• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Shield
  3. is Toxtricity really this frail?
Hello All,

I just raised a Toxtricity for Battle Tower/Competitive play and while I am seeing a lot of people online love it as a sweeper I am finding it is too frail and too slow to sweep... Here is my build:

Nature: Adamant with Timid Mint
Item: Throat Spray
EVs: 252 SpAtk, 252 Spe, 4 SpDef
Moves:
Shift Gear
Overdrive
BoomBurst
Sludge Bomb

I noticed that if I don't start with Shift Gear I may be able to survive one hit, but most of the time this pokemon loses half of its HP after one hit even from not very effective moves. What am I missing? Should I reinvest some evs in Def/SpDef for some bulk? I see people online use this mon and its able to take a couple hits.

Oh and yes I already hyper trained its IVs too.

any advice or guidance would be help!
Kyle-3DSFC-3265-6094-4599
Bibarel-Wartortle-frogadier

User Info: Hayato213

Hayato213
6 days ago#2
Well it is a sweeper after all, not a tank. And that move set make no sense, Shift Gear boost Attack and Speed, but overdrive, and Boomburst are special moves, not physical, so having Shift Gear is point less,
Winners don't quit, quitters don't win, those who don't quit and don't win are idiots.
(edited 6 days ago)

User Info: xiaolinpet

xiaolinpet
6 days ago#3
Shift gear is not pointless, it boosts your speed so you can sweep since it's so slow.
Soulsilver FC: 3180-8615-3680
Platinum FC: 1978-3032-3870

User Info: Hayato213

Hayato213
6 days ago#4
xiaolinpet posted...
Shift gear is not pointless, it boosts your speed so you can sweep since it's so slow.

Could just go with like Choice Scarf, but that base speed sucks anyway.
Winners don't quit, quitters don't win, those who don't quit and don't win are idiots.

User Info: np153

np153
6 days ago#5
Hayato213 posted...
Well it is a sweeper after all, not a tank. And that move set make no sense, Shift Gear boost Attack and Speed, but overdrive, and Boomburst are special moves, not physical, so having Shift Gear is point less,

You are wrong. The speed boost alone is invaluable. Yes, toxicity is that frail. You can increase his surviveability drastically by dynamaxing. I recommend using shiftgear, then dynamaxing to sweep.
3ds FC: 4983-5503-4650 (Calvin)
ACNL IGN: Calvin; Ultra Sun IGN: Sunshine C.

User Info: KeybladeKid1127

KeybladeKid1127
6 days ago#6
xiaolinpet posted...

Exactly... I use it for the speed boost then a get a boost from throat spray after one boomburst. But after one shiftgear I'm lucky to survive one hit in battle tower at least...

User Info: Dran1029

Dran1029
6 days ago#7
Or use a baton passer to pass defense boosts. My Alcremie has acid armor for ex. Pass a full acid buff to tox then start your sweep
Switch FC: SW-5534-0138-4516
Playing FF8R, FE3H, Persona5, and PKMN Shield

KeybladeKid1127
6 days ago#8
Dran1029 posted...
Or use a baton passer to pass defense boosts. My Alcremie has acid armor for ex. Pass a full acid buff to tox then start your sweep

I still need to get more of the sweets for Alchremie but I kind of like that idea, thanks!

User Info: ss4gogeta_dark

ss4gogeta_dark
6 days ago#9
Sure is. I'm running

252 Atk, 252 Spe 4HP
Adamant

Hype Form
Wild Charge
Poison jab (might swap back to gunk shot)
Boom Burst
Shift Gear

With punk rock Boom Burst has enough of a power gain to not require special ev spread. I might swap it with Overdrive or another sound move if I can since it doesn't help in doubles. But with Punk Rock it's effectively a mixed glass sweeper.
PSN - FHHeroxoot|Steam - Heroxoot
Twitch.tv/heroxoot

KeybladeKid1127
6 days ago#10
ss4gogeta_dark posted...
Sure is. I'm running

252 Atk, 252 Spe 4HP
Adamant

Hype Form
Wild Charge
Poison jab (might swap back to gunk shot)
Boom Burst
Shift Gear

With punk rock Boom Burst has enough of a power gain to not require special ev spread. I might swap it with Overdrive or another sound move if I can since it doesn't help in doubles. But with Punk Rock it's effectively a mixed glass sweeper.

I was considering takings some EVs out of SpAtk and putting them towards something else, but what item are running with this set?
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Shield
  3. is Toxtricity really this frail?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Answers