You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Sims 4
  3. What Do You Enjoy Most About the Sims?

User Info: SiegvonWal

SiegvonWal
4 months ago#1
I figured this might stimulate some activity, so I made the thread.

Originally a poll, but only 10 slots was pretty restrictive since I wanted combinations like "Architecture + Sim-living + Sim-making" etc. etc. for all (four listed) combinations (of what I just mentioned plus "Messing Around/Experimentation").

Basically, what broad areas of the game do you most enjoy?

For me, since I've been a fan since the original Sims for Console, mainly the 9-5 and skill building as well as architecture. Since the Sims 3 (also console in my case) expanded what I could do to including things like painting more than just the same handful of pictures (and even hanging them around the house and/or holding them until the appreciate in value), write books, partner up with businesses, and even some light management of them once at the top. Not to mention being able to go on dates to public venues and disappear into rabbit holes and the expanded building options...

The Sims 4 for console really expanded the franchise (as far as console players are concerned anyway) since it sacrificed nothing from its original PC release AND features the best sim-maker that allows for all kinds of creativity, from creating the hottest things ever conceived to freak-shows and just about everything in between. Not to mention, a lot of tools to build with (although the initial PC release for Sims 4 was lacking from what I can tell, to say the least, the PS4 version had the most visible things missing on release like toddlers, pools, basements, etc. etc.) and full access to DLC, which I've generally enjoyed as the Sims 4 is the first Sims I've played that can potentially have Seasons, business management, as well as base-game content like creating community lots that aren't just rabbit holes.

Overall, I'm inclined to say "just about everything" since I originally fell in love with the core experience of going from nobody bachelor to highly successful family man, but I also enjoy all the varied side things a player can do as of the Sims 4 (from painting to writing to farming to... well, a whole lot of things lol! I've only done the three side activities I just mentioned, but I also know fishing, rock collecting, etc. are things and I'm eager to try some of them) as well as making hot women, hot neighborhoods, and hot houses/castles/palaces/hovels.

So, what about YOU?

User Info: Lemonsnatch

Lemonsnatch
4 months ago#2
Creating Sims for me. Character creations/customization is a big factor for me when buying games. Almost all of the few games I got have creation/customization. I looove making Sims mostly based on celebs, cartoons or other video game char. IMO designs better than 3, played 3 in console as well so there's no mod or cc and I find them so ugly in 3 LOL! I sucked at the house making part so thank goodness for premade lots in the library but I enjoy interior decorating. The gameplay is so-so for me, there's no challenge the game is waaay to easy my Sims could just stay in their houses and they'll live. I wish they made it like we are forced to leave our houses like maybe buying ingredient so you can cook certain dish etc. Like in Sims Social you have to look for materials, do a task, visit other Sims to get something. Even those DLC gamepacks that's supposed to have puzzle doesn't actually give puzzles. They even removed ideal moodlets for carreers! I don't know if players asked for that, the game is easy enough as it is.

SiegvonWal
4 months ago#3
Lemonsnatch posted...
Creating Sims for me. Character creations/customization is a big factor for me when buying games. Almost all of the few games I got have creation/customization. I looove making Sims mostly based on celebs, cartoons or other video game char. IMO designs better than 3, played 3 in console as well so there's no mod or cc and I find them so ugly in 3 LOL! I sucked at the house making part so thank goodness for premade lots in the library but I enjoy interior decorating. The gameplay is so-so for me, there's no challenge the game is waaay to easy my Sims could just stay in their houses and they'll live. I wish they made it like we are forced to leave our houses like maybe buying ingredient so you can cook certain dish etc. Like in Sims Social you have to look for materials, do a task, visit other Sims to get something. Even those DLC gamepacks that's supposed to have puzzle doesn't actually give puzzles. They even removed ideal moodlets for carreers! I don't know if players asked for that, the game is easy enough as it is.

Are you sure about that last part? I barely check, but I'm pretty sure there's an ideal emotional state for every career still (even if I largely ignore it).

I don't think there's ever been "challenge" in the Sims unless you give yourself one, like being a single dad or some wacky Hollywood crap, but I do miss how in the Sims 1 for console the furniture (mostly) didn't restore a need 100% but rather something like 70-80% based on the quality of the object. So, you could never be 100% Fun unless you were playing an awesome gaming rig or Woohooing since crappy TVs and amateur guitar playing doesn't quite match up lol.

I think the Sims 4 did messes and inconveniences better than 3 (console) since stuff actually breaks on a regular basis and messes actually look messy lol. But I think Sims 1 still did that best since houses actually looked like pigsties if you or a maid didn't clean up on a daily basis.

SiegvonWal
4 months ago#4
Damn, looks like "ideal mood" is gone! Don't know why, it might not have meant much but I'm curious how the game will be balanced as a result now.

The UI looks different, and notably it no longer says how many hours till next work shift when I hover over the career button. That's annoying, since I usually pin the Needs.

User Info: DarkDoc

DarkDoc
4 months ago#5
I started with Sims 1 on console, a long time after it was released. At the time I didn't spend very long on Sim creation or house building. I was more into the living-the-life aspect.

I got Sims 2 shortly after, and liked it for similar reasons. Time management and skill building too.

Think I played Urbz for a short while, before taking a break and then moving on to Sims 4.

My girlfriend is more into Sim creation and is very big into house design. Plus she does the jungle missions. She plays on PC, and prefers S3 over S4.
(edited 4 months ago)

User Info: TheCrimsonEmo

TheCrimsonEmo
4 months ago#6
I tend to start off recreating celebrities I idolise and just living their life for a bit, just for the fantasy of it, then I go into recreating characters and sets from my favorite movies and Tv shows like Family guy, the simpsons, the incredibles, king of the hill, etc just to see them come to life, then I move onto favorite youtubers and eventually whatever random celebrities or funny characters I can think of and throw them all in there.
Chairman mao, kim il sung, steve urkel, elliot rodger, margaret thatcher, walt disney, borat, saddam hussain, etc. ...hell even will wright himself, how funny would that be?

It's just endless fun seeing all these real life celebrities, tv personalities and fictional characters co existing in this community you invented and the sims 4 does it better than any other game before it.
It's just such a huge shame the game limits how many sims you can have in total.
I really wanna go all out with it!
https://www.youtube.com/user/SamThompsonX http://thecrimsonemo.deviantart.com/
Xbox/PSN & Steam Gamertag - The Crimson Emo/TheCrimsonEmo

SiegvonWal
4 months ago#7
TheCrimsonEmo posted...

It's just endless fun seeing all these real life celebrities, tv personalities and fictional characters co existing in this community you invented and the sims 4 does it better than any other game before it.
It's just such a huge shame the game limits how many sims you can have in total.
I really wanna go all out with it!

LOL I know what you mean! Except, in my case, I mostly recreate video game characters (such as Ayane and Kasumi, and therefore by "necessity" their parents and brother, from Dead or Alive) and characters from history-based games like Nobunaga's Ambition and Dynasty Warriors (so I got the Ashikaga Clan, Hosokawa Clan, and probably will have guys like Cao Cao and Yuan Shao once I get around to it).

It's rather time consuming though (trying to realistically recreate video game characters AND build them a nice place to live) so I haven't had any problems in keeping a maximum population of 150 (or 200? I forget the exact "recommended" number). However, oddly enough, it says the population is only 28 even though I counted closer to 35 sims living in worlds and about 60-70 total if I count out-of-world sims, so I think the population counter is a bit broken lol.

TheCrimsonEmo
4 months ago#8
From what I understand the maximum recommended limit is 150 but you can go as high as 200 if you want to take the risk.
The trade off is it does take a slightly noticeable toll on performance so only do it if you're willing to make that sacrifice.
If you go past that mark sims in the world start slowly getting deleted so newer randomly generated sims can eventually pop in but I don't know if having aging turned off affects any of that.

Having Sims saved to your favorite households stops them from getting deleted but I think even that has it's limits.

Personally I want to eventually upgrade a ps4 pro just to help this game along a little bit. I love the game but the long loading screens can drive me nuts at times.

SiegvonWal
4 months ago#9
TheCrimsonEmo posted...
From what I understand the maximum recommended limit is 150 but you can go as high as 200 if you want to take the risk.
The trade off is it does take a slightly noticeable toll on performance so only do it if you're willing to make that sacrifice.

From what I read on PC forums, the hard cap is 575 if I set it to unlimited lol and for THEM it apparently doesn't make much of a difference. For us peasants, however, well... I'm not about to try it lol.

If you go past that mark sims in the world start slowly getting deleted so newer randomly generated sims can eventually pop in but I don't know if having aging turned off affects any of that.
Considering a portion of randomly generated sims come out old, stopping aging will definitely affect it since otherwise they'd die as quickly as they appeared and be replaced by news.

After I got Seasons, I decided to "slow" the aging process by only having sims age in Winter (with 28 day months/seasons, taking a cue from Harvest Moon although I wish seasons/months had 30/31 days as not every month is February lol) and I've noticed far less new randos coming into and going out of existence.

Having Sims saved to your favorite households stops them from getting deleted but I think even that has it's limits.
Housing them, whenever possible, also appears to have the same effect. Especially if they don't die of old age.
Personally I want to eventually upgrade a ps4 pro just to help this game along a little bit. I love the game but the long loading screens can drive me nuts at times.
I think you'll be disappointed since they (from what i recall reading in the past) have the same problems we do so I assume Sims 4 (like many PS4 games) isn't optimized to take advantage of the PS4 Pro's new stuff and so you'll probably barely notice a difference.

I don't plan on upgrading to a PS4 Pro until PS5's a thing lol, mainly to save money and also to have a back-up Playstation 4 for the distant future.

From what I can tell, the longest loading screens are starting up the game and going into the first household. It quickens up after that, especially with repeated travel, but it's worth noting that even PC players have to wait at least 15 seconds my information's dated (based on LGR's recording of it from 2015-ish) so perhaps Maxis has fixed it or the average PC gamer has a computer perfectly capable of running/playing the Sims 4 with minimal loading.

Also, patches appear to have unpredictable effects on the loading and all that since I've noticed new bugs since I started playing last Thursday (namely people inviting me to go to one place, only to actually go to another, and not being able to unclick beards/facial hair, as well as UI bugs that occasionally happen) as well as longer loading times than I remember (from last I played being late last year).

TheCrimsonEmo
4 months ago#10
Really? The pro can't even speed up the loading a bit?
What... what is the point of this device? Why is it so expensive when it can do so little??
  1. Boards
  2. The Sims 4
  3. What Do You Enjoy Most About the Sims?