• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Star Wars
  3. Flashbacks in Star Wars
JimmyFraska 2 months ago#1
In the original six Star Wars films, there are no traditional flashbacks like you might see in a normal movie/show.

Even Force Awakens and Rogue One handled this well with their "Flashbacks". They didn't do traditional flashbacks, but rather, the ones they did were presented as either visions or dreams, rather than just the story cutting to a flashback.

However, since then, Lucasfilm seems like they don't care as much to match that style. We started to see traditional flashbacks, a little in TLJ, Rise of Skywalker, and Mandalorian. And I assume Clone Wars probably has some as well.

I don't like it, cause it breaks the style. It's just like... why?

This is the kind of thing most fans won't give a s*** about. In fact, a lot of fans would respond to me sayng "Lucas isn't in charge anymore."/"Flashbacks are good for the story." IE, they don't give a s***.

But to me (for reference, I'm an actor and amatuer screenwriter/director. I'm in the new Martin Scorcese movie)it breaks the style and tone of Star Wars. Just like when the spinoffs decided to stop using the screen swipes to switch scenes.

Now, those things: handling of flashbacks, screen swipes. Don't seem like a big deal right? But those are things that make Star Wars unique from other films and series. Now I know a lot of people here don't give a f***, but if I were to be a writer/director/editor for Lucasfilm, I'd be trying my damndest to fit with how Star Wars already is, rather than make it more like other movies. Star Wars doesn't need to be like other movies. It's already Star Wars.

And you might think "Well aren't there situations where flashbacks would be necessary?" Well, maybe?? But you know who did not need flashbacks at all in any way over six movies? George Lucas, and the other directors and editors he worked with.

For example, in this new Obiwan show, I think a lot of us are expecting that there will probably be Clone Wars flashbacks. Or this could apply to the Ahsoka show too.

Now, they could just cut to the flashback scenes like every other Hollywood movie. And I don't think your average fan would notice or care.

But rather than do that, if they wanted to stick with the style of those first films.... If I were working on the Obiwan show for Lucasfilm, I'd have an entire episode set in the Clone Wars. That way, we don't have to do flashbacks, but instead you'd just get a whole episode, contained, set in that time. And that would be the flashback for the entire series. Rather than, seeing just little Clone Wars scenes here and there throughout.

Some of the new Star Wars properties have been handling flashbacks in a normal movie way. But, I think going forward they should do more stuff like this idea I propose, in order to maintain the style of Star Wars. Why make Star Wars be like other movies and shows? You don't have to. You can get "flashback content" without traditional flashbacks.

I hope this is something Lucasfilm thinks about going forward. In the first few new Star Wars films, TFA and R1, you could tell they actually were thinking about it, because they explicitly didn't do traditional flashbacks when they could have. I didn't mind that. But after that, they stopped caring. I want them to care again.
Tony_Jake 2 months ago#2
@JimmyFraska I'm amazed you wrote that long of post just to say you don't like flashbacks in Star Wars movies.

Flashbacks are fine. Whatever the filmmakers think serves the story best they should do.
Turducken 2 months ago#3
Flashbacks are simply a narrative tool; they aren't inherently good or bad. This is a strange topic.
THE FIGHT WILL CONTINUE, AS LONG AS THE AMERICA INSIDE MY HEART IS STILL ALIVE
LordPoncho 2 months ago#4
This is a rather odd topic. The lack of flashbacks in 1-6 aren't necessarily a style choice but because the plot didn't call for one.
"lol der was a shdow on my carpet but ti looked like a stane and tried to clen it up but ti was a shadoow" -Ghost4800
JimmyFraska 2 months ago#5
Tony_Jake posted...
Flashbacks are fine. Whatever the filmmakers think serves the story best they should do.
Not if they're just making Star Wars like other movies.

Turducken posted...
Flashbacks are simply a narrative tool; they aren't inherently good or bad. This is a strange topic.
In a normal movie you're totally right. In Star Wars, they aren't used. It breaks the style and tone.

LordPoncho posted...
This is a rather odd topic. The lack of flashbacks in 1-6 aren't necessarily a style choice but because the plot didn't call for one.
They easily could have included some during one of the several parts where the past is referenced throughout all 6 of those. Even all the way to Revenge of the Sith, he still doesn't include any. At that point, it's not that they're uncalled for, but rather they are specifically being avoided. He had 30 years over six movies. It was done purposefully.

I just don't understand why people want SW to be like other movies. Why use them, when you can get whatever past content you want without using a generic flashback? I wrote the long post to provide the different ways of handling it.

Also don't know why you guys feel the need to say this is weird or something, you could just say "That's interesting, I never thought/noticed how the films handled them. I personally wouldn't mind if they included them." Don't need you to tell me my opinion is weird. I know I think about s*** other people don't, because I'm not just a fan but an artist.
(edited 2 months ago)
The_Yahtz09 2 months ago#6
Do whatever you want with the spin-off films, but I’d prefer the numbered entries remain as close in style and presentation to the OT and PT as possible. However flashbacks and scene changes are pretty far down the list on why I personally didn’t enjoy the ST as much as the Lucas films.
Arkansas Razorbacks || Oklahoma City Thunder || Cleveland Sports
JimmyFraska 2 months ago#7
The_Yahtz09 posted...
Do whatever you want with the spin-off films, but I’d prefer the numbered entries remain as close in style and presentation to the OT and PT as possible. However flashbacks and scene changes are pretty far down the list on why I personally didn’t enjoy the ST as much as the Lucas films.
Agreed, absolutely. I mean, for me, I would want the spinoffs or any live action content to try and follow the same rules as that Lucas set in the OT. I think people, like perhaps some of the users in this topic who posted before you, dramatically underestimate how important presentation is in a movie like Star Wars. George Lucas could have broken the style with the PT. It was over a decade later, it's an entirely different trilogy.... but he didn't. He kept the style, the tone, the rules that he put in place. So I get the users in posts 2, 3 and 4 who don't give a f*** about that, but for me, I think the example of how Lucas handled the PT should be followed henceforth.
Turducken 2 months ago#8
At that point, it's not that they're uncalled for, but rather they are specifically being avoided. He had 30 years over six movies. It was done purposefully.

I don't believe that's the case. Do you have any actual evidence of this? There's really not any point when a flashback was 'needed'.

Why use them, when you can get whatever past content you want without using a generic flashback?

Why not? If it's something in-depth, it might help. There's a 'show, don't tell' saying for a reason.

you could just say "That's interesting, I never thought/noticed how the films handled them.

Because it's not interesting, and everyone's noticed there aren't flashbacks. There's also nothing to suggest that the films purposefully avoided them as if they were something negative, rather than just not using them because it wasn't called for/in the budget.

I know I think about s*** other people don't, because I'm not just a fan but an artist.

Right. An artist worth their salt wouldn't 86 an entire narrative device without good reason. And technically, the entire prequel trilogy is a flashback. Not only is there nothing to suggest George had anything against them, there's certainly nothing to show it was some hard-and-fast rule he established for the franchise. Only there's some interview I'm unaware of?
THE FIGHT WILL CONTINUE, AS LONG AS THE AMERICA INSIDE MY HEART IS STILL ALIVE
leesmapman 2 months ago#9
Yes, it annoys me. It's a break from the narrative style the previous films use.
The chronological style of the story is part of what Star Wars is, like the wipes and the "I've got a bad feeling about this". Wipes and recurring lines are more obvious, of course, but this narrative break is annoying nonetheless.

PSN: Dr_Jones
www.popcorn-song.com / zoolook.nl
JimmyFraska 2 months ago#10
Turducken posted...

I don't believe that's the case. Do you have any actual evidence of this? There's really not any point when a flashback was 'needed'.

And there hasn't been a point since then when it's been needed.

Right. An artist worth their salt wouldn't 86 an entire narrative device without good reason. And technically, the entire prequel trilogy is a flashback.

I didn't propose that. If you read my comment, I presented the ways you could do flashbacks without breaking the style and tone of the original Lucas films. The PT, doing the flashback as an entire film/series instead of as little scenes in the OT, is a perfect example of how to do them. Or, like I pointed out, Rogue One handles it's opening flashback very well. It's not a time jump, rather the editing shows us it's a dream Jyn was having in the present timeline of the movie. It was a very clever way to incorporate a flashback without breaking the style and tone Star Wars.

leesmapman posted...
Yes, it annoys me. It's a break from the narrative style the previous films use.
The chronological style of the story is part of what Star Wars is, like the wipes and the "I've got a bad feeling about this". Wipes and recurring lines are more obvious, of course, but this narrative break is annoying nonetheless.
Thank you. I didn't think this was that hard of a concept to understand. It's a tonal break from what was established. I am not saying don't do flashbacks, but if you're going to do them, do them in a fashion that doesn't clash with the established style and tone of the series.
  1. Boards
  2. Star Wars
  3. Flashbacks in Star Wars
  • Post New Message