• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Yoshi's Crafted World
  3. This game obviously had a troubled development... does anyone know the story?

User Info: yodalovesu

yodalovesu
2 months ago#1
It's clear that this game ran into some issues during development. For example:

• Treehouse gameplay two years before launch shows stages and enemies that are completely absent from the finished game. The mood of the gameplay seems a little different as well - more complex and slightly faster paced - and the art design is a little bolder (note the giant windows in the background of the below treehouse demo from around min marker 10:13)
  • That same treehouse gameplay shows the ability to flip back and forth between the foreground and background at any point during the stage
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLud5yoWIQ&t=1157s (check min marker 26:10 for background flipping)
  • A trailer from the same year shows more stages and enemies that didn't make the final cut, as well as focusing on the "flip"ability as a central mechanic, something that is severely downplayed in the final product
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx_C9jJ0AlA
  • The game is completely absent from the following year's E3
I think a lot of speculation can be made about the game's final design decisions when you take the apparently rocky development into consideration. I think the one-song soundtrack, the boring flip-side "find the three dogs" missions, the game's insistence on kicking you out of the level every time you find a craft, and the lack of a big marketing push during the lead-up to release could all be direct results of a scramble to disassemble and re-tool the 2017 Yoshi game into what we finally ended up with in 2019.

My guess is that the flip mechanic was either taking too long to develop (basically designing two stages at once for every stage) and Nintendo needed it to launch by a certain date, or Nintendo stepped in and felt that the gameplay was too complex for the crowd that they were aiming for. I lean a bit more towards the latter, because it's not only the flip mechanic that is absent from the final game, but in the first train stage of that treehouse demo there's also more basic platforming bits (windows that extend in and out of houses, min marker 3:50) and more difficult enemies (cannonball firing shy guys, min marker 5:01) than are included in the entire game of Crafted World.

Has anyone heard the story of this game's development? What happened between 2017 and 2019? Have you noticed anything else about Crafted World's design that you thought didn't make sense and could be a casualty of a rushed and troubled development?

Tagging a few people that seem to have feelings about this game so that this post doesn't die in obscurity: @StephenYap3 @jcgonzmo @vejeta @shadeon_koopa @crimsonsmasher
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: StephenYap3

StephenYap3
2 months ago#2
I really wish I knew the whole scoop behind the development for Yoshi's Crafted World. I haven't seen much of the E3 2017 demo, but the transition between that and the final game is staggering (the 3D areas in boss fights looked cool!) and while its first showing didn't wow me as much as Yoshi's Island and even Yoshi's Woolly World, it still looked appealing in its own right...which is a lot more than I could say for the final version.

Anyways, to kick things off on what I know about the game's behind-the-scenes...

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/04/yoshis_crafted_world_producer_ discusses_the_games_difficulty (Connect the space on this link)

To put it bluntly, the producer stated that the difficulty is lowered so that "everybody can have fun" and considered the searching for Smiley Flowers to be "a challenge in itself".

I could somewhat understand for the latter, but I have to call hogwash on the former. Mellow Mode is there for those people who want an "Easy Mode" of sorts and even then, you have the costumes to further lower the difficulty by a truckton. Even without these two, I never encountered a part in the main story that made me break a sweat (though I would say that for Hidden Hills, but I don't consider having to stay in the air 95% of the time to be a "challenge" of sorts).

https://nintendoeverything.com/good-feel-composer-tomoya-tomita -goes-the-freelance-route-shares-unused-yoshis-woolly-world-music/ (Connect the space on this link)

This composer has composed music for Wario Land: Shake It!, Kirby's Epic Yarn, and Yoshi's Woolly World. Back in January 4, 2017, Tomoya Tomita left Good-Feel to work as a freelance composer while still being able to work with them. Because of this, we have the soundtrack as...what we know it as now, composed by none other than Kazufumi Umeda, who had composed the soundtrack for only one game: Yoshi's Crafted World!

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm10585225/

If that's not enough, Tomoya Tomita himself has been re-tweeting some negative tweets about Crafted World's soundtrack, though whether it's accidental or purposeful has yet to be answered...

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/04/random_yoshis_woolly_world _composer_keeps_sharing_negative_tweets_about_crafted_worlds_soundtrack (Connect the space on this link)

Overall, the only thing I can say about this whole thing is that I am "Perfect KO" levels of disappointed with how Yoshi's Crafted World turned out in the end (at least...as a Yoshi game). The E3 2017 trailer showed so much potential the game had (especially the "flip" mechanic) and though it didn't wow me as much as Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Woolly World (again, I say this), it still looked decent enough for me to even have a curious eye for. As it is right now, it's inexcusable to me and I'd walk an extra mile to say that Yoshi's Story on N64 is better than this.

Either way, hopefully Good-Feel will vastly improve in the next Yoshi game.
"You will be missed, Alpha Dream. You will be missed", my feedback for Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 survey

User Info: yodalovesu

yodalovesu
2 months ago#3
Dang those are some awesome insights @StephenYap3 thanks!!

I never knew about the composer leaving Good Feel and then retweeting the messages criticizing the music in Crafted World. There's definitely a story there!

I just think it's really odd that the only song that's played throughout the entire game is the same one tune that's heard playing in the 2017 E3 demo. Are soundtracks usually completed that early in development? It's like a single placeholder tune somehow ended up becoming the entire soundtrack.

Also the producer saying that he really wanted to focus on making the game easy is pretty telling. I think that lends a little weight to my theory that Nintendo stepped in and tossed out all of Good Feel's world-flipping design to make the gameplay more approachable.

In any case, I'd love to know more and I'd also love to have played that 2017 version of Crafted World. Watching it now is a little frustrating because it looks like it had a ton of potential

StephenYap3 posted...
Either way, hopefully Good-Feel will vastly improve in the next Yoshi game.
I posted about this somewhere else, but I think it's time that Nintendo just completely abandon the Yoshi's Island egg-throwing style of Yoshi games. They've clearly moved away from what made Yoshi's Island so great, but they continue to hold onto the design pillars of that game and it just doesn't work anymore. If Yoshi games are ever going to be great again, they just need to create a brand new style of game that forgets Yoshi's Island ever existed

User Info: Shadeon_Koopa

Shadeon_Koopa
2 months ago#4
Whilst the only Yoshi games I've played are this and Island GBA (Super Mario Advance 3, I believe) and thus lack much knowledge with the series as a whole, I did regardless feel that something was rather 'off' with the final product.
Having watched the above vids just now, the bolder looking stages definitely look better and the difficulty should not have been played down in the way that it did - but most importantly the recycled soundtrack easily killed me from wanting to come back.

But yeah, difficulty. Rather than be presented with more challenging platforming/enemies for players wanting it, one must instead repeat stages at least 5 times over to collect all its flowers. Why souvenir hunting, of all things?

Sadly enough, I actually requested this game as a birthday gift (my birthday being about a week prior to the game's release) out of curiosity, but was left largely disappointed. Not long after, I began playing this brilliant indie named Baba is You, and Crafted World was no more.
'Watch. Remember. Live. This is the Watcher's mission.'
Remember, if your deck ain't broke, don't fix it.

User Info: vejeta

vejeta
2 months ago#5
Yeah I ended up dropping the game and never completing it, which was a shame because I enjoyed the WiiU Yoshi game much more.

The main sticking point for me was locking access to stages behind the flowers, even to this day I still question the design choice, this type of design normally rewards a bonus secret world or something and caught me out, unfortunately.
NNID:Jab_187 3DS:0877-0271-5435 PSN:Jab_187 XBL:Jab 187 z
PC:i7-5820K Hexacore @3.30GHZ, 32G DDR4, 980TI-SLI, Asus PG27UQ G-sync HDR10 4K Steam: Vejeta187

User Info: StephenYap3

StephenYap3
2 months ago#6
yodalovesu posted...
Also the producer saying that he really wanted to focus on making the game easy is pretty telling. I think that lends a little weight to my theory that Nintendo stepped in and tossed out all of Good Feel's world-flipping design to make the gameplay more approachable.
I thought the E3 2017 was already approachable enough, considering the unique idea behind it (that being the world-flipping).

Then again, what does that make the other games like Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival, Metroid Prime: Federation Force, Wario: Master of Disguise, and the Mario Tennis games on 3DS and Wii U?

I posted about this somewhere else, but I think it's time that Nintendo just completely abandon the Yoshi's Island egg-throwing style of Yoshi games. They've clearly moved away from what made Yoshi's Island so great, but they continue to hold onto the design pillars of that game and it just doesn't work anymore. If Yoshi games are ever going to be great again, they just need to create a brand new style of game that forgets Yoshi's Island ever existed
Honestly, I still think the Yoshi's Island formula is still great and I would like for that to continue on into the future. I just think Nintendo needs to retain everything that made that game great and build upon it without making any unnecessary changes (which is what they did for Yoshi's Woolly World).

Dang those are some awesome insights @StephenYap3 thanks!!
No problem :D
"You will be missed, Alpha Dream. You will be missed", my feedback for Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 survey
  1. Boards
  2. Yoshi's Crafted World
  3. This game obviously had a troubled development... does anyone know the story?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A