Shouldn't Meltan be National Pokedex number be 808 not 891?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon for Nintendo Switch
  3. Shouldn't Meltan be National Pokedex number be 808 not 891?

User Info: StarWarsfan1984

StarWarsfan1984
1 month ago#1
Considering that Victini is National Pokedex number 494 instead of 649, why did GameFreak put Meltan so late in the Pokedex and spoil how many Pokemon are going to be in Gen 8?
Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-0539-9116-6212 Name: Jeremy
Pokemon Go Friend Code: 2420-6677-4818

User Info: paipr

paipr
1 month ago#2
I don't think 891 is used in any official way.

And I think several have noted that the 891 may actually reference it's overall model number not so much it's Dex number
Gen8 challenge. Ill use Electric/Fighting, Rock/Ghost, or Bug/Ice.
FC Paipr: 0602-6823-9646

User Info: Solar_Crimson

Solar_Crimson
1 month ago#3
There's speculation that "891" is its index number, not its official Pokedex number.

And yeah, "891" has not shown up in any official capacity as of yet.
Be wary of boarding the hype train, lest you end up on the ruse cruise... - nanobuilder (r/nintendo)
http://backloggery.com/SolarCrimson

User Info: GuitaristMatt

GuitaristMatt
1 month ago#4
It's in let's go (capturable). Confirming Pokedex number 808.
PC | PS4 | Vita | PS3 | PSP | PS2 | PS1 | NS | Wii U | New 3DS | Wii | DS lite | GCN + GBP | GBA SP | GBA | GBC | SNES | GB | NES | 360

User Info: Andrex_93

Andrex_93
1 month ago#5
It doesn't need to be 808 to be used as cross-promotion Mythical (see Magearna), but 891 was discovered to be the number of its texture "pack", not the number of the Pokémon itself; for reference, Zeraora's textures are listed as 887, IIRC.
"Actors are agents of change. A film, a piece of theater, a piece of music, or a book can make a difference. It can change the world." - Alan Rickman

GuitaristMatt
1 month ago#6
Andrex_93 posted...
It doesn't need to be 808 to be used as cross-promotion Mythical (see Magearna), but 891 was discovered to be the number of its texture "pack", not the number of the Pokémon itself; for reference, Zeraora's textures are listed as 887, IIRC.

You couldn't catch magearna in gen 6 though
PC | PS4 | Vita | PS3 | PSP | PS2 | PS1 | NS | Wii U | New 3DS | Wii | DS lite | GCN + GBP | GBA SP | GBA | GBC | SNES | GB | NES | 360

User Info: paipr

paipr
1 month ago#7
GuitaristMatt posted...
Andrex_93 posted...

I'll say this much for the Magearna vs. Meltan comparison.

Magearna feels like it should be a Gen6 Pokemon. Meltan doesn't quite have the "vibe to it" to fit with alot of the gen7 Pokemon.
Gen8 challenge. Ill use Electric/Fighting, Rock/Ghost, or Bug/Ice.
FC Paipr: 0602-6823-9646

Andrex_93
1 month ago#8
GuitaristMatt posted...
Andrex_93 posted...

And, as far as we know, you can't catch Meltan in a Gen 7 game. LGPE, from that POV, should be considered a spin-off, even though I personally would count it completely outside of the Gen count, especially if they manage to launch it as a side-series, and we'll therefore get the LGPE Generations alongside the core ones.

As far as I'm concerned, from what we know so far at least and for how Pokémon does things, Meltan is Gen 8.
"Actors are agents of change. A film, a piece of theater, a piece of music, or a book can make a difference. It can change the world." - Alan Rickman

GuitaristMatt
1 month ago#9
Andrex_93 posted...
GuitaristMatt posted...
Andrex_93 posted...

And, as far as we know, you can't catch Meltan in a Gen 7 game. LGPE, from that POV, should be considered a spin-off, even though I personally would count it completely outside of the Gen count, especially if they manage to launch it as a side-series, and we'll therefore get the LGPE Generations alongside the core ones.

As far as I'm concerned, from what we know so far at least and for how Pokémon does things, Meltan is Gen 8.

It didn't matter what you're concerned with. I don't know why this is such a big deal to some of you, and who cares what gen it is from.

You can catch it in lgpe. It's number 808.

Andrex_93
1 month ago#10
GuitaristMatt posted...
Andrex_93 posted...
GuitaristMatt posted...
Andrex_93 posted...

It didn't matter what you're concerned with. I don't know why this is such a big deal to some of you, and who cares what gen it is from.

You can catch it in lgpe. It's number 808.

It's not a big deal to me? I simply thought it was pretty obvious that it was a new Gen Pokémon, at least/especially for how they seem to be marketing it. From your response, it seems this is a big deal to you, tbh, for whatever reason.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon for Nintendo Switch
  3. Shouldn't Meltan be National Pokedex number be 808 not 891?
  • Topic Archived