• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. So, do you use your main weps because of the damage or because you find it fun?

User Info: Fairycancel

Fairycancel
5 days ago#1
I get it, guns are easier to do well with but I don't understand why people have such a hard on for guns on this particular MH. Ranged weps have always been great in MH so nothing have changed in that regard :/.

MHW Ign: Mordecai, Soleil | PSN: Fairy-Uvinq
Often uses: LS, IG, DBs, Lance and GL

User Info: dogbertius

dogbertius
5 days ago#2
I got pretty good with every weapon in MH3U and Tri. Always enjoyed the GS most. And now they nerfed the "hit and run" crit draw + focus strategy that's worked forever, and it's another chain-combo weapon (i.e. boring).

Zinogre shield HBG + damage boosts just makes hunts dead easy. I can churn out massive damage while half asleep and never get hit, and still pull off better runs than my best "try hard" GS efforts. Also, given the atrocious state of decoration RNG + farming in this game, I can't say I blame people for going full-cheese with sticky or spread HBG builds.
I play far too many different weapons to call anything a main. But besides LBG, I also don’t play ranged much. Damage isn’t my only motivation, though when I play a weapon, I am interested in getting as much damage from it as I reasonably can.

Hell, I’m playing IG again, and yeah, I still hate the management, but I did miss the glaive and its moveset. And working in the dive is pretty fun. While there will always be room for improvement when it comes to balancing weapons, as far as melee weapons goes, they did a good job, and I don’t feel like I can’t bring a certain weapon to a fight unless I just really suck with that matchup.
Support for optimism: Nearly everyone I meet is some poor sod who doesn't realize what they've got, and I'm the worst offender.
We all learn when we lose it.

User Info: Enclosure

Enclosure
5 days ago#4
I play a lot of weapons, but SnS is probably my highest usage right now unless the monster is in the 'ran too many times, just a tedious grind now' category like Safi and KT in which case I just use whatever will kill it faster.
http://imgur.com/wNyX55h.jpg

User Info: MandalorianSun

MandalorianSun
5 days ago#5
who knows why people pick faves and mains. My faves in base world were sns main, then cb, ig, gl and db as alternates.

now in IB, I’ve stopped sns and db, since the range and clutch claw don’t serve those weapons as well, and I’ve stopped cb, since it’s gone elemental, and with less time to sharpen, that sharpness loss on blocks gets annoying.

in IB, the main is lance, with ig and gl as the alternates. Lance has best clutch claw mechanics and attack in the game, and the other two sidestep tenderize entirely.

Although, even though the IG can be a bit of a chore, I’ve realized that it is the most versatile weapon in the whole game, and may switch to it as main. It can use status, element and raw at same time, it can break every single part on safi, it breaks kt horns, it’s good against extremoth, ancient leshen, can hit Luna wings, kushala face at at any time, all the different monsters it can handle and parts it can break.

whereas, lance has it’s fatal weakness to pin attacks, almost no way of avoiding them since all its mobility has no iframes. Extremoth really made that clear to me when i solo’d.

GL sucks against enemies with high hp and good hitzones, like MR kulve and A. leshen are atrocious with gunlance.

i don’t really like it when a weapon has monsters whose design really screws over that weapon.

Also, I don’t play guns/bow, because i hate ammo management, low defense, and the melee combat too satisfying.

Official Salty Tears of DS2

User Info: Fairycancel

Fairycancel
5 days ago#6
MandalorianSun posted...
who knows why people pick faves and mains. My faves in base world were sns main, then cb, ig, gl and db as alternates.

now in IB, I’ve stopped sns and db, since the range and clutch claw don’t serve those weapons as well, and I’ve stopped cb, since it’s gone elemental, and with less time to sharpen, that sharpness loss on blocks gets annoying.

in IB, the main is lance, with ig and gl as the alternates. Lance has best clutch claw mechanics and attack in the game, and the other two sidestep tenderize entirely.

Although, even though the IG can be a bit of a chore, I’ve realized that it is the most versatile weapon in the whole game, and may switch to it as main. It can use status, element and raw at same time, it can break every single part on safi, it breaks kt horns, it’s good against extremoth, ancient leshen, can hit Luna wings, kushala face at at any time, all the different monsters it can handle and parts it can break.

whereas, lance has it’s fatal weakness to pin attacks, almost no way of avoiding them since all its mobility has no iframes. Extremoth really made that clear to me when i solo’d.

GL sucks against enemies with high hp and good hitzones, like MR kulve and A. leshen are atrocious with gunlance.

i don’t really like it when a weapon has monsters whose design really screws over that weapon.

Also, I don’t play guns/bow, because i hate ammo management, low defense, and the melee combat too satisfying.
Sns and db are pretty darn great right now. They got little problems if at all. Db likes to tender a whole lot lol
MHW Ign: Mordecai, Soleil | PSN: Fairy-Uvinq
Often uses: LS, IG, DBs, Lance and GL

User Info: lPixels

lPixels
5 days ago#7
For multiplayer, I mainly use weapons that can still put out respectable damage when wounding isn’t consistent, or when the monster is facing away. Shelling focused GL, elemental CB, or pierce/elemental/sticky gunning.

For solo, I don’t main anything for too long and just have fun with every weapon.
PSN ID: aQualityBuild

User Info: potatocharlie

potatocharlie
5 days ago#8
Been using the gunlance since HR in the base game but it's so hard not to use it in Iceborne.

Super defensive.
Great offense.
Ignores Affinity, WEx, etc
Ignore Clutch Claw - HUGE FACTOR
Constant damage ANYWHERE on the monster
Utility allows for tons of fun mixing
Hi. I'm Potato Charlie.

User Info: Dethuli

Dethuli
5 days ago#9
Both damage and fun. As a hammer main and solo player, the mobility and ease of use was appealing. I don't feel like hammer is particularly ineffective versus any monster, and clutch claw is great at dealing with flyers.

I've dabbled with GS, LS, CB, and HBG, but hammer is almost always my default pick.
Don't ask questions. Consume product. Get excited for next product.

User Info: OhGood

OhGood
5 days ago#10
Fun for sure, i couldnt care less about DPS.

I use GS the majority of the time but have put in a lot of hours with Lance and IG. In past games i used DB and SnS a lot more but i rarely use them in MHW.

I refuse to use longsword because im a OG hunter that still has deep deep deep PTSD over the amount of tripping LS users use to do in freedom and freedom unite
Everything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter: World
  3. So, do you use your main weps because of the damage or because you find it fun?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A