see wonder? That kid is fugly as heck in the movie. julia roberts must have a lot of star power still.

It's grossed $109 million this year and is a clear surprise hit. As probably the only person on this board who went to see it, it's a perfectly fine feel-good family movie and Jacob Tremblay is good in it
A's/Raiders/Warriors/Duke/Stanford
My quest to watch and review all 537 Best Picture Nominees: https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/228-movies-home-media/75486436

User Info: LostSeason7

LostSeason7
7 months ago#26
thesmark posted...
LostSeason7 posted...
kirbyhoakage posted...

It's grossed $109 million this year and is a clear surprise hit. As probably the only person on this board who went to see it, it's a perfectly fine feel-good family movie and Jacob Tremblay is good in it

I enjoyed the movie too! It's a HUGE hit in my small town theater. It's the Star Wars for the elderly.
Can't get a job because I don't have experience. Can't get experience because I don't have a job.

User Info: __Stewa__

__Stewa__
7 months ago#27
ClayGuida posted...
__Stewa__ posted...
brimicbed posted...
thesmark posted...
ClayGuida posted...
It's been over 5 years and still nothing has topped Avengers. Wonder if Infinity War will.

In terms of what? Financially, Both TFA and TLJ beat it out in openings in the U.S. and The Fate of the Furious has the record for biggest worldwide opening ever

He's taking this stance that those don't count because they opened on Thursday night instead of midnight Friday.

I saw Avengers on a Thursday night. That practice started around that time as well.

You saw it on Thursday at midnight ie Friday morning, not at 7pm. Those evening shows didn't start until after Aurora.

Lol you’re gonna tell me when I saw it? f*** off. I definitely saw it before midnight.
http://imgur.com/aV1IHUa

User Info: ClayGuida

ClayGuida
7 months ago#28
__Stewa__ posted...
ClayGuida posted...
__Stewa__ posted...
brimicbed posted...
thesmark posted...
ClayGuida posted...

Lol you’re gonna tell me when I saw it? f*** off. I definitely saw it before midnight.

Congrats, you were in one of the four theaters that showed pre midnight showings.
lolAmerica

User Info: Lord Seth

Lord Seth
7 months ago#29
Bleuets posted...
I don’t understand the logic in releasing Ferdinand this weekend. You can’t even say well it’s a kids movie so people who don’t see Star Wars will see Ferdinand. The kids are getting taken to Star Wars too.

Yeah, it's completely baffling. Someone might say the fourth Alvin and the Chipmunks movie went up against The Force Awakens and ended up grossing a good amount... but it also grossed considerably less than any of the previous Alvin and the Chipmunks films. I'm not sure of the timeline but it's possible they picked that weekend before it was announced as the release date for The Last Jedi, but even if that was the case they should've quickly moved it away.

Maybe now that a lot of people have seen The Last Jedi, Ferdinand might do okay next weekend (i.e. it'll certainly drop, but it might not drop that much due to people who had it as their second choice showing up), but not putting it on a different weekend so they wouldn't have to worry about that is a real head scratcher.
"If you make the outcome of the match about passion, then you might as well be saying that the loser just didn't want it enough." -Kei Tachikawa

User Info: brimicbed

brimicbed
7 months ago#30
Lord Seth posted...
Someone might say the fourth Alvin and the Chipmunks movie went up against The Force Awakens and ended up grossing a good amount... but it also grossed considerably less than any of the previous Alvin and the Chipmunks films.

But that series was suffering sequelitis anyway.

Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel $219,614,612
Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked $133,110,742
Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip $85,886,987 (this is the one that went against TFA)

The 3rd in particular was a big drop from the 2nd. Road Chip probably would have done just as poorly if not worse if they held it off for a few months.
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. WEEKEND BOX OFFICE: Star Wars: The Last Jedi #1 with around $220,000,000

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived