• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
  3. Am I the only one who DIDN'T like the sequels?

User Info: Zack_Attackv1

Zack_Attackv1
2 years ago#11
What the f*** ever.
http://i.imgur.com/3lnalni.jpg

User Info: benjanime

benjanime
2 years ago#12
The whole flying vehicle transportation thing for Jak II really hurt the experience for me, mainly because dodging other ones when on a timed mission just made it all the more frustrating. And that mission where you have to escape the docks with Krimzon guards following you can suck it.

Jak 3 was alright, but the conclusion just felt like it could've been better. As for Jak X Racing? Pass.

User Info: LightEcoSage

LightEcoSage
2 years ago#13
benjanime

The whole flying vehicle transportation thing for Jak II really hurt the experience for me, mainly because dodging other ones when on a timed mission just made it all the more frustrating. And that mission where you have to escape the docks with Krimzon guards following you can suck it.

Jak 3 was alright, but the conclusion just felt like it could've been better. As for Jak X Racing? Pass.

There weren't enough time missions to write off as a complaint strong enough to dislike the game. Ok, one bad level, which isn't even long. Every game has that one obnoxious section.

The conclusion could have been better, but it still pretty great. Mind you that ending was not meant to wrap up the series, more games were planned to be developed.

Pass on one of the best racing games of the 6th gen? You're the one missing out, and you'd be foolish to pass on the game both before playing it and/or because you dislike the buggy system from Jak 3. Jak X greatly refined the buggy formula in Jak 3.

Fun Fact: The buggy system in Jak 3 is fine for the most part. It's only a select few vehicles that have that single handling issue. Story-related wise, only 2/5 of the vehicles, which sadly includes Jak's main/go-to vehicle, have annoying handling controls.
Nearly the greatest thing to ever happen - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7Wm-zyOc8

User Info: ShinWesker

ShinWesker
2 years ago#14
I think the whole series is just ok... they were never good to begin with. Ratchet,spyro (the first ones) and crash (1 to 3) were always better. Jak 2 is the best but that's not saying much. Jak 3 is awful.

benjanime
2 years ago#15
Just a few transport missions doesn't deny the fact that you could die time and time again from crashing. You can defend it all you want but I HATED it.

I dunno, I just found Crash Team Racing to be the better racer out of the Naughty Dog games. If you like Jak X, fine.

Speaking of, why couldn't the motivation for Jak and friends to race make more sense? I mean come on, poisoning? why not neck collars that explode, or something better?

User Info: Hyaku_Man

Hyaku_Man
2 years ago#16
What's the problem with poison?

benjanime
2 years ago#17
Well I mean, wouldn't the effects start to kick in midway through the tournament? Just going for realism here.

LightEcoSage
2 years ago#18
ShinWesker posted...
I think the whole series is just ok... they were never good to begin with. Ratchet,spyro (the first ones) and crash (1 to 3) were always better. Jak 2 is the best but that's not saying much. Jak 3 is awful.

Crash 1-3 wasnt even better than JaDTPL. And at least JaD innovated (in several areas), set a standard, and has more replayvalue than Crash. There is no way in hell any rational person can claim Crash was better than JaD. JaD took the Crash formula, revamped it and made a masterpiece out of it. TLOU did the same after Uncharted BUT in a partially backwards way, it made sacrafices and got rid of several mechanics. Jak went forward entirely.

Crash is overrated and its fanbase is cancerous, especially in modern times when its desin flaws should be more apparent. Claiming this old ass, simplistic as hell platformer where all you do is run straight and hit boxes, with no story and did not innovate at all from its inspiration is better than a series that pushed technology and innovated. Jak is completely superior to Crash. So disrespectful, ignorant, and irrational for people to say the entire Crash series is better than the devs next gen series after it when it was in-fact good Even Sly Cooper 1 is better than Crash.

It's funny how this is coming from a person who though the R&C Trilogy was good. The whole Ratchet Trilogy has apparent flaws, especially R&C2.

benjanime posted...
Just a few transport missions doesn't deny the fact that you could die time and time again from crashing. You can defend it all you want but I HATED it.

I dunno, I just found Crash Team Racing to be the better racer out of the Naughty Dog games. If you like Jak X, fine.

Speaking of, why couldn't the motivation for Jak and friends to race make more sense? I mean come on, poisoning? why not neck collars that explode, or something better?

You're being melodramatic. If you simply utilize the hover zone feature, you wouldn't crash a lot at all. Only a fool trys to stay in the high zone. You should only go in high zone to avoid guards on ground. If you're literally about to crash into a vehicle, switching hover zones saves you. The driving complaints in Jak are so overrated and absurd, especially since driver-NPCs only occupy 1/2 zones.

CTR is somehow better when JX gives you a bigger cast of driveable characters, a better story, more gameplay variety, more beautiful landscapes, online-play, split-screen play (unless CTR had this to) split-screen online-play, car customization (color and parts wise), more game modes, more content, a better protagonist, better character interactions, better music, and I can go on?

People prefer Crash for one simple fact alone... kart racer. No matter what else JX does better than CTR, this sole concept is the determining factor to what game you like most. But your judgment is pretty foolish when you claim the game you prefer is better just because you enjoy it more. JX isnt a kart racer, and it's ok if you dont like it, but no-one should be calling it an inferior kart racer when its not a kr to begin with. It has sim elements and if you don't like it, accept it and move on, not calling it a bad "kr" because it doesnt play the way you think a kart racer should. Lastly, considering our childhoods, ofc a non-full kr game is not going to appeal to us, because sim racers have complexity to it. As kids we loved the casual and simple-easy to play kart racers more.

The collar point is more stupid since you'd have to design collars on all the char-models in gameplay and cutscenes. It'd interfere with the cool and completely new character designs (aside from Samos/Keira). Additionally, it'd be just weird to look at, a nuissance. The poison concept ITSELF is fine, it's the execution of it that matters. Looking at the execution, it was handled well actually.
Nearly the greatest thing to ever happen - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7Wm-zyOc8

benjanime
2 years ago#19
Yeah but if I lower the vehicle I just end up pissing off the Krimzon guards and then them destroying the vehicle becomes a secondary frustration because often times I can never time it soon enough to jump to another vehicle. Sometimes I make it, sometimes I don't and it's death and I gotta start all over because of the game's stupid lack of checkpoints.

I only prefer CTR because it's an easier experience, and yes I'm the casual type.

Meh, well if you like the characters handling poison like it was nothing then I'm not holding anything against you.

LightEcoSage
2 years ago#20
benjanime posted...

Yeah but if I lower the vehicle I just end up pissing off the Krimzon guards and then them destroying the vehicle becomes a secondary frustration because often times I can never time it soon enough to jump to another vehicle. Sometimes I make it, sometimes I don't and it's death and I gotta start all over because of the game's stupid lack of checkpoints.

I only prefer CTR because it's an easier experience, and yes I'm the casual type.

Meh, well if you like the characters handling poison like it was nothing then I'm not holding anything against you.

Ok so I would normally reply in order, but that CTR statement has proven to explain some of your issues with JII, even though gaming started out hard. So many classics on the 80s-90s consoles were hard.

Anyways.. you're making it sound like the Krimzon Guard are always on the ground. Secondly, you're not suppose to essentially ride on the low zone indefinitely, just when necessary. Literally, a good/skilled/veteran Jak driver drives in both lanes, switching when necessary and logical. Generally, you shouldn't also be dying before being able to switch to another vehicle from your first one. That's just a bad player. Only someone new to the game genre, a real casual, or non-gamer should have that issue. Vehicles are accessible nearly all the time and guards aren't fast, they're average speed. Additionally, you can switch zones the minute you enter a vehicle, and of course there is the fact that KG are restricted to high zones only. Overall JII gives you some leeway. It's truthfully not that hard.

Even with you saying that, Jak X should be ok for you on its default difficulty mode. Hero Mode definitely isn't for you.

Did you ever finish Jak X? If so, you clearly dont remember the story accurately. The poison concept is executed realistically. Not going to spoil for those who haven't played it and look forward to it, but you are forgetting something about the plot.
  1. Boards
  2. Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
  3. Am I the only one who DIDN'T like the sequels?
  • Topic Archived