• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
  3. This is now out, but is there a difference from the PS3 version?

User Info: LightEcoSage

LightEcoSage
2 years ago#31
kasplat360 posted...
The 16x9 is clearly a zoom with a vertical crop. What this means is that when switching between 4x3 and 16x9 there is no stretching, nor do you lose pixels on the left or right of the screen within the cropped area. What you lose are a strip on the top and bottom of the 4x3 image and Jak will appear closer to you since the entire is image is zoomed.

The 16x9 aspect ratio may make certain areas of the game more difficult to navigate as well as make some boss fights more difficult.

Since all "video" story elements in the game are inset to begin with, you won't miss out on any of the video frame.

I haven't fired up the PS3 version to see if they used the same solution, but since that was a remaster, they could have take a different approach.

It is so subtle, it's practically non-existent. That bar you lose is almost naked; the 16:9 looks like a perfect full screen mode of the original ratio (4:3), unlike the PS2V which does use the zoom/stretch feature and it's actually very noticeable.

That second part of your response is just a general fact that applies to any games that gets wider screen support, like the 2D Sonic games and so fourth. (When the image looks as good as it does in JaD, JII, J3 and JX especially, it's completely worth it.) And this would technically apply to the PS3V (on 720p tvs).
Nearly the greatest thing to ever happen - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7Wm-zyOc8

User Info: TatsuSuou

TatsuSuou
2 years ago#32
Can confirm the framerate is really bad during the final boss. I'd say 15fps. Also when I loaded up my save the lift never came back so I was stuck in the boss area until I loaded again (I think it moves once then never comes back). Lastly there's a strange echo in the volcanic area when Jak jumps. Other than that the game ran really well and I didn't find any other bugs.
Feel The Ether
http://backloggery.com/Mayadome

User Info: Rodni_Demental

Rodni_Demental
2 years ago#33
I've played the games to completion probably 10+ times across PS2/PS3 over the years (potentially a fraction of the amount of times I will in the future :P). I realise there are plenty of other people that still have a lot more experience with the games than me, but I mention this for emphasis, as I have to say this may be the most noticeably worst version of Jak 1 for performance (that I've experienced).

Particularly in terms of frame drops (zoomer levels while collecting orb quantities, underwater ruins - blue eco room come to mind). Also, I swear I've never seen so much pop in during this game. In fact, I don't think I've been thrown off by noticeable pop in of environmental objects ever before until this playthrough. I'm likely going to compare some of these aspects next time I go back to the other versions though.

Got a few audio peaks from dark eco boxes and various explosions. Saw a new glitch in the ending cutscene where Jak's character model wasn't in the correct place and the camera position revealed him being 'dragged' across the floor to the correct position. Also the camera cut, for some of Daxter's animation scenes were slightly out of sync so I witnessed him 'teleporting' back to Jak's shoulder. And I experienced the 'Jak invisibility' glitch during the final boss, didn't cause too much trouble but still something that's never happened before.

Finally, it is yet another minor complaint that has been addressed here but it does feel like a downgrade for camera options to be taken away. This would be less of a problem if the original PS2 camera didn't default to what is now 'inverted horizontal'. Where as PS4 version now forces the default as today's 'standard horizontal' which means anyone familiar with the PS2 version is going to have to adapt again. I was actually impressed that PS3 added this change. Like a lot of people I've flipped my horizontal and vertical camera expectations many times due to different standards over the years but let's just say while not game breaking by any stretch; I wouldn't mind the option as muscle memory can be tricky to retrain.

Don't get me wrong, the game is great, and it's interesting to see and experience the game in a slightly new way. Most of what I say is out of appreciation for how well designed the originals are. I bought it day 1 because I want to see the series continue and specifically, so Jak 2 or Jak X will show up sooner. :D

TL;DR
Everything I have to say is nitpicking and I do actually appreciate the improvements we have got that people have discussed. I'm not often so focused on having perfect optimization for a game in all aspects, however it's just perhaps slightly surprising because the original had a pretty high standard for performance that I may have taken for granted so it becomes particularly noticeable when I experience new glitches or performance issues.
My music: myspace.com/jeromebartlesmusic

LightEcoSage
2 years ago#34
Rodni_Demental posted...
I've played the games to completion probably 10+ times across PS2/PS3 over the years (potentially a fraction of the amount of times I will in the future :P). I realise there are plenty of other people that still have a lot more experience with the games than me, but I mention this for emphasis, as I have to say this may be the most noticeably worst version of Jak 1 for performance (that I've experienced).

Particularly in terms of frame drops (zoomer levels while collecting orb quantities, underwater ruins - blue eco room come to mind). Also, I swear I've never seen so much pop in during this game. In fact, I don't think I've been thrown off by noticeable pop in of environmental objects ever before until this playthrough. I'm likely going to compare some of these aspects next time I go back to the other versions though.

Got a few audio peaks from dark eco boxes and various explosions. Saw a new glitch in the ending cutscene where Jak's character model wasn't in the correct place and the camera position revealed him being 'dragged' across the floor to the correct position. Also the camera cut, for some of Daxter's animation scenes were slightly out of sync so I witnessed him 'teleporting' back to Jak's shoulder. And I experienced the 'Jak invisibility' glitch during the final boss, didn't cause too much trouble but still something that's never happened before.

Finally, it is yet another minor complaint that has been addressed here but it does feel like a downgrade for camera options to be taken away. This would be less of a problem if the original PS2 camera didn't default to what is now 'inverted horizontal'. Where as PS4 version now forces the default as today's 'standard horizontal' which means anyone familiar with the PS2 version is going to have to adapt again. I was actually impressed that PS3 added this change. Like a lot of people I've flipped my horizontal and vertical camera expectations many times due to different standards over the years but let's just say while not game breaking by any stretch; I wouldn't mind the option as muscle memory can be tricky to retrain.

Don't get me wrong, the game is great, and it's interesting to see and experience the game in a slightly new way. Most of what I say is out of appreciation for how well designed the originals are. I bought it day 1 because I want to see the series continue and specifically, so Jak 2 or Jak X will show up sooner. :D

TL;DR
Everything I have to say is nitpicking and I do actually appreciate the improvements we have got that people have discussed. I'm not often so focused on having perfect optimization for a game in all aspects, however it's just perhaps slightly surprising because the original had a pretty high standard for performance that I may have taken for granted so it becomes particularly noticeable when I experience new glitches or performance issues.

Play the Vita version.

These are the PS2 Ports. This is an assumption, if this is the case then PS2'sV also has this problem. It would only 'seem' worse because of the resolution increase giving you a better view of the issues. Even going back to test it on PS2 will be difficult because of the 4:3, SD. My point is just can't really call this the worst version when the ogs had this issue to. Same for framedrops. New glitches to the PS4V however should be accounted for.

Yeah, the PS3V added the invert camera option, so PS4V lacking it is understandable. Just so you know, Jak II PS4 will logically have the same camera feature. It wasnt until Jak 3 where they introduced the feature to invert it. This is part of why I thought Jak 3 was the better game on PS2. Coming back to JaD and JII on PS2 was always annoying after J3 came out.
Nearly the greatest thing to ever happen - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7Wm-zyOc8

User Info: Ganjic

Ganjic
2 years ago#35
Simple point regarding loads.

The PS2 version had a feature where Jak would trip if the next area hadn't loaded yet. Not once did he trip during my playthrough on the weekend. Maybe a single moment of clipping but nothing that stood out.

Otherwise this game was always known for seamless transitions and lack of loading so I'm not sure how people are experiencing that now.
PSN: Ganjic420th
"Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza." - Wise Man

LightEcoSage
2 years ago#36
Ganjic posted...
Simple point regarding loads.

The PS2 version had a feature where Jak would trip if the next area hadn't loaded yet. Not once did he trip during my playthrough on the weekend. Maybe a single moment of clipping but nothing that stood out.

Otherwise this game was always known for seamless transitions and lack of loading so I'm not sure how people are experiencing that now.

Can't tell if that's a compliment or complaint.
  1. Boards
  2. Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
  3. This is now out, but is there a difference from the PS3 version?
  • Topic Archived