• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. After Earth is, in my opinion, a movie strongly influenced by Scientology.

User Info: freddurstinsd3

freddurstinsd3
7 years ago#21
Not to mention, the Florida school board allows Applied Scholastics as an alternative teaching method, secular Montessori schools used the technique for a time before abandoning it, and schools in Italy and South Africa have approved its methodology.

Much of everything else you're saying is speculation based on mythos inherent in numerous stories. Almost all adventure stories deal with the hero either filling the void of a missing father or seeking their father's approval, the suit just resembles any number of military suits known now (looks like a Navy uniform), the volcano seems to be a prime motivator to get to the beacon in a certain degree of time, mind over matter is a tenement of a lot of stories - so I can't much buy emotional control as a strong factor, the plane looks like nothing more than an updated space shuttle, and paramilitary organizations perpetrate almost ALL space mythology (Starship Troopers, Star Wars, the Aliens series, Ender's series).

I'm sorry, but everything you're arguing for is grasping straws. Not to mention that damning evidence you have is merely the catalyst in the trailers. Jaden only has an extremely limited window of time to reach the beacon because the volcano is going off and will kill him and his father. It's merely a convenient plot device as a race against time, but I can't justify damning it as anything more.

You have three days before it can proven as true or false, but I seriously don't buy this as a Scientology picture.
2010 Palace of Wisdom Best User from Connecticut

freddurstinsd3
7 years ago#22
Not to mention there's already been a big budget Scientology film that went underneath a lot of people's noses a couple years back...

Fortunately, it starred Nicholas Cage and was terrible, like mostly all of Nicholas Cage's recent films.

User Info: DarkAcolyte755

DarkAcolyte755
7 years ago#23
freddurstinsd3 posted...
Not to mention, the Florida school board allows Applied Scholastics as an alternative teaching method, secular Montessori schools used the technique for a time before abandoning it, and schools in Italy and South Africa have approved its methodology.

Much of everything else you're saying is speculation based on mythos inherent in numerous stories. Almost all adventure stories deal with the hero either filling the void of a missing father or seeking their father's approval, the suit just resembles any number of military suits known now (looks like a Navy uniform), the volcano seems to be a prime motivator to get to the beacon in a certain degree of time, mind over matter is a tenement of a lot of stories - so I can't much buy emotional control as a strong factor, the plane looks like nothing more than an updated space shuttle, and paramilitary organizations perpetrate almost ALL space mythology (Starship Troopers, Star Wars, the Aliens series, Ender's series).

I'm sorry, but everything you're arguing for is grasping straws. Not to mention that damning evidence you have is merely the catalyst in the trailers. Jaden only has an extremely limited window of time to reach the beacon because the volcano is going off and will kill him and his father. It's merely a convenient plot device as a race against time, but I can't justify damning it as anything more.

You have three days before it can proven as true or false, but I seriously don't buy this as a Scientology picture.

Agreed, mostly. With Will Smith so involved in this, I think it's more than grasping straws, and I don't even know how much of this will even be up to proven right with how the film goes. I just see quite a lot of stuff influenced in the themes of the movie, as someone who's read the book which includes writing about a volcano being used as a metaphor about the race against time for the human race and their salvation.
The Beard cannot be stopped, and soon all shall know the power of The Bearded One. -J. Harden, 10/31/12

User Info: LaManoNeraII

LaManoNeraII
7 years ago#24
Should I feel bad that I actually agree with the principles of so called Study Tech?

Even weirdos get to have one good idea every once in a while, I guess.
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009

User Info: Liarboy

Liarboy
7 years ago#25
freddurstinsd3 posted...
Yes, but since religion is one of the biggest defining characteristics of certain individuals, I sincerely doubt they'd accept a project that contradicts that mindset. If Whitta and Shyamalan have both made strongly pro-Christian films in the past, then I do not think they'd willingly make a blatant piece for Scientology, regardless of money.

Even if Michael Moore was broke, I sincerely doubt he'd rush out to shoot a film about how awesome trickle down economics was even if he was handed a ten million dollar check to do so. Religion and political identity are pretty inherent for some people's lives.

2 things here. 1 is that you assume that Shyamalan is a Christian. He's not. He's a Hindu. And for the whole "people won't have anything to do against their religion" bit, yeah, in general, but Shyamalan seems a lot more open to general spirituality/religion, than specifically to Hindism (I didn't even know he was a Hindu until I looked it up on Wikipedia), so I don't think Shyamalan would care/not be involved with a movie that had Scientology overtones. You said that he made "strong pro-Christian films in the past" and that Signs, Devil, and Lady in the Water have tremendously big Christian overtones, but that's not true. First of all, Devil isn't his movie; he didn't direct or write it, the story was simply based on an idea of his. Secondly, since he likes general spiritually/religion, he has a lot of religious and spiritual overtones in his movie, not just Christian. You just saw the Christian ones and assumed he was one.

Also, he didn't write After Earth: it was written by Will Smith and Gary Whitta. Shyamalan wrote a draft before it was polished by Stephen Gaghan and Mark Boal.

DarkAcolyte755 posted...
I didn't say it would magically or even subconsciously convert you. I'm sorry if you took it that way. I just meant the creator of it knew art and impressions work on a subconscious level. You probably wouldn't even know it was about scientology if you didn't read this, I'm just saying the movie isn't going to make anything clear, just offer it up and hope people will enjoy it for a good movie, thereby accomplishing its' goal of slightly introducing scientology imagery.

Fair enough.

But you say that scientology is not any more evil and just another religion? Have you read Dianetics? It's an inherently evil way to control people and I can go at great lengths about why the lines of thinking in that book are destructive to living a loving, positive life.

Haven't read Dianetics, so I can't comment.
An optimist falls of a 60 story building and, as he whizzes past the 35th floor, exclaims, "So far, so good!"

freddurstinsd3
7 years ago#26
He was raised Hindu, but he went to Catholic schools and says both influence his opinions and more self-aligns as Daoist. So yeah, I was wrong, but his films do contain Judeo-Christian overtones since - probably - the film is catered to a mostly Judeo-Christian audience.

Good job making the assumption on my interpretation though.

Also Smith simply came up with the film's log line while Whitta and Shyamalan wrote the first draft, which was then polished by Gaghan and Boal. Unless you consider ten or fifteen words to be a bigger impact on the film's story (though, admittedly, I'm sure Smith had significant oversight in terms of creative control).

User Info: animeape

animeape
7 years ago#27
I can't wait to be indoctrinated into Scientology.
A human life remains of consequence not because of what we leave behind, but because we act and inspire, and arouse others to action and inspiration... - Goethe

User Info: ReedRothchiId

ReedRothchiId
7 years ago#28
Either you also posted this on reddit, or you copied this from reddit
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/435/59335291.gif http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcaucywmKi1rcy8g0o1_500.gif

User Info: Ivynn

Ivynn
7 years ago#29
Interesting read TC. However, I must echo the sentiments that say they won't be indoctrinated by Scientology. Even if it has Scientology themes, it can be still be taken as a story. It's not going to provide sufficient evidence for their belief.

Scientology may seem like a weird cult, but don't all religions when they start out?
http://i.imgur.com/vDci4hD.gif

User Info: DarkAcolyte755

DarkAcolyte755
7 years ago#30
ReedRothchiId posted...
Either you also posted this on reddit, or you copied this from reddit

Also posted it, took about an hour before I got an upvote. Gamefaqs>reddit.

Ivynn posted...
Interesting read TC. However, I must echo the sentiments that say they won't be indoctrinated by Scientology. Even if it has Scientology themes, it can be still be taken as a story. It's not going to provide sufficient evidence for their belief.

Scientology may seem like a weird cult, but don't all religions when they start out?

I should clarify, I didn't really mean in my last paragraph that this movie will indoctrinate you in anyway. I really should edit the stuff about people changing once they see this movie, I agree wholeheartedly that this is just a story that works on the subconscious level.

I've read a lot of religious texts from most of the major ones. Most of them are welcoming of the human experience and are primarily used to spread hope and tell you how to live a good life. Scientology just proposes to have true working knowledge of the machinations of the universe and will tell you what you are as a human and how you must serve the interests of their group to be someone who gets to keep their life. It doesn't give moral tales or fables to help you live your life, it gives you a set of mental processing techniques to become something really unnatural. It's just so very selfish in what it proposes and is just very ridiculous because it doesn't promote hope, love for your fellow man, anything like that like the major world religions do. It literally reads like cheap sci-fi and tells you that it knows how your brain works and is your only hope of being a functional human.

Not to mention they are incredibly secretive in real life and live in communities you never hear about in the news. Every now and then someone escapes that life and gives TV interviews; what they describe is a terrifying experience with things like ritual rape, mindwashing techniques, stuff that you really don't find in your mosque or church.
The Beard cannot be stopped, and soon all shall know the power of The Bearded One. -J. Harden, 10/31/12
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. After Earth is, in my opinion, a movie strongly influenced by Scientology.
  • Topic Archived