• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Martial Arts
  3. Being short=advantage at deadlifting?

User Info: Jwilliams8102

Jwilliams8102
9 years ago#1
5'2 150lbs

Deadliting 265 max out and yet i JUST started getting into deadlifts

Just curious if this was average for most lifters

P.S

Bench pressing 1.5 your weight is considered strong but deadlifting 2x your weight is average? (according to most posters on this board)
NFL Team- Jets NBA Team-Lakers
#81 Dustin Keller #24 Kobe Bryant
(message deleted)

User Info: Jwilliams8102

Jwilliams8102
9 years ago#3
wait, what?

I don't follow
NFL Team- Jets NBA Team-Lakers
#81 Dustin Keller #24 Kobe Bryant
(message deleted)

User Info: UndefeatedGOAT

UndefeatedGOAT
9 years ago#5
SkippeR91 posted...
Bodyweight ratios are a poor indicator of strength.

Short people have more muscle at a lower weight

therefore they have inflated bodyweight ratios

the end

at the end of the day, the stronger person is stronger. ie a 350 lb guy lifting 350 lbs is stronger than a 150 lb guy lifting 349 lbs.

But you should still respect BW ratios IMO
http://menversus.com/images/jerseyshores02e01hdtvxv.gif

User Info: Tequilawhatitdo

Tequilawhatitdo
9 years ago#6
It's easier to DL w longer arms.

I'm short and sucked at DLs forever due to horrible form. My grip still kinda sucks.

Dont worry about the advantages/disadvantages of lifting if you're tall or short. Just lift. Nobody is going to have all of the advantages in the world and nobody is going to have all of the disadvantages in the world.

BW ratios is fun to look at some of the time though, man. don't get obsessed with it and never talk **** about your numbers. Be humble. Keep lifting. Keeping lifting for yourself.

User Info: PrettyBoyMarth

PrettyBoyMarth
9 years ago#7
it depends on your body proportions (mainly legs and arm length) than it does height. I know tall guys with shorter arms than they should have and really long legs so it makes deadlift near impossible.
Wind Waker >>> Ocarina of Time. People who agree: 342
Diamond FC: 2450-7390-0341

User Info: BobbyCreek

BobbyCreek
9 years ago#8
Being short is an advantage for practically every exercise. Shorter distance for weight to travel = easier. What the other guy said about a 350 lb guy lifting 350 lb and a 150 lb guy lifting 349 lb can be wrong as well. It's totally depending on how far they are moving the weight, that is the only way you could judge true strength in that scenario. if the short guy is moving the weight a greater distance then he is technically stronger.

User Info: DeliciousPoison

DeliciousPoison
9 years ago#9
^ well said.
I am Jack's smirking revenge.

User Info: FreshDre7

FreshDre7
9 years ago#10
265 lb deadlift isn't too impressive even if you're just starting. I think that's about how much I started out at, but I'm 5'10" and was probably 155 or 160 lbs when I started. I remember I started with low weight when I first started lifting, and as I slowly moved up I finally got to a max of 290 lbs. Idk what my max would have been on the first day because I didn't try it, so I guess I may have been getting stronger over the weeks or however long it took me to get to 300.
"There are some things that you know are impossible, but you must do them anyway!" -Son Goku
  1. Boards
  2. Martial Arts
  3. Being short=advantage at deadlifting?
  • Topic Archived