• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Secret of Mana
  3. Gameplay thoughts......

User Info: jjhanzely

jjhanzely
1 year ago#1
I saw the review posted in this forum. I like the fact that Secret of Mana was remade for current consoles. I enjoyed that game.......but you'd think they would actually IMPROVE some of the gameplay mechanics, instead of keeping them the same, or in some cases, making them worse.

Only 2 spell shortcuts. Really? You think only one attack spell and one assist spell are all you need? I hate having to go through the menu to cast spells.....in an ACTION RPG game. That should be reserved for Turn-Based games. It's really annoying when you Are leveling up your magic.

Next........WHY have a Hit rating of 90% if your actual TRUE accuracy is 25%? What's the point of that stat? Did they give enemies stupidly high evasion? Why have a stupidly high evasion of you own? These don't make any sense what-so-ever. If my hit rate says 90%....it pretty damn well SHOULD be 90%....NOT 25%...or less.

You are severely limited on MP until you start hitting level 40+, then your girls(?) start getting more MP per level. Is that to keep you from using magic in the first half of the game? Before you all say it, 1000 GP for Fairy Walnuts is not worth restoring 15 MP.....when the Item NATURALLY recovers 50 MP. That is a total wast of GP.
They are Level 24....but have only 18 MP. Nice.........

Charging attacks take WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long, too. There's no point in having that system if almost nobody's going to use it. Especially, after charging for 10+ seconds......it MISSES the damn target.

Those are really the only big things I have a gripe with. Overall, they could've improved the gameplay, while still being faithful to the original.

User Info: Bob the Almighty

Bob the Almighty
1 year ago#2
I think the Vita was the target hardware and (for whatever reason) Sony didn’t include L2 and R2 on the Vita. I think they developed for the Vita and then ported it to the PS4 with the least amount of effort involved. Would have been a lot better with four shortcut buttons... that was one of my main complaints about the PS4 version.

I didn’t have problem with the MP personally. Every time they level up their HP and MP get restored and you can hold up to 12 Fairie Walnuts now. Yeah it takes a bit to get above 50 total MP and so using a Fairie Walnut to restore 20 or so MP is a bit of a waste but gold is easy to come by in the this game. I never ran low on it.
The villagers called him 'God's Savior' and his weapon they called 'Vampire Killer.'
Ah, Gandolfi, how that would make you smile.

jjhanzely
1 year ago#3
Bob the Almighty posted...

I didn’t have problem with the MP personally. Every time they level up their HP and MP get restored and you can hold up to 12 Fairie Walnuts now. Yeah it takes a bit to get above 50 total MP and so using a Fairie Walnut to restore 20 or so MP is a bit of a waste but gold is easy to come by in the this game. I never ran low on it.

True....but it still stinks when you get to an area where half the enemies can ONLY be damaged with magic.....and then, constantly running out of MP, then running out of Fairy Walnuts. It may have been this way in the original, too, but you'd think if they pulled that, they would be a bit more generous with the MP.

Those Archer guys rapid-fire full damage attacks at you.... but you can't do the same. Then you have enemies rapid-spamming spells at you, too....keeping you in "Frozen-Lock" for a bit....while you take damage.......and they have at least 3x the MP you do.

There is also the issue where your "Hit %" says 85%.....but you only land 1 out of 8-10 attacks? Either another poster was right, in another thread, about Square-Enix screwing up the Hit stat....or they gave enemies a HUGE spike in Evasion.

I am also noticing now........that my evasion says 85%.....but I am getting hit with physical attacks 9 out of 10 times. Square-Enix may have screwed THAT up, too, like with the "Hit %" stat...or gave enemies 150%+ Hit rate. I don't think is was like this in the original game.

This is clearly my major grip.....not being able to hit enemies with standard attacks. Can't rely on spells, since there is an extremely low MP count to be able to......at least until you start hitting Lv. 60+.

These are NORMAL enemies I'm talking about. You know there is a major issue when bosses are easier to take down than normal enemies are.

User Info: FooFightersFan

FooFightersFan
10 months ago#4
I agree with most of your critiques. None of them really bothered me because it was basically the same as the original game and theoretically they could have made it worse. The Chobin hoods, though, man...I played the game when it came out and kept dying there. I got so pissed I quit the game for six months before finally coming back to it.

jjhanzely
10 months ago#5
FooFightersFan posted...
I agree with most of your critiques. None of them really bothered me because it was basically the same as the original game and theoretically they could have made it worse. The Chobin hoods, though, man...I played the game when it came out and kept dying there. I got so pissed I quit the game for six months before finally coming back to it.
Oh, yea. The Forest where there are hoards of them shooting at you from behind barriers....or areas where you need a long range weapon to hit them. There was another area where it was similar.....but I can't remember, The Fire Shrine maybe? That really sucked............allies died a few times, and I almost died getting a game over a few times...all because they rapid fire at you from areas where it's hard to get to them.
  1. Boards
  2. Secret of Mana
  3. Gameplay thoughts......
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A