• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. After Earth is, in my opinion, a movie strongly influenced by Scientology.

User Info: zithaz

zithaz
7 years ago#11
i read it. interesting. and weird. will smith sucks.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m02lct2g9l1qdlvg6o1_500.gif

User Info: freddurstinsd3

freddurstinsd3
7 years ago#12
Isn't M. Night Shyamalan a very strong Christian though? A lot of his films (Signs, Devil, Lady in the Water to an extent) have tremendously big Christian (well Judeo-Christian) overtones, so I doubt he'd write a Scientology film.
2010 Palace of Wisdom Best User from Connecticut

User Info: DarkAcolyte755

DarkAcolyte755
7 years ago#13
Liarboy posted...
CreekCo posted...
Liarboy posted...
I skimmed this really hard because the question of my mind was "even if it is a movie influenced by Scientology or whatever, so what?" but then I caught this bit at the end:

But I won't become a Scientologist because of a movie.

Maybe not consciously, no. LRH was a greedy man, but he was not a stupid man. He understood that works of art can imprint concepts and sensibilities onto others, even if it's only in a subtle, indirect manner.

Dude. "Maybe not consciously"? That does not mean anything. None of that means anything. Unless the movie manages to present a sufficient amount evidence that shows that Scientology is true, then I will not walk out of the theater believing in Scientology because that is my only condition on believing something. And if the movie does that-- which is farcical to suggest, but I'll consider it a possibility just for the sake of my argument-- then that would mean that it's obviously true and thus it would be harm not to believe it.

That is it. There is no more to it. All this talk of "imprint concepts and sensibilities" in a "subtle, indirect manner" and alluding to a "subconscious belief" doesn't mean anything because I either believe in Scientology or I don't. There's no in-between.

In my opinion, Basically, Scientology isn't some little church, it's the most powerful example in the modern world of a malicious, evil cult.

Oh give me a break. It's no more malicious or "evil" as any other cult (religion) in the world.

He straight up shows you the volcano; that was on all of the commercials for L.R. Hubbard books all throughout the 80s.

OK. I didn't dispute that After Earth is influenced by Scientology; I didn't even really read TC's post because I don't really care if it is or not. Given the fact that Will Smith is a Scientologist and that the movie is based on a story of Will Smith's and the fact that he has a lot of creative input on the movie, it wouldn't surprise me at all. I just don't think it matters at all, and I was disputing the reasons why the TC thinks it does matter. Ultimately, this comes down to the TC's bias against Scientology (see: this topic and it's last sentence). A ton of movies have Christian/Christ symbolism but I don't see him making the ridiculous claim that the movies will all "subconsciously"/magically convert everybody or whatever.

I didn't say it would magically or even subconsciously convert you. I'm sorry if you took it that way. I just meant the creator of it knew art and impressions work on a subconscious level. You probably wouldn't even know it was about scientology if you didn't read this, I'm just saying the movie isn't going to make anything clear, just offer it up and hope people will enjoy it for a good movie, thereby accomplishing its' goal of slightly introducing scientology imagery.

But you say that scientology is not any more evil and just another religion? Have you read Dianetics? It's an inherently evil way to control people and I can go at great lengths about why the lines of thinking in that book are destructive to living a loving, positive life.
The Beard cannot be stopped, and soon all shall know the power of The Bearded One. -J. Harden, 10/31/12

DarkAcolyte755
7 years ago#14
freddurstinsd3 posted...
Isn't M. Night Shyamalan a very strong Christian though? A lot of his films (Signs, Devil, Lady in the Water to an extent) have tremendously big Christian (well Judeo-Christian) overtones, so I doubt he'd write a Scientology film.

I don't think M. Night is even aware of this and probably is just along for the ride hoping he gets a surprise hit and back in the public's good graces. He also didn't write it.

Besides, the evidence I provided is just small visual details and thematic content that isn't going to be screaming out at the viewer.
The Beard cannot be stopped, and soon all shall know the power of The Bearded One. -J. Harden, 10/31/12

freddurstinsd3
7 years ago#15
He co-wrote it with Gary Whitta, the writer of Book of Eli, another film with strongly Christian overtones.

DarkAcolyte755
7 years ago#16
I don't think it's going to help any of us to assume that screenwriters and filmmakers are religious people who must make sure their religion is there in every single film they make. The fact is this is Will Smith's original story that he hired people like Whitta to help him with.

freddurstinsd3
7 years ago#17
Yes, but since religion is one of the biggest defining characteristics of certain individuals, I sincerely doubt they'd accept a project that contradicts that mindset. If Whitta and Shyamalan have both made strongly pro-Christian films in the past, then I do not think they'd willingly make a blatant piece for Scientology, regardless of money.

Even if Michael Moore was broke, I sincerely doubt he'd rush out to shoot a film about how awesome trickle down economics was even if he was handed a ten million dollar check to do so. Religion and political identity are pretty inherent for some people's lives.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but (1) you're going off assumptions from 10 minutes or so of trailers, (2) Will Smith has repeatedly said he isn't a Scientologist, that he's merely hyper curious about religions and identifies as Christian, and (3) while Applied Scholastics is based off of Study Tech, it is still seen as a secular form of instruction (still a bit odd, but nonetheless it can be separated from Scientology).

You just can't pronounce this as gospel until the actual film is out.

User Info: FolkenRawr

FolkenRawr
7 years ago#18
So I read everything, and like the other dude, the two things I keep thinking are-So what? and Who cares?

How is Scientology any different than any other religion?
I clean bird**** out of cuckoo clocks for a living.

DarkAcolyte755
7 years ago#19
Agreed. I said this was mostly my opinion in the topic title, and also said it functioned more with its imagery and subconscious then at the end of the movie saying "This has been a gospel of Scientology, the one true faith". I'm just talking about the images involved in this and the creator of said story.

DarkAcolyte755
7 years ago#20
FolkenRawr posted...
So I read everything, and like the other dude, the two things I keep thinking are-So what? and Who cares?

How is Scientology any different than any other religion?

I don't have to have an agenda with my posts, I can just analyze and offer my opinion of what a movie is trying to do without having to have some endgame.

I can also describe plenty of horror stories both in Scientology literature and the practice of its members, if you want, everything about the total obedience and devotion asked of its members to the severely debalitating practices they do with children in their isolated communes.
  1. Boards
  2. Movies: At the Theater
  3. After Earth is, in my opinion, a movie strongly influenced by Scientology.
  • Topic Archived