• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. So which defender weapons are worth using?
guitarluva1 1 year ago#1
So many of these new weapons look so good especially since they can all be augmented twice.

Is there a guide anywhere to which ones have replaced the old weapons for meta sets?
All around the Sta-actus plant, the stalker chased the bandit, the stalker thought 'twas all in fun - POP! Goes the bandit!
Caliginosus 1 year ago#2
Iirc almost all are good and roughly equal to the best weapons/are the best weapons now.
Only the Bow and HH seem to be not too great. The CB is a bit worse too but it's not that much of a difference.
I tried out the defender LS and hit around 1,5k with a peak performance set and the evasion mantle boost.
The GL is basically broken afaik.
What is positive, very small and meows? A cation. *ba-dum-ts*
Admin and the official Jho Whisperer of the Apex Predators.
tatter 1 year ago#3
guitarluva1 posted...
So many of these new weapons look so good especially since they can all be augmented twice.

Is there a guide anywhere to which ones have replaced the old weapons for meta sets?
The Bow has been a literal blast so far. Makes it so much easier to separate tails from monsters, just focus the tail until it blows up 3 times then Dragon Piercer and hit it again, so far it's always come right off, even for Black Diablos.

Even on critters nearly immune to blast damage, it still does higher raw damage than any other bow I have access to, and the upgrade materials are just stupid easy to acquire.
Free_san 1 year ago#4
If you're already playing bow the easier-late-game way (spamming non dragon piercer shots), non elemental bow as a whole is awful. It is a decent allrounder until you can get proper elemental bows though.

HH lacks the notes for useful and needed buffs. No red note really hurts it.

HBG is not spread type, but it is very strong at pierce. Which is great on certain monsters (xeno, bazel).

LBG is great at normal 2 rapid fire, and easily the strongest for this purpose. However, you have deviation to work with. Not really for the bullets themselves as you'll be pretty close, but the direction your aim moves after firing a salvo of normal2. Can cause issues here and there, but minor ones overall.

All the weapons have raw damage equal to the deviljho line of weapons. With vastly better sharpness and no negative affinity, along with blast in most cases. As already stated, they're easily top contenders or are outright the best. You can't go wrong with them in the vast majority of cases.
vinz2 1 year ago#5
I wonder why they did them this way.

I mean to catch up noobies/alts there is really no need to get meta weapons right off the bat.
Might even go so far to say that it disincentivises new players from actually trying jump into the game and get familliar with the game before iceborn.

Not to mention the divide between PC and Consoles that this creates. There's a load of reddit topics with pc players that feel like their effort has been invalidated and a bunch of console players telling them it doesn't matter. I can see both sides here but its not like those reactions suprise anyone.

And as predictable as these consequences are i do have to assume that they knew exactly what they were doing when they implemented "free" meta tier 1 weapons for pc one month before the iceborne release instead of some just "good enough" weapons.

But whats the angle here? Whats the gain (i assume it drives sales in some way but idk)?
Trainspotting
Caliginosus 1 year ago#6
Imo the defender weapons are simply not needed.
If you want some strong weapons to finish off HR, you could go for Jho most of the time or pick most other endgame stuff. Sure, it's not perfect but it should be enough until you can craft your first MR weapons.
I can understand why they made the defender weapons this way but imo that is something MH doesn't need. Now you can rush through HR, yeah. The main issue with that is how easy you get too depended on your gear. This was always a key aspect in MH, including World itself, to not only learn the monster's attacks but also how to use your weapon the most in the given situation. Of course you can learn that in MR as well but it's going to be a lot tougher and many people will probaly wonder why the game suddenly got so much harder.
So, yeah. I think there is no need for them the way they are.
What is positive, very small and meows? A cation. *ba-dum-ts*
Admin and the official Jho Whisperer of the Apex Predators.
FlameIce87 1 year ago#7
well yes, defender weapons are much better than the previous meta, but still, it requires skills to master it.

ppl are still carting to AT despite full meta builds with defender weapons. AT nerg is still a bit*h
guitarluva1 1 year ago#8
FlameIce87 posted...
well yes, defender weapons are much better than the previous meta, but still, it requires skills to master it.

ppl are still carting to AT despite full meta builds with defender weapons. AT nerg is still a bit*h
Going into an AT hunt with a full meta build is a bad idea to begin with.

The mhw meta is all about max dps, unless you're a god tier player you should throw a few defensive skills into your AT builds.
All around the Sta-actus plant, the stalker chased the bandit, the stalker thought 'twas all in fun - POP! Goes the bandit!
supersayandoyle 1 year ago#9
All Defender weapons are better than anything you can get for the first several ranks, and upgrading them puts them above all the weapons for the next several ranks, etc.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. So which defender weapons are worth using?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A