Spiderman: Homecoming was pretty boring and generic *mild spoilers*

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. Spiderman: Homecoming was pretty boring and generic *mild spoilers*

User Info: holden4ever

holden4ever
9 months ago#21
rockus posted...

I mean I get it, you read a screenwriting book once or had an intro film class or something.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m43fmnEFfl1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

Sounds like a lot of people on this board.
http://i.imgur.com/2jSUbze.jpg http://i.imgur.com/AKNXp1r.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/N2r3fyh.jpg http://i.imgur.com/WzYnSs9.gif

User Info: ClackMan

ClackMan
9 months ago#22
lv54spacemonkey posted...
Nah. It's really good. Just saw it. Not sure you have. Mary Jane ain't even in it. there's an MJ... she ain't Mary Jane.

Nothing in this Troll's Rant says he saw the movie!
Looks like he only saw the trailer

WW was "better" no reason why just "better"
he said the final "set piece" was s*** (mature language ofc)
but ignored the CG filled POWER UP nonsense in WWs final act we've seen a million times
at least in SPHC the villian Well let's just say it had nothing to do with power
Do NOT Subscribe to my YouTube channel!! I have enough already, thank you!

User Info: bobbysjoby

bobbysjoby
9 months ago#23
Sounds like your average generic superhero movie. No thanks

ClackMan
9 months ago#24
bobbysjoby posted...

name 1 thats not

bobbysjoby
9 months ago#25
Dark Knight and Logan obv

bobbysjoby
9 months ago#26
Blade 1 and 2

ClackMan
9 months ago#27
bobbysjoby posted...
Dark Knight and Logan obv

bobbysjoby posted...
Blade 1 and 2

Speaking of generic

ClackMan
9 months ago#28
bobbysjoby posted...

instead of using a blanket statement like generic
tell us what u expect
lets see if ur right

ClackMan
9 months ago#29
exactly

User Info: TruthAndJustice

TruthAndJustice
9 months ago#30
rockus posted...
would point to the two of them making the choice to head to the International Space Station by MMU being the end of the first act, a choice they reach after discovering that their shuttle has been damaged by the debris.

Arguable. They've reached their point of no return well before they make the decision to head to the space station. That would be the first beat of the second act, traditionally. It doesn't really matter though, but I'm just reiterating the point that there isn't much of a first act in this movie, relatively speaking of course.

Also, being in space doesn't need a choice to be made because it isn't a plot point in context to the story as a written script precisely because it isn't a choice that is made in the course of the movie's narrative, nor does it have to be. Just like a first act doesn't have to take place on Earth before they go into space. These things aren't included in the plot by script or in film because they aren't necessary for the narrative arc that is the movie. The difference between plot and narrative from story. We don't need to see the decision to go into space unless the plot had the need to present conflicting desirable alternatives depending on the choice to stay on Earth or not to stay on Earth. It's merely a part of what presumably would take place before the on screen narrative began. They're in space because that's the setup of the movie and part of their job that places them into space. It's like asking for a movie about a cop to include the reason why the protagonist became a cop. We don't need to see the choices that Riggs and Murtaugh made to become cops, just like we don't need to know the choices that got Gravity's characters into space.

This is circular logic because you're stating that the plot was made in such a way that doesn't require that particular narrative when it's precisely the plot that's being criticised. You even said it yourself:

Gravity's criticisms on its writing come not from its lack of a three act structure but just from mostly pretty thin writing within that three act structure

And that's precisely the point. What's being suggested is that the characters of Ryan and Michael should've been more fleshed out before we get to the 2nd act. What do we know about them? Not much. Ryan even talks about her daughter, surely that aspect should've be shown rather than told to us? That's what traditionalists of the scriptwriting ilk had problems with, Gravity is not considered to have fully fleshed its characters because it's 1st act is short and flimsy.

Your analogy doesn't make much comparative sense. I'm not saying we need to know why they went into space, but rather something to flesh out Ryan's character, perhaps showing her visiting her daughter's grave as opposed to her just telling the audience. The line about her daughter was put there to bring some dichotomy to her character, her will to live versus her anger at life.

As for Spiderman: Homecoming I stand by my criticisms. There's nothing complex about the three-act-structure, I'm not going to get on my high horse and state you know nothing about it because we disagree on Gravity's structure, there really isn't anything special or elite to know about it. My criticism about Homecoming is that it uses the three-act-structure in the most boring and basic way possible, they literally took the template and didn't even try to hide the beats. I would say it was lazy storytelling.

Parker's arc was also boring as s***. Something about him not needing the suit, it ends with him making the heroic decision not to join the Avengers, which felt contrived as f*** because at no point did the story make me feel like Parker would make that decision. Yeah, some brief s*** about him not wanting to leave education but that was flimsy.
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. Spiderman: Homecoming was pretty boring and generic *mild spoilers*

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived