• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Television: Broadcast TV
  3. How does dc get away with referencing marvel?(spoilers)

User Info: GreenLantern188

GreenLantern188
1 month ago#1
Flash episode 17 s05. Spider-Man references. This isn’t the first time either lol
Bench 1RM: 287lbs
No big deal

User Info: ShadowMan033

ShadowMan033
1 month ago#2
If you show copyright material or use the exact name of the brand without permission, that could be subject to litigation.

Simply saying “Peter Parker” isn’t anything. And you saw how they tip-toed around by saying “spider-person”. It’s clean.

Even this season Elongated Man says “we can travel the way I saw in a comic book” and then stretched his limbs from building to building Spider-Man style. It is all legal.
LSU Tigers Baseball
#StairwayTo7

User Info: brimicbed

brimicbed
1 month ago#3
https://i.imgtc.com/TQGY3fw.jpg

User Info: LemmeHollaAtcha

LemmeHollaAtcha
1 month ago#4
That’s a Pinterest meme @brimicbed
Speak softly, carry a big stick - Benjamin Franklin
Poor people and minorities tend to vote Democrat. That's why they're poor - Sir Charles

User Info: brimicbed

brimicbed
1 month ago#5
LemmeHollaAtcha posted...
That’s a Pinterest meme @brimicbed

That's a real image from Runaways vol 2 #11.

User Info: LemmeHollaAtcha

LemmeHollaAtcha
1 month ago#6
Well, looking it up that issue was printed in 2005, and was over a decade and many court cases ago.

I know after the whole “Martha” thing in BvS there was a Spider-Man/Deadpool comic that poked fun at it and not a single syllable of “Batman” was said in that comic.
Speak softly, carry a big stick - Benjamin Franklin
Poor people and minorities tend to vote Democrat. That's why they're poor - Sir Charles

User Info: Strata2win

Strata2win
1 month ago#7
On teen titans go.. (I have a 2 year old..)

"Darkseid is the most powerful villain in the universe.."

"Could he beat Batman?"
"Yes"
"Could he beat Superman?"
"Yes"
"Could he beat Spider-Man?"
"Well.. Spiderman wouldnt fight darkseid"
:)

User Info: desuno-to

desuno-to
1 month ago#8
Isn't there a big difference between simply saying their name vs actually using their likeness?

Eg in the first Transformers Bayverse movie the characters look at scratch marks on the walls and make comments about Freddy Kruger & Wolverine.

Shows set in modern times also frequently mention other shows that don't air on their network.
The difference a letter makes:
"i'm with tc about this" - "watashi mo onani desu"

User Info: PStrife

PStrife
1 month ago#9
Spoken and visual references are just references. It is when you are using actual images/likeness is when copyright/permission comes into play.

User Info: gjdsj

gjdsj
1 month ago#10
There's no law against referencing something. That's how they "get away" with it. If referencing something ever becomes illegal, I will really fear for this world.
  1. Boards
  2. Television: Broadcast TV
  3. How does dc get away with referencing marvel?(spoilers)
  • Topic Archived