• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Secret of Mana
  3. Recommended magic levels at this point in the game?

User Info: Loonoe

Loonoe
1 month ago#1
The girl is about to hit level 3 on Undine and almost level 1 on Sylphid, Gnome and Salamando unused. The sprite is level 1 with Gnome and level 2 with Undine, Sylphid and Salamando unused.

I'm in the Ice Country, about to do the Ice Palace I guess, all three characters are level 24.

It feels like I never use magic unless I have to, it doesn't feel that fluid to use and since you don't really have a lot of MP, it feels like a waste unless I use it in sticky situations. Problem being that if I only use it in stickt situations, it won't be much help as it will be too weak.

I've never played Secret of Mana before so I'm not sure if I should grind magic or just let it be.
I'm a veteran even though I'm never on here, fantastic.

User Info: Riversider

Riversider
1 month ago#2
The Wind Palace is a great place to level magic for the girl, since you have your weapons out (more magic xp) and free healing nearby (sprite's relative). As for recommended levels...well...

Girl
Undine: high as you can get, Cure Water is useful (the other two spells are nearly useless though)
Gnome: preference, Stone Saber is really powerful and more duration for it is always nice
Sylphid: forget it. Thunder Saber doesn't do anything, enemies die too fast for the balloon to be useful and Analyzer doesn't tell you anything you'd actually want to know
Salamando: preference, Flame Saber is really nice to use, due to the Burn status effect. Other two spells are useless, leave attack magic to the Sprite

Sprite
Undine: spells are cheap and the HP drain move is nice to keep Sprite alive in a pinch (just don't drain evil type monsters, they turn the spell back on you)
Gnome: Rock Slide is a nice cheap spell, Gem Missile and Slow Down are useless
Sylphid: Wind Blast is nice and cheap, other two spells are a waste of MP
Salamando: use Fireball if you have to, forget the two other spells

If you never really use attack magic, that is ok. However, there may be bosses where you have to use it.
With or without faith, there are good people who do good things and evil people who do evil things. But for good people to do evil things? That takes religion.

User Info: bigtiggie23

bigtiggie23
1 month ago#3
I'm the kind of player that kept the most useful magic elementals as high as they could currently go. This included all the sprite's elementals and Undine and Lumina for the girl. Unless you want the trophy, then you have to max them all.
Seeking revenge for being stood up at Backlash 2006, Shawn Michaels challenged God to a hair vs hair match...and lost.

User Info: Chemazan

Chemazan
1 month ago#4
All you need is stone saber, moon energy and LVL 4+ dryad on both casters

Don't waste MP on healing, use items

User Info: taervek

taervek
1 month ago#5
Girl:
Riversider posted...
Sylphid: forget it. Thunder Saber doesn't do anything, enemies die too fast for the balloon to be useful and Analyzer doesn't tell you anything you'd actually want to know

Disagree on Analyzer, if you're on your first time through. It tells weaknesses, which while often obvious, they aren't always. That said, you don't have to level it up for that.
Riversider posted...
Salamando: preference, Flame Saber is really nice to use, due to the Burn status effect. Other two spells are useless, leave attack magic to the Sprite

Unless the Sprite runs out of MP, before getting Luna. Also, a little extra damage can be a good thing, even if she isn't as skilled at attack magic as the Sprite.

Sprite:
Riversider posted...
Gnome: Rock Slide is a nice cheap spell, Gem Missile and Slow Down are useless

Gem Missile can extend fights, getting the Sprite's MP to last longer, while causing about the same ratio of damage/MP. This can give the other two time to land physical hits.
Riversider posted...
Salamando: use Fireball if you have to, forget the two other spells

TC is approaching the Ice Temple, where Salamando dominates. That said, you may be through it, by now.

I am of the opinion that it is good to keep your magic at good levels. It's been a while, but I think I level it up to max at 3 seeds (level 3), 5 seeds (level 5), 7, and 8. Might be 3, 4, 7, 8.

Also, magic is a lot easier to use (and flows better) if you use the shortcuts. IIRC, you can assign one spell to L1 and one to R1, by pushing that button on the spell in the menu.
No pixels were harmed in the creation of this message. Thousands of electrons, though, were horribly inconvenienced.

User Info: Loonoe

Loonoe
1 month ago#6
Yeah I've made it to the Mana Palace and still haven't had much use for any magic except for making bossfights go faster and healing. Probably just gonna grind every elemental to max level before finishing the game.
I'm a veteran even though I'm never on here, fantastic.
  1. Boards
  2. Secret of Mana
  3. Recommended magic levels at this point in the game?
  • Topic Archived