• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Television: Broadcast TV
  3. Good Place shows you can have a series finale that doesn't enrage fans *Spoilers

User Info: desuno-to

desuno-to
3 months ago#1
It helps that Schur himself wrote the finale, but it seems rare these days to have a series finale that doesn't enrage fans (GOT anyone?)

I think it helped that it wasn't some fast paced race that made you feel rushed, and they really took the time to plan out the buildup to the end. The final ep practically started about 2 weeks ago, and this was an ending that felt natural but still had its twists.

And the cameos. They practically brought in every character, including appearances by the writers and consultants. And TONS of easter eggs, some of which you literally have to freeze-frame to see (Trevor?).

This is how you make a series finale.
The difference a letter makes:
"i'm with tc about this" - "watashi mo onani desu"

User Info: SSJKirby

SSJKirby
3 months ago#2
The Good Place is one of the few rare shows that's fantastic from start to finish, and capped off with an amazing finale. Definitely gonna rewatch this show many times in the future
Not changing this signature until Beyond Good and Evil 2 is in my hand.
August 25th, 2010.

desuno-to
3 months ago#3
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSUSlzRr_tOotEhjkNrzbXw

The youtube channel is full of great material as well. If you haven't seen it, the webseries "The Section" is pretty relevant to the plot, and the 4 ep "Mother Forking Morals" features one of the consultants for the show (who appeared in the finale) explain some main ethical concepts from the show. And yes, you have the standard bloopers, mashups, highlights etc.

I also found "Janet's Void" to be funny. That's commitment to a bit.

User Info: Volvagia_slayer

Volvagia_slayer
3 months ago#4
The Good Place's finale left me satisfied but not fulfilled. The fact that the characters just decided to end their lives permanently without discussing any alternate solutions (of which there are plenty) was just really disappointing. The fact that the oblivion door didn't receive any counterarguments and that no one else in the Good Place came up with that idea or any other idea over the course of millennia even though the Soul Squad came up with it in a day felt kind of like a cheat. The fact that seemingly everybody gets to the Good Place now feels kind of lazy. Chidi deciding to leave Eleanor felt like an out of character writer's convenience just to bring Eleanor's journey full circle. The fact that the Time-Knife, Jeremy Bearimy's cyclical nature, a ridiculously enhanced Derek, and Janet's and Derek's half-formed creations ultimately had no meaning is a let-down.

But the journey to the ending was filled with beautiful and poignant moments. Michael becoming a human was perfect for him (though making him appear on Earth as an old man instead of getting to experience personhood from the beginning is head-scratching). Jason being the first to decide on oblivion and becoming a monk in the process just worked for him. Eleanor growing enough to think of Chidi before herself in the most important decision he would ever make speaks volumes of her growth. Hearing how Janet experiences time was profound.

But despite all the good, there was just so much missed potential along the way. Definitely not my least favorite series finale, but it would rank on the lower side for me, I think.

User Info: mnkboy907

mnkboy907
3 months ago#5
I do think they could've condensed their experiment in the first half of the season a bit so they could've had a second episode in the Good Place working out the problem before the finale, and I would've liked to see a couple more minutes of Eleanor coping post-Chidi, but overall I thought the finale was fantastic. The show as a whole was just so amazingly done. There's really nothing else like it.
Change is weird.

desuno-to
3 months ago#6
Volvagia_slayer posted...
The fact that the characters just decided to end their lives permanently without discussing any alternate solutions (of which there are plenty) was just really disappointing.
Tahani did exactly that though.
I am curious to hear what other alternatives the characters could have pursued though. Note that the system has been deemed to be "perfect" so there's no more going to the judge to revamp or reboot it. The only reason the judge even allowed the Michael exception is because it would get the cast out of her hair for all eternity - something Elanor kept her word on, so "no backsies" at this point as well.

User Info: Volvagia_slayer

Volvagia_slayer
3 months ago#7
desuno-to posted...
I am curious to hear what other alternatives the characters could have pursued though.

The squad essentially created purgatory with the new afterlife test system, so I was really expecting them to create reincarnation when they were coming up with ways to liven up the Good Place. In addition to oblivion or reincarnation, there's also creation (which would be akin to Tahani's choice - creating their own universes and/or people and teaching them to grow), exploration (visiting alternate dimensions or universes and spreading their newfound knowledge or simply coming to terms with things normally seemingly beyond human understanding of which we know many exist in TGP's "universe"), and modification, i.e., changing aspects of what makes a human human so that they never grow bored, tired, mentally soft, indulgent, or whatever vices that still plague humans in the Good Place thus allowing them to become pleasure zombies there.

desuno-to
3 months ago#8
Volvagia_slayer posted...
so I was really expecting them to create reincarnation
Is that exactly the whole testing process? If you're suggesting that they revert to a complete blank slate with no "hints", Olyphant correctly pointed out people likely won't improve.

I think one aspect I would have liked clarified is whether there is an infinite number of new humans being created. I would assume so, since in the previous system everyone went to the bad place and stayed there. This being the case, allowing for more choices would eventually overload the system, unless you had an infinite number of demons to create an infinite number of neighborhoods & good places for the infinite stream of humans.

I think the system works because you will always have a steady stream of "exiters" to make space for the new ones. Granted the stream of which may not always be equal, but it's better than having a bottleneck from those who want to try other alternatives instead of taking the binary choice.

User Info: Zanzenburger

Zanzenburger
3 months ago#9
I just love how a show with such deep philosophical elements got a full run without cancellation. I wouldn't exactly call it a "smart comedy", but it definitely is unique in the way it presents itself. There truly isn't another sitcom like it.

I loved the entire show. From the Season 1 twist, to the crazy twists every 3 episodes, to the character chemistry, and of course, the amazing finale. This is definitely one of my top 5 favorite shows ever.
Congratulations! Your post was deemed response-worthy.

User Info: PK_Spam

PK_Spam
3 months ago#10
It helps a lot that the last batch of episodes of the series were all excellent too.
https://i.imgur.com/hCHZS1f.gif
On 12/18 Donald Trump got impeached for abuse of power. Vote against the people who tried to protect him in upcoming elections.
  1. Boards
  2. Television: Broadcast TV
  3. Good Place shows you can have a series finale that doesn't enrage fans *Spoilers
  • Topic Archived