• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Secret of Mana
  3. Man this games makes it hard to like

User Info: dompa

dompa
5 months ago#1
Never played secret of mana before but when i saw the announcement i thought it looked quite interesting as i like jrpgs and especially more older ones. However i read quite alot of negativity especially surrounding the games technical problems. Therefore ive never really prioritized buying this ahead of everything else. But since i played trials of mana recently and really enjoyed it i went ahead and bought it. 19.99 isnt much to complain about. Atleast what i thought at the time before playing it.

Now im not gonna be to hard. There are things i really enjoy. The dialogue can be quite funny. The town music is great. But the gameplay is so rough it takes away alot of joy. I can put it down to a couple of points.

1. Extreme delay. Like what the hell is up with that. There is like a 3-4 second delay from when you hit an enemy and they take damage and get affected by it. Its really frustrating. Was this how the original was? And even if it was you cant even excuse it with being old as ive never played a game no matter how old having this delay. Surely since its a remake they could have fixed it. How could they think in their heads that this was good?
  2. Hit rate. Another what the hell thing. You miss like 50% atleast of your physical attacks. First i only had this problem with bosses which was probably closer to 80% but now even random mobs i miss like 50% of all attacks. I defeat every monster i come across. I really feel like i shouldnt be underleveled unless you are expected to grind a bunch.
These two are my biggest problems but there are some more. Friendly AI can be frustrating atleast early on as they keep dying. But its better now. Magic is very OP. Every boss is basically the same just spamming magic, especially since barely any physical attacks will hit them anyway.

Also the game feels very empty. Like barely any treasure chests or stuff. I try explore many optional areas but they are just dead ends sometimes with monsters. Im about 8 hours in ight now. Maybe it will get better. But i doubt so. The gameplay is just so rough and i dont get how you could release the game like this. Especially with the delay when you attack enemies. And the hit rate. Its just bad design. And i know its an old game but even then its not really excusable. Ive never played a jrpg no matter how old with these to problems.

User Info: badboy

badboy
5 months ago#2
I actually like the delay. I am not a big fan of button mashing so this is nice. Hit and dodge then hit again. Also how about switching between characters instead of waiting? You can do that too. The delay is an adoption of the "Active Time Battle" system but in an action-oriented form instead of turn-based. ATB was introduced two years earlier with Final Fantasy IV.

Hit rate I agree, it is too much missing. I finished the original game, I don't remember missing this often but I could be wrong.

AI has some options here, I think none existed in the previous game. Generally speaking, the game is quite easy.

User Info: kingbob808

kingbob808
5 months ago#3
Are you waiting for your meter to be charged to 100% before striking? And for the enemy knockback animation to end?
Spoilers above
PoGo Friend Code 8822 3437 8149

dompa
5 months ago#4
badboy posted...
I actually like the delay. I am not a big fan of button mashing so this is nice. Hit and dodge then hit again. Also how about switching between characters instead of waiting? You can do that too. The delay is an adoption of the "Active Time Battle" system but in an action-oriented form instead of turn-based. ATB was introduced two years earlier with Final Fantasy IV.

Hit rate I agree, it is too much missing. I finished the original game, I don't remember missing this often but I could be wrong.

AI has some options here, I think none existed in the previous game. Generally speaking, the game is quite easy.
I think we are talking about a different delay. Im not concerned about that meter at the bottom. I get that and have no problem with it. I always wait til its 100% and attack and then i use shortcuts with magics instead of changing characters. The delay comes when im attacking the enemy. There's seems to de some sort of delay when it registers the hit and the enemy recoils.

Yeah the game is easy now. I only had problems at the beginning when i just recruited the two female characters. They constantly ran around and got themselves killed. Get stuck in places. The tactics option don't make much difference. Not that they even explain what the different levels mean in that menu. Unless i have just missed it.

Still having problem with the hit rate.And now i can safely say its not really problems with the levels because ive been farming some rare drop items and gained tons of levels and still the hit rate is awful. Like seriously did they even test the game out before releasing it? If they did yu got to wonder how they thought this was ok.

kingbob808 posted...
Are you waiting for your meter to be charged to 100% before striking? And for the enemy knockback animation to end?
Yeah i always wait for it to charge 100%. The knockback animations might make enemies immune to damage at some times afterwards. Sometimes though i will attack them even when they are down but there is a major delay before that damage registers. That is the few times it even hits.

I mean i'm now at pure lands and this is becoming less and less of an issue sure. Mostly because i have access to pretty much unlimited mana with high MP and walnuts.

Overall i think im enjoying the game the longer i have advanced through the story but but the delay and hit rate drags it down a bit to much unfortunately.

dompa
5 months ago#5
Probably shouldn't have said it was easy. Seems to be some insane difficulty spike at pure lands. Prim and Pop died almost instantly as i set foot in there.

dompa
5 months ago#6
Ok finished the game and have to say in the end i did enjoy it. It got better and better. Even the combat as i leveld up and stuff. Still kinda rough and way to bad hit rate still. Really liked the music, but def prefered the new. I've heard alot of people saying they butchered the originals soundtrack. Ofcourse i don't have a history of playing this when i was younger and therefore has some more nostalgic connection but don't see what is bad about the new one. I played with both and preferred the newly arranged although both were great. Especially the main theme, town music and mana fortress music.

Story had its fun bits especially the dialogue. Hope for more mana content coming from square. I think i read there's one more of these games other than this and Trials.
  1. Boards
  2. Secret of Mana
  3. Man this games makes it hard to like
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A