• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon
  3. Is there a reason why Ash's Pikachu never evolved? *Spoilers?*

User Info: Just_a_loser

Just_a_loser
5 years ago#1
I started watching a couple episodes of the original show on Netflix. I stopped watching it years back (after the first movie with Mew/Mewtwo), and haven't really followed Pokemon since.

But after watching the first few episodes, I noticed the first Pokemon he ever caught, Caterpie, went through its entire evolutionary scale to become a Butterfee within two episodes. And while I'm not too far in yet, I recall Ash later on gets a Charmander that becomes a Charizard.

And I googled it and found out that his Pikachu never became a Raichu.

But why? What is stopping him? I have to assume his Pikachu has more battle XP than any other Pokemon in Ash's possession. Why hasn't he evolved?

I know it's probably as simple as the makers of the show like Pikachu too much to see him transform, I'm just curious if it was ever regarded in the story.

User Info: EricDent1

EricDent1
5 years ago#2
Well considering that Pikachu can't evolve without a thunderstone even in the game, unlike those other Pokemon that evolve when they level up.
Plus Pikachu is the mascot of the entire series.
Not to mention that Ash's Pikachu is technically still a wild Pokemon (he never caught or had him in a Pokeball).
Toho's Godzilla Will Live Forever!
3DS FC: 3668-7961-6586 TSV: 0055

User Info: pokedude900

pokedude900
5 years ago#3
Simple. Pikachu can't evolve without a Thunderstone, and it's rejected the offer several times. The first of which is after arriving at the third gym.

EricDent1 posted...
Not to mention that Ash's Pikachu is technically still a wild Pokemon (he never caught or had him in a Pokeball).

Please go back and watch the first episode.
http://i.imgur.com/V27piel.jpg http://i.imgur.com/O35Ywbc.jpg

User Info: kingdrake2

kingdrake2
5 years ago#4
spoilers....

Against surge
against that trainer with the pikachu line who wanted pikachu if he won in a battle.

the only two times in the series.
current PSN platinums: 58#
currently playing: final fantasy X-2 (chapter 5 and endgame).

User Info: Aysander

Aysander
5 years ago#5
Because Ash's pikachu doesn't want to evolve. It's had like three or so chances where it could have, probably should have, but said no.

Ash's Pikachu is TECHNICALLY the main character, but Ash is his human voice box since he can't talk. That's why Pikachu always keeps it's power low in between generations, until a "f*** that, tired of this junk" moment happens -- which has been so often in XY
Legendia R please!
PSN - Kurei Hitaka (Need peeps to play Hollow Fragment with...and eventually Lost Song :/)

Just_a_loser
5 years ago#6
Yeah, I've gotten a bit further in, and as was said, he had the chance to evolve for his face off against a Raichu.

While I can understand the reason this time, I'm mildly curious how BS the reasonings are for the later chances.

User Info: spikethedevil

spikethedevil
5 years ago#7
He doesn't want to evolve its as simple as that.

And he should of evolved at hitting the stone with his tail.
A garbage pod!? It's a smegging garbage pod!

User Info: tvmasterdoodles

tvmasterdoodles
5 years ago#8
I'd jam a Thundestone into his eye socket.
I'm having an uncommonly hard time picturing a worse fate than being your friend.

Just_a_loser
5 years ago#9
Kind of disappointed with how few Pokemon Ash has come by up to this point.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ash_Ketchum

Most of them I don't recognize. I stopped following during the time the second generation set came out, and apparently now there has been 6.

But the show hyped up Ash as wanting to become the best Pokemon Master ever.

But he only has had, what, 78 species? Out of over 700? I figured he'd have had way more than that by now, maybe even the first generation at least.

And then quite a few of them never evolved....Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Totodile, Squirtle, etc. Like I remember thinking Blastoise was such a badass that he needed to evolve that Squirtle ASAP.

And still no really rare badasses like Moltres, Zapdos, Mew, etc.

Just....eh...

User Info: FriedScootaloo

FriedScootaloo
5 years ago#10
Just_a_loser posted...
But the show hyped up Ash as wanting to become the best Pokemon Master ever.

Yeah, remember his speech from the first episode?

"Spearows! Do you know who I am? I'm Ash, from the town of Pallet. I'm destined to be the world's number one Pokémon master! I can't be defeated by the likes of you. I'm going to capture and defeat you all! COME AND GET ME!!!"
Scootaloo what's the matter with you, you don't act like the other chickens do.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon
  3. Is there a reason why Ash's Pikachu never evolved? *Spoilers?*
  • Topic Archived