• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Ghost of Tsushima
  3. Struggling a bit with combat

User Info: Uglyface2

Uglyface2
1 month ago#1
I've never really gotten into the Soulsborne games, so I'm not really doing great with the combat. I'm now stuck on a duel against somebody who I guess I learn Heavenly Strike from, and he's killed me more than a few times already. I want to blame this on the camera, and it's at least partially at fault, but the vast majority of the issue is my not being able to time parries and missing the orange warning for the dodges. Aside from the fast sword-draw attacks, this guy isn't that much different from other swordsmen.

I've given up for tonight. Do any of you have advice?

User Info: SheenavsKilley

SheenavsKilley
1 month ago#2
Upgrade your katana on blacksmith. Increase the speed of your triangle attacks by upgrading.

Which attacks got you usually? And what were you doing?

Uglyface2
1 month ago#3
I'll have to get through this guy before I go any farther, but I'll make a beeline for the blacksmith when I'm done.

The attacks varied. The bit where I'm blaming the camera involves him moving to Jin's left and then busting out a fast strike; the camera doesn't quite keep up, so the orange warning is hard to see. He's also getting me with the standard attacks. I'm wondering if maybe I should stop trying to parry those and just go for a block. Then again, parrying seems to be the only way to get a few pokes in at him.

User Info: SheenavsKilley

SheenavsKilley
1 month ago#4
The only difficult attack that always gets me in duels is multiple thrust attack.
I have never figured out how to survive it other than being lucky and I managed to parry or dodge randomly or happened to be out of range.

For the quickdraw attack simply use the hold triangle combo of water stance to knock him out of it.

I almost never use Heavenly Strike myself so I'm not sure how it works.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: rancid_custard

rancid_custard
1 month ago#5
Questions, have you unlocked the water stance yet? Have you upgraded your parries on the skill tree? Have you got the charm that increases the perfect parry window?

Uglyface2
1 month ago#6
Water stance, yes. Parries, a little bit. Charm, no.

I did manage to beat the guy this morning. The new attack helps a bit against minor enemies, so I'm glad I've got it.

User Info: spidey_fan

spidey_fan
1 month ago#7
Uglyface2 posted...
Water stance, yes. Parries, a little bit. Charm, no.

I did manage to beat the guy this morning. The new attack helps a bit against minor enemies, so I'm glad I've got it.
Well it is an unblockable attack that does extra damage against staggered enemies so it's useful in duels to rake in some extra damage if you pay attention and perform it at the end of your melee string before your opponent's guard is recovered.
With great power comes great responsibility. Too bad I am 100% powerless, and there's nothing I can do about it.

Uglyface2
1 month ago#8
Now Jin decided that instead of fighting the staggered leader towards whom I'm pointing the stick, he'd rather charge headfirst into the center of a group of five or six enemies that he doesn't have the proper stance to fight.

This seems to happen with a lot of games, not just GoT. I'm pretty sure I can tell my right from my left, and this would mark the first time Jin has covered that much distance with a single swing.

User Info: DarkVortex

DarkVortex
2 weeks ago#9
This isn't related to dueling / just sword combat but I'll post anyway.

When you get kunai don't forget to use them & upgrade them. They can be a valuable tool when you're surrounded and make a mistake.

They ignore shields and enemy types and set the ones they hit up for free hits & executions. The technique you just got is great for taking out stunned/staggered enemies suffering from recent kunai hits.

I'd also advise getting good with the bow and unlocking concentration / slow-mo early. Free headshots can be helpful when thinning out enemies. I wanted to be purely about the sword at first too, but learned to really appreciate the bow as well.
"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell." - Edward Abbey
PSN - Coyote_Raoul

User Info: zeebra

zeebra
2 weeks ago#10
Uglyface2 posted...
I've never really gotten into the Soulsborne games, so I'm not really doing great with the combat. I'm now stuck on a duel against somebody who I guess I learn Heavenly Strike from, and he's killed me more than a few times already. I want to blame this on the camera, and it's at least partially at fault, but the vast majority of the issue is my not being able to time parries and missing the orange warning for the dodges. Aside from the fast sword-draw attacks, this guy isn't that much different from other swordsmen.

I've given up for tonight. Do any of you have advice?

You could try the moon stance and jump/slash instead of parry. It's kind of a brute force method, but I did that in alot of duels.
  1. Boards
  2. Ghost of Tsushima
  3. Struggling a bit with combat
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A