mother! was pure insanity.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. mother! was pure insanity.

User Info: Stonedwolfed

Stonedwolfed
7 months ago#21
WallStreetWolf posted...
To add something no one has touched on yet, I mentioned in my review that it's interesting the film briefly discusses the generational age gap between Mother and Him

I almost didn't see it because, you know, older actor younger actress for film coupling.

I'm glad I didn't worry because in the context of the film (old god, young gaia) it's not only perfect it couldn't have worked any other way.
Understanding the rationality of SJWs is like trying to smell the colour 9.
Locating the humanity of neo-Nazis is like finding the Unicorns' Graveyard.

User Info: pringles448

pringles448
7 months ago#22
The movie was f***ing awful. That's all you need to know.

User Info: Stonedwolfed

Stonedwolfed
7 months ago#23
pringles448 posted...
The movie was f***ing awful. That's all you need to know.

Well it's certainly no Bats vs Supes thats fer sure!
Understanding the rationality of SJWs is like trying to smell the colour 9.
Locating the humanity of neo-Nazis is like finding the Unicorns' Graveyard.

User Info: SRR Capdown

SRR Capdown
7 months ago#24
WallStreetWolf posted...
To add something no one has touched on yet, I mentioned in my review that it's interesting the film briefly discusses the generational age gap between Mother and Him, not just because Jennifer Lawrence is dating Aronofsky. Such a relationship makes some people uncomfortable or their against it, but I feel like those people will get to the end of the movie realizing that's the most normal aspect of the movie.

It was the most normal thing yeah, but I think it was definitely used to create some themes of abuse. I think it was one of the most overt themes in the film, so it doesn't seem to be mentioned so far as everyone is discussing the less obvious ones.

***[SPOILERS]***
(I don't want to turn this into a huge wall of black boxes)
***[SPOILERS]***

Older, successful man, partnered with a young, weaker willed woman. Throughout the film her needs and wants are constantly ignored, she's clearly more in love with him than he is her, there's the aforementioned traditional gender roles too. There was a big 'gaslighting' moment where she's talking about feeling trapped and Him turns around and says something like "you're the one who's trapped?! I'm the one who's trapped" and blames her for it.

The sex scene starts off very rapey. She's ready to leave and he won't let her and eventually she submits. It's immediately followed by her bliss in thinking she's pregnant. He finally gave her a little of what she wanted; sex and a potential baby, and she no longer wants to leave him.

Although he doesn't do it himself, when she first stands up for herself against the crowd/worshippers, she gets beaten, stripped and spat on, called a slut, a tease, a whore etc. And it takes another, final acts of courage, specifically aimed against Him, for her to break free, quite literally in the sense of the floor around her shattering as she does. But ultimately, she can't escape and is still his victim. Despite all the damage she does trying to break free, he's still there standing, in control. He even says along the lines of 'even after everything, you still love me" before breaking her heart out of her chest.

***[END SPOILERS]***
Fire Bucket

User Info: PhazonReborn

PhazonReborn
7 months ago#25
This movie sounds f***ing ridiculous

I've never liked Aronofsky's films anyway. It's basically purposefully wasting my time to sit and watch his tripe.
Now playing: Suikoden II (Vita), Resident Evil: Revelations (PC), Sonic Mania (Switch)

User Info: STEROLIZER

STEROLIZER
7 months ago#26
That wasn't a heart in the toliet. It was Adam's rib in which God used to create Eve.
"I take a glimpse into time
watch the blimp read the world is mine".

User Info: Vyyk

Vyyk
7 months ago#27
It's a really obvious metaphor of Genesis. Lots of pretentious people trying to make it deeper than it is.
GSV Rest in Peace, Good Man

User Info: Raycon

Raycon
7 months ago#28
Vyyk posted...
It's a really obvious metaphor of Genesis. Lots of pretentious people trying to make it deeper than it is.

To be fair, Genesis is basically a horror movie on its own.
I must have looked a fool playing with a backwards DS, teary eyed solving a Sudoku puzzle -Lordx718

User Info: Phoro

Phoro
7 months ago#29
tag
GameFlux: Unofficial GameFAQs board browser

User Info: Alexanaxela

Alexanaxela
7 months ago#30
mother! in a nutshell: god is an a******
Tomorrow will be the most beautiful day of Raymond K. Hessel's life. His breakfast will taste better than any meal you and I have ever tasted.
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. mother! was pure insanity.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived